Hightstown Parks and Recreation
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 24s
Overall Rank = 133/207
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

At my by now standard pre-race smoothie: peaches and bananas, although I used white grape juice this time instead of Pom (which I couldn't find yesterday while I was out).
Event warmup:

Walk to the race site with TSW and getting set up, not much in the way of warm-up beyond that and shaking the arms loose before getting into the water.
Swim
  • 13m 10s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Feel like I started pretty good, hanging with the crowd, even managing to practice drafting a little bit. Then, just like last race, something happened and the pack was gone. Did not handle the turns well at all. By the time I was headed back toward T1 I was breathing pretty hard. Backstroked a little, but not too much. Looking at the course, it seemed way longer than they said it was, but given my time (which includes a little bit of a jog in the water to get back to a barely missed buoy) it was probably OK.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know...just keep practicing and getting more comfortable in the water. Don't imagine I'm ever going to get even remotely fast.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Wetsuit got stuck both on my heels and on the Garmin on my wrist. Given how close my spot was from the swim entrance this time is not that good. And yet...somehow I was 90th overall! Seemed like a slow transition to me, because I just seemed to be moving slow and in a discombobulated fashion.

Stay a little calmer, move a little smoother.
Bike
  • 52m 32s
  • 15.35 miles
  • 17.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent ride. I think I managed to maintain a pretty good pace that wasn't too fast nor too slow.

Not a lot. I always think I can push harder, and maybe I could have here, but I didn't want to jeopardize the run. Of course, given the run being much shorter than I thought it was, I probably could've burned a few more matches on the bike course. But who knew both the bike and run distances would be so far off?
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

124th overall.

Not much, I was OK here.
Run
  • 23m 36s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Generally OK with the run. Ended up shorter than advertised, which I didn't realize until I was almost done. Winding through some neighborhood past old houses, came across a guy running the other way - assume he was cooling down - and he said we were only about a quarter-mile from done. Given my Garmin read 2.25 at the time, I thought it was pretty uncool for this guy to be getting our hopes up like that. Then I turned the corner and there's the lake and the finish line.

Not much, I was pleased overall with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around looking for TSW who was, for about 20 minutes, absolutely nowhere to be found. I got a bagel and some juice, just kept walking between the finish line and transition, worried to death something might've happened to her (she took a walk during the race). Eventually just started packing up transition figuring that's where she'd go, and she eventually came over, giving me a bit of a lambaste for being absolutely nowhere to be found and worrying her to death.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the swim, as usual. Overall position was pretty close to mid-pack, though, so I'm not displeased with the result.

Event comments:

Pretty good race, and pretty organized given the venue, which I thought would be a disaster given we started the whole thing and finished smack in the middle of Hightstown. But DQ pulled it off nicely. I'll probably do it again.

Last updated: 2012-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:10 | 440 yards | 02m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 148/207
Performance: Below average
Suit: Synergy full
Course: Got in the water by the Hightstown Library, swam straight out down the lake (looked pretty darn far, too), made a couple of quick right-hand turns, then straight back to transition, where we ran out of the water across what looked like a large Persian rug.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:32 | 15.35 miles | 17.53 mile/hr
Overall: 97/207
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Out from Hightstown, across the turnpike and out into the cornfields - hard to believe this is Central Jersey - then back into town past the Peddie School. Not completely flat, but not much in the way of rollers or hills either. Absolutely NOT 14 miles, so I'm using GPS distance, which jives with several others who measured similar results.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:36 | 02.5 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 152/207
Performance: Good
Course: An absolute maze of a run all over Hightstown. I couldn't repeat the course if my life depended on it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes