General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to ITB issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-10-22 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: New to ITB issues

I was in the middle of my long run yesterday when my knee began to "cramp" on me. I have never previously had any issue related to this pain, as I was not sure what it was at first. I began to mix in a few walks to try and stretch out whatever was going on but to no avail. I ended up having to phone the wife to come get me as I was still ~5 miles from home.

I've researched different remedies for such issues but would be curious to hear from the BT crowd from those who have had previous ITB issues what was successful for recovery. I've never had these issues before so I am completely open-minded.

Background: I generally complete my long runs on Sunday mornings. Last week, during a 15 mile run I began to feel minimal tightness in the same spot around mile 12. I stretched after that run and did not experience any pain or soreness all week. I also logged about 25 miles between long runs with no issues. I had completely forgot about the soreness until it came roaring back about 7 miles into my run yesterday.

Now it's painful to go down stairs. Help Embarassed

2012-10-22 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4463268

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: New to ITB issues

I couple of months ago I experienced my first ITB issue.  I used a foam roller for a few weeks and that seemd to help a little bit.

Then I bought an ITB strap (Protec) and the pain completely went away.  I was able to run totally pain free.  It is a strap that goes around your leg about three inches above the knee.  I was amazed.

You still want to figure out why it happened and resolve it.  In my case I believe it was weakness in my core/hip area.  Hope you get it figured out and can get back to running soon.

Edited by popsracer 2012-10-22 11:32 AM
2012-10-22 11:37 AM

New user

First, I have no medical training at all and I am only relaying my own experiences.

I have not had issues with the ITB but, being over 40 and having been involved with various sports since my 30s has led me to have various/several tendonitis issues.  What I had to do to heal them and help prevent them from coming back is to do a good stretch routine pretty much after every workout.

I would recommend a book by Brad Walker titled The Anatomy of Stretching.  It's under $20, has a few short chapters in the beginning about stretching and how to stretch which is then followed with many pages full of detailed stretches with diagrams with tips and injuries they might heal.  I have used stretching to heal many tendon issues and sometimes the healing process can be weeks or even months long.

Good luck,

-Mark

Edited by 1Dude 2012-10-22 11:38 AM
2012-10-22 11:46 AM

I dealt with ITB issues when training for my first half marathon in early 2011.  My knee pain was lower outside of my left knee.  I went to a chiropractor for it.  He adjusted my hips and introduced me to foam rolling (also had a few ultrasound treatments).  Mine hit about 4-5 weeks before my race.  I pulled way back on my mileage prior to race day and used a cho-pat strap (goes just below kneecap).  I made it through the race but the next 2-3 days were hell (especially navigating stairs). Rest certainly helped.  I've managed to keep ITB pain in check since then for the most part.  It did start to creep up again later that year.  Out of convenience, I was doing lots of my running from my house and the road had pretty noticeable camber.  Since there is also traffic, I was always running on the left facing traffic.  Therefore my left leg seemed to absorb heavier weight/pressure on it.  Once I stopped running on this route and found roads/paths that were flat surface (running angle, not elevation changes as that is a good thing), I've managed to keep ITB pain in check.  Good luck!
2012-10-22 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
There's been a recent thread with similar title in the past 2 weeks. Might read some of it. Weak hips, glutes all usual causes. Foam rolling, "the stick", and strengthening exercises over time helped me a bunch.  The pro-teck strap is a bandaid fix, and will let you run, but get at the symptoms and fix yourself. Good luck.
2012-10-22 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

I recently got back into a weights program in addition to an increase in millage training for a marathon upcoming. I believe the added weight, shorting of the muscle fibers, and increase in distance is the main culprit here. I;ve never had any issues with my IT band before so I hopeful it was just a result over over-training and shortening of the major legs muscles in general. I just came off a heavy TRI season and never experienced any IT issues.

Thank you all for the information. I am going to get that stretching book as I am aware of the long-term benefits to flexibility.

2012-10-22 2:39 PM

Expert
I second stretching and strengthening. There are tons of great YouTube videos. You have to be relentless with this, because ITBS is relentless.
2012-10-22 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Painful blooming thing isn't it!!!!!  I can completely sympathize, especially the navigating stairs bit Yell

I experienced it in both hips and one knee last December, and I had to completely stop running for 2 months, used my foam roller at LOT (it really does help, but hurts like *>&#ing hell), and stick to cycling and swimming only.  I tried a ITB strap (above the knee) but it did absolutely nothing for me (you're welcome to have mine if you want to pay for shipping? P.S. it has been washed a few times but looks as good as new). 

Have you changed your shoes recently, or do you perhaps need new ones?  Some ITB issues can be caused by shoes and this was the case for me.  I got checked out by a highly recommended sports medicine guy and I discovered that I have very high arches and I badly underpronate.  The only thing that helped me was moving over to more flexible sole minimalist shoes and getting custom orthotics.  Took me months to get used to (1) the minimalist shoes and strenghen my calf and foot muscles up, and (2) the orthotics, but I'm now running pain free. Laughing

2012-10-22 4:08 PM

User image

Pro

My advice (posted on the thread 2 weeks ago, too)

1. See a PT or someone to help find out WHY your IT band flared up.

2. Treat the root cause (biomechanics, muscle weakness, form, shoes, running frequency, muscle tightness, imbalances)

3. Treat the symptoms

2012-10-22 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
In my experience, the reply by Ratherbeswimming is spot on. I had an ITB flare up at the end of a training plan for my first half mary in Oct of last year. I found a great PT who addressed the root cause of the pain and didn't just try to treat the symptoms. I did in-office PT 2x/week for 2 months plus "homework" every day in between. We worked on muscle imbalance, strengthening my glutes, balancing exercises, foam roller, proper stretching, trigger point etc. The pain went away and has not come back. 
2012-10-22 8:39 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado

I was walking through the bib pick up for the Detroit marathon on Saturday night.  My IT Band was killing me as it had for a couple weeks.  I was figuring for a bad race the next day.  I had logged 106 miles in the last three months.

I had received a ProTec strap a couple days ago.  No good for me. I also have a foam roller and a Trigger Point roller. No good for me.

I saw a booth for "The Stick" and bought the most aggressive one they had. I rolled my leg a couple times that night and again before the race.  Absolutely no IT Band issues in the race.  I did a 1:52 on negative splits (I was stuck in a 9 min/ mile corral as I had originally signed up for the full marathon and changed down to the half due ot IT issues and lack of training)  So I was at 9+ min/mile for the first three miles as I tried to get clear of traffic.  Low 8 min/mile for the last 5 or 6.

My patellas were sore afterwards and again a little bit this morning walking down stairs.  Just tonight I feel my IT issues coming back.  So for what its worth it worked great for me in this one instant.  I'll keep using it and see how it goes.

2012-10-22 10:14 PM

User image

I had ITBS and all i would do was stretch and roll it out, but really taking it easy and time healed me up the best
2012-10-22 10:20 PM

User image

Pro
Find a Chiropractor who is knowledgeable and capable with ART (active release therapy)....it will hurt, but a good one will fix you....at least that's been my experience.
2012-10-23 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4464614

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

A Chiropractor? For an ITB issue?

Now I must admit this would not have been my first thought, but I wonder for someone who doesn't have "chronic" ITB issues if this is necessary.

I did take the recommendation of one of the previous posts and purchase "The Anatomy of Stretching" by Brad Walker. An increase in my stretching was also pointed out not even two weeks ago during a RETUL fit. I spend an hour on the floor during the MNF last night and my legs feel like brand new today. I am not going to push the issue and start running immediately, but all the stretching did wonders. I also slept like a million bucks.

Thanks all!

Edited by Fmode11 2012-10-23 2:54 PM
2012-10-23 3:32 PM

New user

I have IT issues in my right leg. It only hurts at the knee and not at the hip. About 3 weeks ago I started looking in to options and found this video which has really helped http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demo... along with icing every night with a Walgreens frozen gel pack and this wrap that goes around and keep it tight.

I also got a foam roller which helps and started going to a sports doc who performs http://www.grastontechnique.com/on me.

He also says to continue to remain active. When I run now it is tight and slightly hurts for a few minutes then goes away. I feel much better doing all the above. I was heading down the road to complete rest but now realize that remaining active is crucial to my recovery.

Let me know if I can assist further.
2012-10-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4465844

User image

Pro
Fmode11 - 2012-10-23 2:53 PM

Now I must admit this would not have been my first thought, but I wonder for someone who doesn't have "chronic" ITB issues if this is necessary.

I did take the recommendation of one of the previous posts and purchase "The Anatomy of Stretching" by Brad Walker. An increase in my stretching was also pointed out not even two weeks ago during a RETUL fit. I spend an hour on the floor during the MNF last night and my legs feel like brand new today. I am not going to push the issue and start running immediately, but all the stretching did wonders. I also slept like a million bucks.

Thanks all!

Google ART

2012-10-23 3:57 PM

User image

Pro
If you continue to simply treat the symptoms and not determine the cause, you'll be stuck treating those symptoms for a long, long time.
2012-10-23 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4465999

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

ratherbeswimming - 2012-10-23 3:57 PM If you continue to simply treat the symptoms and not determine the cause, you'll be stuck treating those symptoms for a long, long time.

Thanks I have an appt tomorrow with an Ironman network DC.

2012-10-23 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4466014

User image

Pro
Fmode11 - 2012-10-23 5:04 PM

ratherbeswimming - 2012-10-23 3:57 PM If you continue to simply treat the symptoms and not determine the cause, you'll be stuck treating those symptoms for a long, long time.

Glad to hear it! Don't forget to mention this to him: "two weeks ago during a RETUL fit" - it could be a contributing factor!

2012-10-23 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4465943

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Left Brain - 2012-10-23 3:35 PM
Fmode11 - 2012-10-23 2:53 PM

Thanks all!

Google ART

A skilled chiro will/can do a very similar if not the exact same ART procedure as any PT would do. They absolutely can and I went to one myself for my ITBS and he hit the nail on the head right away. I finished up doing the actual ART with the GRaston type tool with an actual PT, but that was a convenience/appointment time issue- the chiro was doing everything "right" to me.

2012-10-23 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4464614

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

Left Brain - 2012-10-22 10:20 PM Find a Chiropractor who is knowledgeable and capable with ART (active release therapy)....it will hurt, but a good one will fix you....at least that's been my experience.

X2 He's right.

2012-10-23 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4466031

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
ratherbeswimming - 2012-10-23 4:12 PM

Glad to hear it! Don't forget to mention this to him: "two weeks ago during a RETUL fit" - it could be a contributing factor!

Might be a slight confusion - what I meant to say was that during my retul fit it was pointed out that I lacked flexibility. If you have never had a a retul fit, or seen the results - it managed to identify my right knee that could not stay in a linear path while pedaling while my left leg could. We discovered that my left is 7 mm longer, while my right foot is 1/2 size larger.Which let to a slight "rocking" in the saddle. Although, this is actually common he pointed out. I learned a lot about myself during that fit. Got more than just a good fit on my new bike.

I thought humans were symmetrical?

2012-10-23 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4466061

User image

Pro
Fmode11 - 2012-10-23 5:25 PM
ratherbeswimming - 2012-10-23 4:12 PM

Might be a slight confusion - what I meant to say was that during my retul fit it was pointed out that I lacked flexibility. If you have never had a a retul fit, or seen the results - it managed to identify my right knee that could not stay in a linear path while pedaling while my left leg could. We discovered that my left is 7 mm longer, while my right foot is 1/2 size larger.Which let to a slight "rocking" in the saddle. Although, this is actually common he pointed out. I learned a lot about myself during that fit. Got more than just a good fit on my new bike.

I thought humans were symmetrical?

We are very much not symmetrical!

Did you get the fit 2 weeks ago? Any slight change in bike fit can affect your IT Band.

Did they shim your cleat to help even out the leg length discrepency? Do you think that maybe a small insole in your right running shoe might help?

Leg length discrepency can certainly cause IT band issues while cycling and running!

2012-10-23 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4466076

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

Did they shim your cleat to help even out the leg length discrepency? Do you think that maybe a small insole in your right running shoe might help?

Leg length discrepency can certainly cause IT band issues while cycling and running!

Ah hell...... Yeah, in an attempt to get a linear vertical pedal motion. Suppose I should move it back.

2012-10-23 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4466085

User image

Pro
Fmode11 - 2012-10-23 5:36 PM

Ah hell...... Yeah, in an attempt to get a linear vertical pedal motion. Suppose I should move it back.

It's worth a shot. Your cycling form likely has adjusted to the discrepency, and now that you're even, you're uneven!

I'd get in touch with the fitter and explain the problem. I'm not really sure if you can tough it out for a bit and regain a more balanced position, or if you're better off sticking with what doesn't irritate the IT band.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to ITB issues Rss Feed  

of 2