General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-21 7:44 PM

Subject: Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan
I have not ordered the "Be Iron Fit" book yet. Considering I do not have a heart rate monitor, is this a better plan to follow than the BT plan on this sight for first full IM?

2012-10-21 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4462686

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan
I looked at Be Iron Fit, ordered the book online for $9.00, using the Kindle app on the Computer, I reviewed the Beginner BT Plan and also have the Matt Fitzgerald Ironman Plans Level 1-10 to Consider. I have used the Fitzgerald Plans for Sprint, OLY and Half Distances. I eventually went with a custom plan developewd as a Gold Membership on BT. 28 week plan. with my own pacing used. I think it will be fine. I was able to design a plan to focus on my limiters and more run opportunities over the span of the week. I am a little concerned about the run mileage so I may put more miles onto some of the shorter runs each week. I was also able to move some of my workouts forward or backwards so I could do a few Sprints and an Oly during the training. So the total plan is now about 31 weeks instead of 28.One of he other things I id was try to coordinate some of my long rides with Organized Rides on the weekend. I will do a 100 miler and a 61 miler as part of a group which helps.Good Luck it is not easy picking one.
2012-10-22 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

ironcop17 - 2012-10-21 8:44 PM I have not ordered the "Be Iron Fit" book yet. Considering I do not have a heart rate monitor, is this a better plan to follow than the BT plan on this sight for first full IM?

You are going to be spending upwards of 7 months training for an Ironman. Do yourself a favor and get something with a heart rate monitor regardless of the plan you choose. For long distance training, I believe it is probably the most important tool we have for "training smart".  Sure you can do all the training w/o one, but if you are working too hard, it can make a looooong day of racing.  Just ask anyone who has consitantly trained at a HR too high for a marathon and what happens 3 hours in.  Learn to train/work effeciently because your body can only work so hard before it say "enough already".  Don't work hard enough and you won't make improvements in your training (which doesn't effect raceday but I believe everyone hopes that through the course of training you get faster).

Good luck!

2012-10-22 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
The book is work the price just for all of the good information it has.  I don't know your background, but this is my first year racing sprints and OLYs and I'm working toward longer distances next year.  The book has it's training plans, but it gives a lot of great insight to the nuts and bolts of IM training.  Not just what to do on Tuesday, but how to manage time, what to expect mentally, and other important issues that aren't part of a "plan". 
2012-10-22 6:48 PM

Great advice everyone, thanks!

2012-10-22 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
I actually used the BT beginners IM program last year and finished he IM in 12:49, this year I am using Be Iron Fit Competitive plan and I like it a lot better and feel that I am getting faster by using HR instead of RPE.....but I will see how I do in Novemebr....

2012-10-24 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have used the "Be Iron Fit" plan (advanced) and liked it.  Good results.
2012-10-25 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I did my first IM on the BT beginner plan.  I trained for my second using the Be Iron Fit competitive plan.

I recommend purchasing the book, as mentioned for all the great advice and information in there.  I really liked the early part of the plan for it's regularity.  For instance, each day of the week has the same work out as the same day last week.  I liked the swim workouts.  Watch out though, it ramps up steeply at the end, and there are no recovery weeks in the last several weeks.  I ended up injured going into my IM.   I recommend the BT plans, esepcially for a first time IM.

So this year I'm back to one of the BT plans, and I like it better.

2012-10-26 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4467177

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

amymengel - 2012-10-24 1:16 PM I have used the "Be Iron Fit" plan (advanced) and liked it.  Good results.

X2.  I used the same plan and felt more then ready come race day.  The nice thing about starting out in the advanced or competitive plan is that if it becomes to much you can easily drop down to the intermediate level, or the just finish plan.  The only negative is that I found the swim workouts to be rather lame and used swim workouts from BT or online Masters sites and even though it starts out rather easy the plan is long.  If I get the opportunity to do another full  I'll likely pull out the BIF book again.

As Jasha mentioned it's easy to follow as each day of the week just keeps building throughout the plan.  With my schedule (firefighter 24 hour shifts) this made it easy for me to plan on the longer days on off days as I had to move things around quite a bit depending on my schedule.

I did use a BT Silver Half Iron plan for my first iron distance and that worked well too. 

2012-10-30 8:24 AM

Im on the fence between Fink and the BT beginner Ironman plan.  Most of the BT plans here are really heavy on the swim volume. I might have to alter it because Im  weak on the bike.

Edited by BUBBLEHEAD 2012-10-30 8:29 AM
2012-10-31 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4474823

User image

A veteran IM'r suggested Gale Bernhardts Training for multi sport triathletes. Several plans to chose from. I started with the 26 week plan then switched the last 13 weeks to the "13 weeks to a sub-13 hr IM". It's very comparable to Don Finks as far as time management. I'll let you know how it turns out. My first IM will be Arizona in a couple of weeks.  

2012-11-01 2:24 PM

New user

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm trying to choose a plan now for IMTX and am torn between the BT free beginner plan, and a David Glover plan through TP. This BIF book/plan sounds good - I may have to look into that too.
2012-11-01 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4479052

User image

Expert
Salem
jenhhill - 2012-11-01 12:24 PMThanks for the input, everyone. I'm trying to choose a plan now for IMTX and am torn between the BT free beginner plan, and a David Glover plan through TP. This BIF book/plan sounds good - I may have to look into that too.
JENNHILL - I BOUGHT THE BE IRONFIT BOOK AS A ELECTRONIC VERSION WITH A KINDLE READER ON MY COMPUTER. COST WAS $9.OO AND A FEW CENTS. CAN'T PRINT BUT IMMEDIATE ACCESS TO THE PLAN AND BOOK.
2012-11-08 2:38 AM

User image

Hi, I'm Andrea

I bought the book on Amazon eBook and I'm very happy. I'll start the " competitive plan" the next month.  I read a lot of review and the peoples are very happy with a good result. The swim will be a problem, but it's not a specific problem of this plan. I'm not a good swimmer. 

I'll use it for my 2th IM

2012-11-17 6:33 PM

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
I followed the Beginner Ironman plan on BT for Florida this year and finished 13:45. I like this plan because it is easily adaptable to my life and the volume is sufficient without being crazy. I think I could have finished even faster if I didn't have a nagging ankle issue that flared up on the run. 2014 watch out!
2012-11-21 4:36 AM

User image

My IM time is 13:06 in this moment. I'll use "Be Iron Fit - competitive plan" for the next IM and I'll start the first monday of december. I read a lot of good review and I talked with amy. I hope to reduce the final time, but I must learn to swim :D

( I bought the book from my kindle device )

2012-11-25 1:32 PM

User image

I bought "be Iron Fit" the book form and used it. Loved it. I liked the book option better as it was easier to go back and forth between pages.

2012-11-26 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
The info alone is worth the book, but I found the plan worked very well for me completing my first IM this year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan Rss Feed