United States
tri-the-beach
Precipitation
Total Time = 56m 31s
Overall Rank = 12/317
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up, showered, had some Gatorade, a few donut holes, then hopped on the bike for the 4 mile ride down to the race. It was dark and misting, but it was a pretty nice warmup.
Event warmup:

Once I got my spot setup, I jogged down to the water to see what the conditions were, then back. Then it was a half mile walk down to the pier for the swim start. Swam around for a bit, bodysurfed a few waves, and chatted with Chris "Macca" McCormack for a few seconds. Yes, that guy was doing this small little local tri just because it looked fun. made the day extra special for the rest of us for sure!
Swim
  • 18m 11s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim training has been non-existent. With that said, my swim felt pretty solid. Its obvious I need to get in the pool at least a little bit if I want to hand with the lead guys, but pool training is the hardest of the three to fit into my life, so I rely on decent technique and overall fitness. :D
I was in the first wave (we were self seeded by prospective swim time) and it was a group of about 50.
Gun went off and we had a diagonal run down the beach, then a long wade/skip/jump/dive move to get over the shallow lowtide sandbar. Got out through the waves no problem and around the first bouy. Swim was pretty uneventful, then it was a turn towards shore and a long run (a good 200 yards) run through deep sand up to T1 (included in swim time.) My Garmin shows a bit longer than .5 miles, and actual swim time of 16:something.
What would you do differently?:

Actually train in the pool!
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Quick T for me. Kept it simple. suit off, belt on , helmet on....on my way. Shoes were already clipped in.
Bike
  • 18m 35s
  • 7 miles
  • 22.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off on the bike feeling good. Got up to speed quickly and just hammered away. They'd shortened the course for some reason, but because this a heavily used recreational path that wasnt closed to the public, they had really stressed the safety aspect, and there was no passing allowed 100 yards before or after the the 3 underpasses we hot both out and back. Being in that first wave was good....I passed half a dozen people or so, and never got passed myself. Felt really strong and had a good solid ride. Dismounted cleanly after taking feet out of my shoes, and jogged into T2.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Helmet off, shoes on, go. Wore my Zoot Kiawes since I realized that morning that the entire run was in deep sand and thought they would help me stay on the surface more than bare feet would.
Run
  • 17m 50s
  • 2.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy crap this sucked! race advertised a mix of soft and hardpacked sand. Only remotely hardpacked stuff was the tire tracks from the lifeguards, but even that was only a minor improvement. I just started plugging away, shortening my stride as best I could. I was able to count off people ahead of me by the turnaround, and other than being passed by one elite (podcaster Tawnee Prazak) I was never passed by anyone. I saw Macca go by about a 1/4 of the way into the run, and he had the biggest grin on his face. Blazing fast and happy as can be. Crossed the finish line with the closest person a little ways back, and I knew I had to be in the top of my AG. I was tired, but happy.
Post race
Warm down:

My wife had dragged the kids out of bed to come cheer me on, so it was great to see them. Went over to the timing tent and saw that I was second in the AG, 10th male, and 12th overall. I had remembered reading that they were only awarding the top spot in each group, and my daughter had a soccer game, so we quickly departed. It wasnt till later that I realized that 1) Macca was in my AG and he was the #1 spot, and 2)the RD had said Macca wouldn't be taking any podium spots. DOH! That means I missed out on me very first triathlon AG win! Oh well. I now have a results page printed for framing that has my name right under a 2x World Champ. Pretty damn cool.

Event comments:

This was a fantastic first race in Seal Beach. Very well run with great support and a small town feel. I'll be doing this race every year I can.

Last updated: 2012-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:11 | 880 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/317
Performance:
Suit: Vortex 3
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:18:35 | 07 miles | 22.60 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back on narrow bikepath.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:50 | 02.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back in deep sand.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-10-22 2:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Subject: Seal Beach Triathlon

Macca!

Edited by jackson61802 2012-10-22 2:52 AM

2012-10-23 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4462938

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Seal Beach Triathlon
Very Cool - Congrats on your win.  Really to come in 2nd to Chris - amazing.   He was at our race too on Sunday at Newport Beach.  To think he just finished Kona and then did Seal Beach and Newport Beach back to back - course they were little recovery tris for him.  (He came in first overall on the Newport Beach one too).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seal Beach Triathlon Rss Feed