General Discussion Triathlon Talk » UCI confirms Armstrong ban, strips him of seven Tour titles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-10-22 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4463008

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: UCI confirms Armstrong ban, strips him of seven Tour titles
I cant believe SI would make such a bold statement. These medicines are being painted in the same line as cocaine. These "drugs" dont cause cancer (especially in the short period of time he would have been taking them at the time his cancer occurred compared to his cycling career) otherwise we wouldnt give them to cancer patients. We also use many of them for hormone therapy for men with low testosterone or recovering from a major injury. The real losers might be cancer patients if misinformation like this is spread.

2012-10-22 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4463936

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

mkarr0110 - 2012-10-22 3:44 PM I cant believe SI would make such a bold statement. These medicines are being painted in the same line as cocaine. These "drugs" dont cause cancer (especially in the short period of time he would have been taking them at the time his cancer occurred compared to his cycling career) otherwise we wouldnt give them to cancer patients. We also use many of them for hormone therapy for men with low testosterone or recovering from a major injury. The real losers might be cancer patients if misinformation like this is spread.

Well we do live in a world where some believe talking on the phone will cause cancer. Or even sitting at a computer like we are. It would be awful to live in a bubble.

Note: not condoning doping, just find the SI article laughable.

2012-10-22 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4463934

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
rjrankin83 - 2012-10-22 2:43 PM

taylorz13 - 2012-10-22 3:01 PM All the "I hope Livestrong keeps on going" crowd think about this: When these corporations donate millions based on LA and his representations etc, they can allege fraud, which some are doing and SUE Livestrong to get their money back. It's almost like a contract- it's NOT the same as you or I donating 10 bucks. If GE for examply wants to sue based on fraud, they could. This is the reason why Livestrong's days are numbered. "Non-profits" fizzle out all the time.

WHAT? Nobody is donating millions to Armstrong. They're donating to Livestrong. GE would be giving money to cancer research/patients (which is where Livestrong money goes) not to Lance. Which is why it's horribly disgusting that people would have the nerve to ask for there money back. Lance isn't putting the money in his pocket.

I'm just saying some businesses/corps want their money back- LA was the face/heart and soul of all this.  Remember, Nike is "still supporting Livestrong"- I bet you anything Nike will dial that back and end all affiliation in a short time.

2012-10-22 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4463902

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Swimbikeron - 2012-10-22 2:32 PM
Tom Demerly. - 2012-10-22 11:55 AM

"Prediction: In a year or so, the Livestrong organization as it currently exists will be no more.  Too many other "non-controversial" organizations to donate to." 

Maybe.

The Susan B Komen breast cancer charity underwent a similar controversy regarding reproductive rights. The United Way charity underwent a controversy regarding executive salaries within their organization. Those are just two charities off the top of my head that took some serious heat in the public eye and continue. There are many, many others.

I hope, for the sake of everyone involved, especially cancer patients and even for Lance Armstrong himself, that Livestrong does not go away.

Ultimately, that may be the reason Lance goes public with an ownership of what happened- to save the charity. If he did that, I'd respect it.

I'd like to think so, but neither UW or Komen are tied so closely to one person and the "controversies" you mention are pretty garden-variety and fixable for the most part.  There is no real abuse of trust, or fraud, or illegalities.

The better analogy might be a fallen televangelist.

LiveStrongs continued survival really comes down to the % of people who can separate Lance from the organization he has been the face of for many years.  I just don't think that number is going to be high enough.

Apparently, at the big corporate donation level, they (many at least) can't/won't  make that distinction.

2012-10-22 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

taylorz13 - 2012-10-22 3:01 PM All the "I hope Livestrong keeps on going" crowd think about this: When these corporations donate millions based on LA and his representations etc, they can allege fraud, which some are doing and SUE Livestrong to get their money back. It's almost like a contract- it's NOT the same as you or I donating 10 bucks. If GE for examply wants to sue based on fraud, they could. This is the reason why Livestrong's days are numbered. "Non-profits" fizzle out all the time.

WHAT? Nobody is donating millions to Armstrong. They're donating to Livestrong. GE would be giving money to cancer research/patients (which is where Livestrong money goes) not to Lance. Which is why it's horribly disgusting that people would have the nerve to ask for there money back. Lance isn't putting the money in his pocket.

True, but if they want their $ back, they are alleging fraud on LA as the rep/agent for Livestrong. He's going to go down as the Bernie Madoff of charities- that's the analogy that history will show is accurate.

2012-10-22 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4463764

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
SRAM and Oakley drop LA today and that's it- ALL sponsors gone. Nike says it will continue to support Livestrong charity, but these others (many of them at least) have made no such promises. So, there's a few corps right there dropping funding.

2012-10-22 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4463983

User image

Master
taylorz13 - 2012-10-22 3:03 PM

True, but if they want their $ back, they are alleging fraud on LA as the rep/agent for Livestrong. He's going to go down as the Bernie Madoff of charities- that's the analogy that history will show is accurate.

Bernie Madoff stole million upon millions of dollars from his "investors" in a ponzi scheme. There is not one iota of evidence that Lance improperly took a penny of Livestrong money. Moreover, there's no evidence that money donated to Livestrong wasn't used for cancer research etc... There is no analogy to be drawn here.

Feel free to call Lance a doper - he is - but comparing his charity to Madoff's pyramid scheme is ridiculous
2012-10-22 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
I wonder if Trek is going to refund all of its customers that bought Madone's because it was Lance's bike? Lance is now a fraud, so they were lured into purchasing those bikes under false pretenses.

The whole thing is just ridiculous ... let's just move on people.

Let's put the focus on the present and the future ...

Like it or not, Armstrong won seven tours, was the face of cycling for many years in the this country, and probably inspired 10s of thousands or more to go out and buy bikes and take up riding.

Everybody made money off of Armstrong's success, including the bike companies, accessory makers, charities, the Versus TV network, you name it .. and they ain't giving that money back I don't believe.

You can't unravel history ...

Edited by rventuri 2012-10-22 3:32 PM
2012-10-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4464035

User image

Expert

rventuri - 2012-10-22 3:27 PM I wonder if Trek is going to refund all of its customers that bought Madone's because it was Lance's bike? Lance is now a fraud, so they were lured into purchasing those bikes under false pretenses. The whole thing is just ridiculous ... let's just move on people. Let's put the focus on the present and the future ... Like it or not, Armstrong won seven tours, was the face of cycling for many years in the this country, and probably inspired 10s of thousands or more to go out and buy bikes and take up riding. Everybody made money off of Armstrong's success, including the bike companies, accessory makers, charities, the Versus TV network, you name it. You can't unravel history ...

Very well said.

2012-10-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4464005

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

MUL98 - 2012-10-22 10:15 AM Moreover, there's no evidence that money donated to Livestrong wasn't used for cancer research etc...

just a point, Livestrong doesn't fund cancer research

2012-10-22 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4464049

User image

Master
metafizx - 2012-10-22 3:32 PM

MUL98 - 2012-10-22 10:15 AM Moreover, there's no evidence that money donated to Livestrong wasn't used for cancer research etc...

just a point, Livestrong doesn't fund cancer research

It used to. As recently as 2010.

http://www.kintera.org/site/c.khLXK1PxHmF/b.2661097/k.D25F/Research...

2012-10-22 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
MUL98 - 2012-10-22 3:15 PM

Bernie Madoff stole million upon millions of dollars from his "investors" in a ponzi scheme. There is not one iota of evidence that Lance improperly took a penny of Livestrong money. Moreover, there's no evidence that money donated to Livestrong wasn't used for cancer research etc... There is no analogy to be drawn here. Feel free to call Lance a doper - he is - but comparing his charity to Madoff's pyramid scheme is ridiculous

Actually Bernie Madoff was very successfull for many years and made money for tons of his clients in legit/legal fashion. Somewhere along the way, he started cheating/Ponzi scheme. House of cards all fell down and it did affect many people/hurt many people.  He was a golden boy and toast of the town in his "sport".  Some thought he couldn't be for real, and must be cheating, but there was never any evidence - no proof. Then one day, it all came unravelled. I'd say it's about the same. Both enterprises built on lies and false pretenses.

2012-10-22 4:39 PM

User image

Elite
rjrankin83 - 2012-10-22 1:43 PM

Livestrong does not donate money to research... they stop doing that very early on. their money goes to "awareness" and aiding patients to navigate through the sea of information.

The LS organization is fine, and the people doing the work are doing good work... All I want to know is that if we went back and knew the truth from the beginning... would anyone find 7 titles incredible knowing he doped the best. Would LS be where it is today if LA told the truth that he doped dangerous substances to get where he got? Would people donate hundreds of millions of dollars knowing LA lied and cheated to win 7 titles using PEDS better than everyone else.... I think not. Susan G Komen didn't.

2012-10-22 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4464161

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
powerman - 2012-10-22 4:39 PM
rjrankin83 - 2012-10-22 1:43 PM

Livestrong does not donate money to research... they stop doing that very early on. their money goes to "awareness" and aiding patients to navigate through the sea of information.

The LS organization is fine, and the people doing the work are doing good work... All I want to know is that if we went back and knew the truth from the beginning... would anyone find 7 titles incredible knowing he doped the best. Would LS be where it is today if LA told the truth that he doped dangerous substances to get where he got? Would people donate hundreds of millions of dollars knowing LA lied and cheated to win 7 titles using PEDS better than everyone else.... I think not. Susan G Komen didn't.

Well, Americans do forgive, but look at how Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, Sammy Socia (sp), are viewed, to this day, still as cheats. Bonds is baseball's homerun "king"- nobody treats him as such.  Nobody can say he didn't hit X number of HRs, we saw him do it, but HOW he did it matters. HOW LA won 7 TDFs matter to many.

2012-10-22 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4464137

User image

Expert

The worst part of this whole ordeal is that Livestrong will most likely not make it through this.

2012-10-22 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
MUL98 - 2012-10-22 4:15 PM

Bernie Madoff stole million upon millions of dollars from his "investors" in a ponzi scheme. There is not one iota of evidence that Lance improperly took a penny of Livestrong money. Moreover, there's no evidence that money donated to Livestrong wasn't used for cancer research etc... There is no analogy to be drawn here. Feel free to call Lance a doper - he is - but comparing his charity to Madoff's pyramid scheme is ridiculous

x2. Your analogies aren't working for me at all. It's not a contract it's a donation. In what world can you sue for a donation that's being used for the reason it was given?:

"Sorry (cancer patient) you can't afford your treatment because we want our money back. We only donated because we thought Lance was honest." What company would want that PR?

It's apparent you want the Livestrong Foundation to fail, but to compare it to a ponzi scheme (let alone the largest in history) is crazy. All the money was going to the cause not to someone's pocket.

Lance is a cheat and deserves what he has coming. However there's a lot of people who knew everything and did nothing (governing bodies included). This LA stuff is far from over.

Also to someone's point. I don't think the Livestrong foundation would be anywhere near what it is without Lance's success. However we shouldn't be so quick to down something so good just because it was started by someone tarnished. Nike will keep Livestrong going as long as they're making a profit. Weather it can withstand or fall is really up to Nike now

Edited by rjrankin83 2012-10-22 5:47 PM

2012-10-22 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4464148

User image

Master
taylorz13 - 2012-10-22 4:29 PM

Actually Bernie Madoff was very successfull for many years and made money for tons of his clients in legit/legal fashion. Somewhere along the way, he started cheating/Ponzi scheme. House of cards all fell down and it did affect many people/hurt many people.  He was a golden boy and toast of the town in his "sport".  Some thought he couldn't be for real, and must be cheating, but there was never any evidence - no proof. Then one day, it all came unravelled. I'd say it's about the same. Both enterprises built on lies and false pretenses.

