General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 30m 1s
Overall Rank = /600
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 31/105
Pre-race routine:

This will be a strange race report. This was an on again off again event for me and then the day itself threw some interesting events into the mix. Pretty much my last triathlon prior to Saturday was a DNF at this very race 2yrs ago. I had a flat in T1 and then a 2nd flat at mile 20 which ended my day back then. I did do a little sprint back in June of this year to try and stoke the fire to do tri's again after taking 2yrs off.
I got injured about 12 weeks ago which basically caused me to throw in the towel for this one. My training was sub standard to say the least. In the 12wks coming into race day I logged a total of 278mi Biking, 41mi running, and 19500yds swimming. I live 4mi from the start of the race and I had paid for it, so I figured lets at least go out for a swim and bike ride. As the race got closer I decided that I was going to see if I could catch Louiskie on the bike (I knew he would get out the water before me). I figured if I was right around him at T2 then I would run with him and try and help him reach a sub 5 HIM.

Event warmup:

hang out with Louiskie and d00d in T1 and then catch the shuttle to the start.
Swim
  • 27m 43s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was not bad. I never really had a good rythym. I was sort of forcing it. Had moments were I seemed to get in a groove, but they never lasted. I told myself to stay way left after the turn and I think that really helped.
What would you do differently?:

Obv swim a whole lot more. As for on the day, I would try and relax and swim more smoothly
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Solid T1. I never really tried to hurry, I just did it. Strippers were pretty good (I would slip em a dollar for thier work)

nuttin
Bike
  • 2h 38m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.26 mile/hr
Comments:

So this is where things get funky. Can anyone say Deja Vu? 2yrs ago when I DNF'ed it all started with a flat in T1. Well guess how this one started?? Ran my bike over the timing mats and went to jump on and my front wheel sort of squirms beneath me. Are you serious. Reach down and my front is as soft as a babies bottom. This really sucked because I had taken extra care compared to 2yrs ago. I installed my latex tubes and vittoria's over a week prior to the race so I could be sure they were good. I rode 4x on the latex prior to the race and all was good. On the morning of the race they were inflated, but I went to top them with air because latex always loses some. Get the nice folks to top me back up to 105PSI and I am off. Not sure what happened, but I had a flat. Get myself in a huff but eventually get a butyl tube in the wheel and get going. I actually stopped my watch and then restarted once I got back on. So officially I rode 2:38, but on my watch I rode 2:31:23.
The actual ride was not a good one. At 1st I thought just calm down and get going and it will be good. My legs just never came around. I rode smooth and had a VI of 1.02, but could never get the power I wanted. Planned on riding around 215NP and actually ended up with 205NP, so quite a bit lower than planned. Frustrating because despite the lack of training I did a 40 and a 50mi ride in the last 2 weeks and had no real problem riding at 215. Race day it just was not there.

I actually think swim training might help. i think I kick alot while swimming and my hammies are dead tired when I get on the bike. Maybe swimming kills my bike legs.
Transition 2
  • 18m 15s
Comments:

So I will have to check my records, but I think this might be one of my slower T2's.
If you remember way way way back at the beginning of this report I said that if I could catch Louis I would run with him. So with the flat on the bike I never did catch him,so I was not sure wether to stop or what to do. Race # wise we were pretty close 1202 and 1222 so our T2 bags were not far apart. As I was getting mine I saw Louis' bag still hanging there. I was like what the hell, I didn't pass him on the bike what is up. Well I get my shoes on and then decide to wait b/c I figure he will be along shortly. As it turns out Louis is directionaly cahllenged and was sorta eager to do the full IM so he missed the turn for the HIM. After I while I was not sure what to do, but in came Louis. I was secretly cussing him b/c now i was going to have to run 13mi and after a bike that was way harder than it should have been I was ok with finding a shady spot to sit.

I would say screw Louis I am outa here. he has already given me my biltong no point in waiting now (Yep of the 1 or maybe 2 peeps reading this at this point, you are saying what in earth is he rambling on about now) Louis was kind enough to bring me a South SAfrican delicacy (Biltong or dried meat in simple english)and gave it to me in T1.
Run
  • 2h 02m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Unfortunately Louis had a knee issue and we were not able to run quite what I had hoped to help him run. It was still a good time out there in my mind and hopefully I made it a touch easier for Louis to get to the end during a pretty crappy day at the running office for him.

nada
Post race
Warm down:

Put flip flops on because I wore shoes that I had never worn without socks before and had a bloody mess on both of my heels

Event comments:

Set up does a good job and this i sa must do race.

Last updated: 2012-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:43 | 2078 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/105
Overall: 116/600
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full
Course: Straight down Banks Channel then a left to seapath
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:38:04 | 56 miles | 21.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/105
Overall: 75/600
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Flat lollipop type of course with 12mi on an interstate
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 18:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:02:52 | 13.1 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/105
Overall: 172/600
Performance:
Course: Flat out and back with 1 or 2 little climbs
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-21 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2012-10-22 7:44 PM
in reply to: #4462345

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Post a race report, ya bum!
2012-10-22 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4464440

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

d00d - 2012-10-22 8:44 PM Post a race report, ya bum!

What you talking about? There i sa monster report right there  Wink

2012-10-23 6:58 AM
in reply to: #4462345

User image

Veteran

Way to handle the day!...and that is a solid ride inclusive of the flat tire.

And srsly, a 27 min swim on 19,000 yards of training! That is awesome...intentional or not, you train for the swim like I do. Sweet.

Great job out there.

2012-10-23 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4464822

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

This report cracked me up. I agree about the 27 min swim...for a self-proclaimed non-swimmer I really wonder what you could do with 3 regular swims a week! You might surprise yourself! I am actually really impressed at your bike- that is rock solid given your training, even if you missed your power numbers. And I know all about your run. you forgot to add the most important part: Louis walks faster than I do :-)

Had some biltong last night. I think it should have dried longer and I should have added some more spices. It needs something. I will tweak and repeat for Raleigh. Now just stay healthy and rock that race! I want to see what you can do with a cautious, injury-free build up!

2012-12-22 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4465163

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
louiskie - 2012-10-23 11:03 AM

This report cracked me up. I agree about the 27 min swim...for a self-proclaimed non-swimmer I really wonder what you could do with 3 regular swims a week! You might surprise yourself! I am actually really impressed at your bike- that is rock solid given your training, even if you missed your power numbers. And I know all about your run. you forgot to add the most important part: Louis walks faster than I do :-)

Had some biltong last night. I think it should have dried longer and I should have added some more spices. It needs something. I will tweak and repeat for Raleigh. Now just stay healthy and rock that race! I want to see what you can do with a cautious, injury-free build up!

Cracked me up, too.

Man, you're a gifted athlete, brother. To not train and still throw down a 5:30 is amazing...and that includes waiting for ppl and talking to others. You're the man!

Hope to see you out there next year.

Edited by d00d 2012-12-22 9:12 AM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed