General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
37F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 04m 5s
Overall Rank = 80/112
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

1st ever half so didn't really know what to do other than be nervous and try to stay warm in the wet suit. Swimming is my strength and I don't need warm-up so my plan all along was to jump in the water and go out easy using the swim as my warm-up and that seemed to work pretty well.
Swim
  • 25m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 14s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I ran for a good portion of the start of the race in order to save my arms. I was keeping up with the leaders and thought that as long as I could stay with the group while running I should be able to pass most of them once I started swimming, which I did.
Transition 1
  • 05m 1s
Comments:

Because it was so cold I originally planned on wearing insulated Under Armor under my biking jersey and a skull cap so I put both of those on and realized I was very hot so I ended up taking both of them off. My T1 wouldn't have been a lot faster but maybe a minute or 2 if I hadn't had to change clothes twice. I had decided early in my training that I didnt care about transition times and would use them to relax and it seemed to work.

Not put on the Under Armor to start with.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 34s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Because of the cold weather my nose was very stuffy and I could either breath or eat, not both so I chose to breath. Not a big deal during the bike but this became a problem during the run when I hit a major wall. Remember GU packs instead of solids next time.

Would have consumed calories as a GU or shot block instead of protein bar so I could breath and eat at the same time.
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Took my time and was very comfortable

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 25m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran good for me for about three miles then slowed considerably for three miles then hit a wall. I think the lack of caloric intake on the bike really hurt as did the lack of run training.

Train more on distance running.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Failing to train for the run properly (my fault). Not being able to eat my calories like I had planned (my noses fault). and my lack of athletic ability (my parents fault) lol!

Event comments:

They ran out of medals. I really don't NEED one but since it may very well be my only half I kinda would have liked one. There were only about 400 people total at the event so it seems like they could have made plans for enough. I had signed up about 8 months before the race so it's not like they didn't know I was coming. I have also been VERY disappointed in the photography at HFP race events. I think they just give a camera to a couple of their workers and say "take some pictures" the first race I was in they had no pictures of me or the guy I race with (not even at the finish line) and at this race they took three photos at the finish line and one on the bike. They got some great pics of several dogs that were hanging around at the venue though.

Last updated: 2012-10-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:56 | 2112 yards | 01m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 0/112
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue seventy full
Course: Course was a double loop and had to be short because there is no way I swam 1.2 in 25.56 but the water temp was surprisingly warm for how cold it was outside.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:03:34 | 56 miles | 18.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/9
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course was very flat except the out and back and the last 1/2 mile before coming in to the start area and those hills were killer. The bike was also short by about 2 miles but the headwinds more than made up for that. We started the day with light breeze and 37 degrees and by my second of three laps I would guess we had 15-20 MPH gusts with a lot of headwinds. I was pretty happy with the bike because I just wanted to be over 17MPH
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:25:39 | 13.1 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/9
Performance: Below average
Course: incredibly flat with a short distance across grass
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-10-21 4:52 PM

User image

Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed