General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-20 1:26 PM

Santa Fe NM
Subject: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman
I'm thinking of doing this race, but would like to ask a favor of all you out there. Please email the race director and ask him to give medals to Clydesdales and Athenas. Big triathletes need love too.
Also anyone know what the temps for that time of year in Ok city? Is it Hilly, Flat or flat? Any info would be good. Thanks all.

Edited by codytriguy 2006-06-20 1:26 PM

2006-06-20 2:13 PM
in reply to: #460554

User image

Veteran
Edmond, OK
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman
The bike course goes out north from Lake Hefner then west and back which is primarily flat. There are a few rolling hills but none should be of great concern. The run is around the same lake which is ffllaattt. I run it often and it's a good run. The lake is located in a very populated area so, as a citizen, I'm hopeful the crowd turnout will be strong and there should be people all along the run route.

The primary concern should be the wind which can get you on both the run and the bike. The lake is elevated slightly with no wind breaks [e.g. buildings, trees, et cetera]. So, depending on the direction and speed, it can be brutal. Meanwhile, the bike takes you out of the city into farmland which again, is flat with little wind breaks. I've ridden a portion of the course and have seen some of my best mph averages going out north only to realize the wind was at my back and heading back south was a nightmare.

The average tempatures range from highs in the mid-80s to lows in the low-60s while winds average 10 mph.

I assume of course that you'll be at least driving the course if not biking portions of it prior to the race.

Good luck. I'm hoping to be anchored outside the swim course on my 22' Catalina [that's a sailboat for you groundpounders] watching and cheering.

Do well!
Chap
2006-08-12 5:38 PM

New user

Did you sign up for the Redman.. Three folks from my Triclub in LA are coming over. We wave been using the beginner Ironman plan from the web sight. I have heard the bike is similar to the 1/2 IM in Conroe, TX.

i think the wind is the big wild card.
2006-08-22 11:27 AM

User image

Elite

Hello my fellow Redman competitors.

I'm registered for the full Redman.  I'm more nervous about the swim and water temp than the wind. 

Any locals here who have any comments regarding the lake water temps?  I've heard that its been hot as hell the past several weeks and I'm worried the water temps will be above 78 degrees, which will make wetsuits illegal.  I'm a poor swimmer who relies on the security of my wetsuit.

Someone tell me some good news to relax my nerves.

2006-08-22 9:12 PM

User image

Regular
Edmond, Oklahoma
Well, you are right it has been hot as hell here in OK this summer. We have had over 30 days of 100 or higher degree temps this summer. The water levels have been extremely low also. which is adding to the hot water. It is hard to tell what the water temp will be like in one month, due to the crazy weather we have. But it is pretty warm now. You may want to do some practicing without a wetsuit. Sorry. Lake Hefner is known for being a great spot for sailing. That is of course because of all the wind...Get ready!

IT WILL BE AWESOME!!
2006-08-23 3:03 PM
in reply to: #519162

User image

Elite

Steph W. - 2006-08-22 9:12 PM Well, you are right it has been hot as hell here in OK this summer. We have had over 30 days of 100 or higher degree temps this summer. The water levels have been extremely low also. which is adding to the hot water. It is hard to tell what the water temp will be like in one month, due to the crazy weather we have. But it is pretty warm now. You may want to do some practicing without a wetsuit. Sorry. Lake Hefner is known for being a great spot for sailing. That is of course because of all the wind...Get ready! IT WILL BE AWESOME!!

I just got an email from the race director.  He said the water is so low in Lake Hefner that they have to "transfer" water from other places to fill it up for the race.  Sounds weird.

Best bet is we won't be swimming in wetsuits.  DAMN!

2006-08-23 8:24 PM
in reply to: #519883

User image

Regular
Edmond, Oklahoma

I just got an email from the race director.  He said the water is so low in Lake Hefner that they have to "transfer" water from other places to fill it up for the race.  Sounds weird.

Best bet is we won't be swimming in wetsuits.  DAMN!