Please explain the "false pretense" under which any Livestrong donor gave money.
2012-10-22 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4464255

User image

Elite
rjrankin83 - 2012-10-22 4:43 PM
MUL98 - 2012-10-22 4:15 PM

x2. Your analogies aren't working for me at all. It's not a contract it's a donation. In what world can you sue for a donation that's being used for the reason it was given?:

"Sorry (cancer patient) you can't afford your treatment because we want our money back. We only donated because we thought Lance was honest." What company would want that PR?

It's apparent you want the Livestrong Foundation to fail, but to compare it to a ponzi scheme (let alone the largest in history) is crazy. All the money was going to the cause not to someone's pocket.

Lance is a cheat and deserves what he has coming. However there's a lot of people who knew everything and did nothing (governing bodies included). This LA stuff is far from over.

Also to someone's point. I don't think the Livestrong foundation would be anywhere near what it is without Lance's success. However we shouldn't be so quick to down something so good just because it was started by someone tarnished. Nike will keep Livestrong going as long as they're making a profit. Weather it can withstand or fall is really up to Nike now

Livestrong does not donate money to research or treatment. There has been some speculation as to what LS funds were used for... besides what is known, but so far, that is only speculation. LA and LS are inseparable... LS did just as much to build the image of LA as LA did to build the image of LS. Neither are anywhere close to the inspiration they are thought of knowing he doped better than anyone else and not only doped, but ran a sophisticated scheme to avoid detection and destroy anyone that spoke a word.

There is speculation the PEDS could have caused the cancer, and I do not give that much weight... but what is not speculation is that after cancer he had zero qualms of heavily using PEDs knowing that they are dangerous and he was "at risk". I'm sure if that was know at the time, not many people going through kemo would have found LA using his "second chance" as a PED experiment to be very "inspirational".

If you want to know what Livestrong does, here is a good article.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/lance-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html

2012-10-22 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4464270

User image

Champion
the colony texas
MUL98 - 2012-10-22 5:53 PM

Please explain the "false pretense" under which any Livestrong donor gave money.

That Lance raced clean and beat the odds for starters.  People bought into his story to donate.  Would Livestrong be around if LA never cheated I'm sure.  Would it have grown to the incredible cash making machine it is today.  I'd say that's doubtful

why people keep falsely  thinking Livestrong does research is beyond me. Most likely it's the same people that think he is innocent.

How/Why does Livestrong's legal expense keep going up when LA is in trouble?   How does sponsoring a cycling team help cancer patients.  There have been quite a few stories of big donors (money wise) being told that they were getting receipts for less than the amount donated. exp. A 35k donation gets you a 25k receipt with the explanation that the other money is going to LA for his appearance fee.   When Livestrong reaches out to members of the government in a failed attempt to get the USADA case thrown out, that doesn't help cancer patients. Or when it's used to further the LA PR machine.

2012-10-22 6:18 PM
in reply to: #4464279

User image

Expert

Those who are badmouthing Livestong, have you actually DEALT with cancer and Livestrong? Or is just some organization with the yellow bracelettes and merchandise to you?

When I was diagnosed with cancer last year I was lost. My family doctor didn't know the answers to my questions and passed me along. Do you talk to an oncologist? Surgeon? Endocronolgist? WHO? They all passed the buck just to focus on their little part of the process. Do you talk to all of them? Who do you see first? What about insurance? Available options? I can't tell you how many quesitons there are on top of the stress of just having cancer.

I searched the internet and all you get is crap and horror stories about people who died or all the worst case scenarios. Nothing about the process or even the first step to getting cured.

I called all the "help lines" from cancer institues and even the ACS. They were WORTHLESS and NO help...

But I called/signed up with Livestrong. Withing a WEEK, they sent me a giant package of materials to help track my treatment and recovery. Provided tons of resources and people to contact. A journal to help with my journey to recovery and yes, the yellow bracelette. A couple days later, I was assigned a personal "assistant" to assist in my case via email and they contacted me to check on me and see if they could provide additional help or answer any more questions.

