General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike selection question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-22 5:13 PM

User image

Roch-cha-cha
Subject: Bike selection question
I tried to pose this question with my local TRI club, and basically all I got was a pi$$ing contest about which brand to select (which is odd, because at the same time, they said "pick the bike that fits, not the brand")

I'm ready to invest in my first tri bike (since the hubster bought a new pickup, I get something, too!). But I honestly have *NO* idea where to start in terms of research. I don't have my heart set on a particular brand (my road bike is a Specialized, and I spend a lot of time in the aero bars when riding). Learning about the different component types, materials, wheels - my head is going to explode. Would love advice from anyone.

Aside from a good solid bike I don't want to ignore investment in the right components, too. Knowing that fit will steer me in a certain direction (brand), how much do I want to consider (for example), a Cannondale Slice Ultegra over the 105?

I want something middle-of-the-road. I'd look stupid on a "Ferrari", and losing 5lbs will do more for my racing than the most expensive bike. But I want something I can grow into a little bit, that will be relevant and useful as I improve as a rider. 

Thanks!

Edited by kristaae 2012-10-22 5:13 PM

2012-10-22 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4464218

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bike selection question
Once you find the bike that fits, anything 105 or better will serve you well for years to come.  For SRAM, they don't have anything lower than Apex, which I would say is about equal to 105 and the same is true--it'll never hold you back and last a long time.
2012-10-23 12:26 AM

User image

I am by no means an expert but I've talked to a lot of people and have done a fair bit of research.  I agree that fit is THE most important factor and I would say that you could get a completely different fit not only between bike manufacturers but also by bike model (take for instance the felt Z85 that I own compared to the Felt F85, very similar bikes but the F85 was very uncomfortable for me).  Next if you are looking for middle of the road, I'm assuming you would be talking $1500-$2000, if so from everything I've heard, get a carbon framed bike.  I've ridden bikes with Sora, 105, and Ultegra and believe it or not I liked the way the Sora gears shifted better than the 105 or Ultegra, that said I would buy at least 105 gears, they are very durable and very sure shifting.  Lastly if the Cannondale Slice fits, buy it, it looks fast even when it's sitting on the display rack.
2012-10-23 5:46 AM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia

this might be on your high end but there is a lot of bike for the money here:

http://www.trisports.com/qr-womens-ultegra-tri-bike.html

2012-10-23 6:43 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Start off with finding a good fitter... talk to fellow triathletes in your area and ask them whom they used. After you have all your fit data done, you can use that to start narrow down the different brands that fits you. The fitter may very well be able to help you with this as well. A well fitting bike makes MUCH more of a difference than any specific brand, model etc etc etc.; the bike only accounts for a small fraction of the drag, but the rider accounts for the vast majority, so that's always where you should start.

After that, Shimano 105, SRAM Rival, Campagnolo Centaur are all race worthy, the only thing you gain after that is a more polished look, a little lighter weight, but the function is about the same. The only difference maker on a tri bike would be if you can get electronic shifting (Shimano Di2/Ui2 or Campagnolo Super Record EPS, Record EPS or Athena EPS), allowing you to shift from both the aero extensions and front the bullhorns (extremely useful if you live in an area where you have some climbs in each tri, or race lots of technical courses).
2012-10-23 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4464777

User image

Elite
N Carolina
navybeaver - 2012-10-23 6:46 AM

this might be on your high end but there is a lot of bike for the money here:

http://www.trisports.com/qr-womens-ultegra-tri-bike.html

nothing wrong with this one either

http://www.trisports.com/qr-dulce-womens-tri-bike.html

2012-10-23 12:32 PM

User image

Roch-cha-cha

Thank you very much for those who have responded so far.  You definitely gave me good info to think about.

We are lucky to have a place about an hour from where I live that is the A-Standard for fitting - so that box is checked.  And most all bike brands are available within a 90-minute easy drive.  I'm looking to spend up to about $3,500 (understanding that I may not need to), depending on what add-ons (boxes, wheel upgrades, etc.) I may need/want.  I made the mistake of letting price point be my guide on my road bike (Spec Dolce Elite).  I mean, I love it and still put a lot of miles on it, but I outgrew it rather quickly and it's quite cumbersome in my duathlons even with aero bars. 

audiojan - Good info about the shifters...Western NY does have it's share of good rollers and climbs, and as I consider the Half IM in Syracuse next summer, I am told the bike route does have some good hills, too. 

Keep the input coming!

Edited by kristaae 2012-10-23 12:37 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike selection question Rss Feed