It is weird, but they do it every time the lake gets low...Comes from Canton, Oklahoma (In case you ever are on "Oklahoma Jeapardy)

I think your right about the wetsuit...Start practicing!
2006-08-29 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
So if they have to transfer in water to fill the lake what's stopping them from tossing in a few ice bergs, that would make the water temp about right for suits

Just did my longest training swim on my schedule this morning, 4600 meters. It was actually only supposed to be 4000 but I start to lose track of my laps afterabout the 80th flip turn

I still have one long run and maybe two long bikes. I am looking forward to the taper

Hope everyone's training is going well and we'll see you in a little under 4 weeks!
2006-09-06 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Hi Everyone.  My name's David and I'm doing Redman Full as my first IM. 

Just an FYI: I've bike the course twice this summer, and both times it was HOT (around 100 by 1pm).  It was also pretty windy both times, with a wind coming from the south which means we'll have a headwind the last 12 miles or so!  Ouch!

However, I heard that Sept is supposed to be the least windy month of the year, and the average high on 9/23 is in the low 80s.   I'll be praying for these conditions, but I think I'm ready for just about anything as I've been training all summer in this heat.  

We'll see... 

2006-09-06 1:54 PM
in reply to: #531978

User image

Elite
dgillen - 2006-09-06 9:07 AM

Hi Everyone.  My name's David and I'm doing Redman Full as my first IM. 

Just an FYI: I've bike the course twice this summer, and both times it was HOT (around 100 by 1pm).  It was also pretty windy both times, with a wind coming from the south which means we'll have a headwind the last 12 miles or so!  Ouch!

However, I heard that Sept is supposed to be the least windy month of the year, and the average high on 9/23 is in the low 80s.   I'll be praying for these conditions, but I think I'm ready for just about anything as I've been training all summer in this heat.  

We'll see... 

Thanks for the info David.  I too am doing the full Redman.

Although I've done a lot of training in this summer's heat, the last few weeks have been very cool here in Nebraska.  Best case scenario for me would for the water to be wetsuit legal and temps in the 70's or low 80's.  That's not asking for a lot is it?

Let's all keep praying for mild weather and good health.

See you there!

2006-09-06 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
It has been unseasonably cool here in New Mexico as well, apparently the coolest August on record so let's hope that between cool weather in Nebraska and cool weather in New Mexico we can count of cool weather in Oklahoma.

Honestly, I am less worried about heat, wind and water temps than I am about humidity. Living in New Mexico I don't have a great tolerance for humidity and my sweat rate goes through the roof.

Hey, none of you happen to be Clydesdales, are you? Last year there was only one and when I saw the race director at the Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3 in June he said that only 4 were registered and of course they do not have folks broken down into the Clyde/Athena divisions on the website.

2006-09-20 5:50 PM

User image

Elite

Well everyone.  The car is packed, the bike tuned and YES, I packed my wetsuit.......just in case.  Bright and early tomorrow I'll be heading off to OK City for the Redman.

Good luck to all those who are racing.

Pray for good weather!

2006-09-23 6:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
CONGRATULATIONS to all you finishers. It was my first time to volunteer at an triathlon event and was impressed/motivated by how well yall carried yourselves!!
2006-09-23 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Thank yourichard for all your support, we could not have done it without you!

Conrgadulations IRONMEN!
2006-09-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: #549998

User image

Regular
Edmond, Oklahoma
CONGRATULATIONS FINISHERS!!!!

WAY TO GO IRONMEN!!!!!!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!
2006-09-25 11:39 AM

User image

Elite

Thank you EVERYONE from Oklahoma who volunteered at Redman.  I am now an Ironman thanks to all of the help and support. 

I was truly impressed with Oklahoma City.  Everyone from the hotel staff, restaurant employees, gas station attendants, etc, were very friendly.  What a great city you have.  I'm glad I chose this event as my first Ironman distance race. 

Thanks again Oklahoma City and to all of the volunteers at Redman.  You guys/gals ROCK!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman Rss Feed