I got NOTHING like that from any other resource. The reason Livestrong does that, is because Lance went through the same questions and found zero answers without a lot of work on his own and didn't want other cancer patients to go through that same thing - a void of information.

I will tell ANYONE to go to Livestrong if they are looking for support and help - not to mention the research they fund.

If anyone wants to try and tear down a wonderful organization just because it's founder used PHD's in the PHD era? I'm not listening.

That is from our very own Kido on here...really good explanation on what Livestrong is about..

2012-10-22 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Regardless no company is going to want the PR sh!tstorm that would come from asking for money back from a charity.

Basically what it all boils down to in my eyes: If you want to give to LS then give. The charity hasn't changed. If you don't want to give because of LA then fine, but if you gave please find somewhere else to give.

2012-10-22 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4464316

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
RushTogether - 2012-10-22 7:18 PM

Those who are badmouthing Livestong, have you actually DEALT with cancer and Livestrong? Or is just some organization with the yellow bracelettes and merchandise to you?

When I was diagnosed with cancer last year I was lost. My family doctor didn't know the answers to my questions and passed me along. Do you talk to an oncologist? Surgeon? Endocronolgist? WHO? They all passed the buck just to focus on their little part of the process. Do you talk to all of them? Who do you see first? What about insurance? Available options? I can't tell you how many quesitons there are on top of the stress of just having cancer.

I searched the internet and all you get is crap and horror stories about people who died or all the worst case scenarios. Nothing about the process or even the first step to getting cured.

I called all the "help lines" from cancer institues and even the ACS. They were WORTHLESS and NO help...

But I called/signed up with Livestrong. Withing a WEEK, they sent me a giant package of materials to help track my treatment and recovery. Provided tons of resources and people to contact. A journal to help with my journey to recovery and yes, the yellow bracelette. A couple days later, I was assigned a personal "assistant" to assist in my case via email and they contacted me to check on me and see if they could provide additional help or answer any more questions.

I got NOTHING like that from any other resource. The reason Livestrong does that, is because Lance went through the same questions and found zero answers without a lot of work on his own and didn't want other cancer patients to go through that same thing - a void of information.

I will tell ANYONE to go to Livestrong if they are looking for support and help - not to mention the research they fund.

If anyone wants to try and tear down a wonderful organization just because it's founder used PHD's in the PHD era? I'm not listening.

That is from our very own Kido on here...really good explanation on what Livestrong is about..

Argument settled for me.

2012-10-22 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4464321

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Have you ever heard of the "Pooh and Ice Cream" theory?

Here's how it works:

If you have a bowl of pooh, and a seperate bowl of ice cream, that's OK. The pooh is gross and smells, the ice cream is good to eat.

Mix the bowls together: The ice cream does not change the pooh, but the pooh changes the ice cream.

For many people the Armstrong Affair is "Pooh and Ice Cream Theory" personified: His drug bust ruins his cancer philanthropy.

For some people, they'll still eat the ice cream. Eww.

But for me the bowl with the pooh and the bowl with the ice creeam remain seperate. The drug use is the pooh bowl, the ice cream is cancer philanthropy bowl. They are not mixed.

I would throw the pooh bowl in a hole and keep the ice cream.

Problem solved.

2012-10-22 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4464270

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
MUL98 - 2012-10-22 5:53 PM

Have you read he LA TIMES article today on this issue I posted? just like with Nike, LA was the chief fundraiser. When asked for assurances on his history etc, he assured those asking it was all good and he was clean. He lied. They donated under false pretenses. Some are not happy. Do you think the Tiger Woods foundation is doing better or worse these days than before his scandal?
2012-10-22 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4464321

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
rjrankin83 - 2012-10-22 6:23 PM
RushTogether - 2012-10-22 7:18 PM

Argument settled for me.

And LA's selfish acts have jeopardized all this good work for future patients.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » UCI confirms Armstrong ban, strips him of seven Tour titles Rss Feed  

of 4