General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what is a good no weight/weight room upper body workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-23 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: what is a good no weight/weight room upper body workout
I am looking for a routine I could do 4-6 times a week at night to work my upper body and perhaps my core. Currently I am running quite a bit and I did quite a bit of riding this year. I feel as though my legs are in good shape. I would like a routine that would help me tone up my arms/bike/chest. Something I can do at home with minimal equipment.

Currently I do yoga at night, with quite a few sun salutations. I kind of slacked off a bit on it during the biking season but now that it is winter I have a bit more energy in the evening. I like the sun salutations because it works my hamstrings and calves and has a some pushups in it (although I do extra pushups).

Anyways, this is rambling. Basically I want a 10-20 minute short intense routine that gets my blood pumping and makes my upper body sore. I would like it to be the same every day, but perhaps that is not ideal. It can include stretching or I can just add the stretching on after. I would do the body rock thing but my legs are pretty beat up from the running.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2012-10-23 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4465114

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: what is a good no weight/weight room upper body workout
The following routine is what I started doing 3 times a week during my recovery, worked well for my vanity and getting sore :p

10-15x Side Lat raises
10-15x front dumbell raises

repeat 3 times with no rest.

10-15x shoulder shrugs
10-15x bicep curl of your choosing. ( i prefer a twisting dumbell curl )

repeat 3 times with no rest

10-15x dumbell flyes
10-15x single arm back row / lawnmowers

repeat 3 times with no rest.

I have a cheap pullup/dip station as well so I'm able to do pullups and dips, but if that's not possible, you can find SOMETHING to do pullups on, even if it's a doorway chinup bar.    Dips can be done with your arms on the front of a chair instead of a dip station for a very similar workout as well.

Pullups to failure  ( plenty of variations that will stimulate more muscles in the arms and core )
Dips to failure
Pushups to failure
Crunches to failure.  ( may have to do these weighted if the numbers get to high, can do them twisting to engage more core as well )

Repeat 3 times.

I do very high reps, low weight so that I don't bulk up too much, but if you want to bulk up you can increase the weight and decrease the reps.  I'd still stick with 3 sets though.

For more core, you can throw in some supermans, grab a weight or medicine ball and do oblique twists, planks and side planks. etc.  I usually try to go to failure 3 times each.

I only ever did upper body 3 times a week though since back to back days of the same muscle groups with weights isn't great for recovery, but you can switch between weighted exercises one day, and the body weight stuff the next to shorten it and do more individual days.

With zero rest, and the proper weight choice this can work as a short aerobis workout with the supersets with no rest too!  2 for one deal! :D

Hope that helps!
2012-10-25 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4465468

User image

Champion
Calgary
thanks, that does hep. I suppose it doesn't make sense to do the same thing every day. I wanted to avoid getting weights but I can see I might need to invest in some, tough to do anything other than pushups and pull ups without them it seems.
2012-10-25 10:01 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-10-25 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4468519

Extreme Veteran
I just got a set of the adjustable ones, works well enough and you can sometimes find them used for cheap.

Benefit of low weight high reps is less investment too :p
2012-10-25 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4468756

2012-10-25 7:40 PM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Below is a simple strength training session that I designed specifically for runners, but it's suitable for triathletes too.  All that's needed are some dumbells and a stability ball.  It can be performed in about 30 minutes, hits muscles used for movement within the frontal and transverse planes (neglected by running), plus strengthens the core.  It does all this without overly fatiguing the primary running muscles, so it won't compromise the quality of the next run training session.

Notes: For the exercises that use weights: If you can perform 3 sets of 15 reps with PERFECT FORM, then increase the weight and decrease the reps the next time you do this workout.

Alternate exercise #'s 1 & 2, without any rest for a total of 2-4 sets of each:
1. Side Lunges (Alternating Sides) - body weight x 12-15 reps each leg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUX6Pz8vV0s
2. Dumbbell Wood Chops - 112-15 reps each side - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuiEZWIHWrA

Alternate exercise #'s 3 & 4, without any rest for a total of 2-4 sets of each:
3. Bent Over Dumbbell Rows - 12-15 reps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHIpkMAUyiQ
4. Stability Ball Push Ups - Reps determined by ability (stop 2-3 short of failure on first set & try to hold same reps for remaining sets) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6e8DCFTwj4

Alternate exercise #'s 5 & 6, without any rest for a total of 2-4 sets of each:
5. Saxon Bends (With weight plate, dumbbell, or medicine ball) - 12-15 reps each side - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCl_uYW8fcQ
6. Dynamic Planks - 30-90 Seconds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UImbPqGzJP4

2012-10-26 7:13 PM

Fall River, WI

I have a push up and pull up routine that has been providing me with good results.  I do 5 sets of pull ups with 5 sets of push ups in between the sets of pull ups.  Looks like this:

Wide grip pull ups then wide hand push ups

Shoulder width underhand pull ups then standard width push ups

Hands touching narrow overhand pull ups then decline stability ball push ups

Narrow underhand pull ups then hands touching push ups

Standard width over hand pull ups then standard push ups

About a minute between the sets

I repeat this twice.  I use a chair to help with the pull ups to get extra reps.  Been at this for about a month and can do more pull ups now than ever in my life.  I have no weight training background and developed this plan on my own, take it for what it is worth. 

2012-10-28 6:31 AM

Master
STL

This year I started incorporating more 'body weight' exercises into my routine. Ones I do include push ups, pull ups, dips, mountain climbers, inch worm, jump squats, wall sits (to name a few). I found a list on-line but in a quick search I couldn't find it. At one point this summer, I was using the playground equipment/area while my kids were at swim practice and they said I looked like I was training for the next American Ninja Warrior! LOL!

Anyway, I a mixed routine of these types of workouts once a week during a kickboxing session (in my basement). I got a standup kickboxing unit a few years ago and it's still fun just to go at it!

I still like doing weights at the gym, but mixing it up has also been fun and challenging. I would love to do Insanity/P90X but don't have the desire to spend the money, so that is where this stemmed from for me.

2012-10-30 8:50 AM

Champion
Calgary
thanks everyone.
2012-10-31 3:10 PM

Regular
CT

When I add up your primary question's constraints, it seems obvious ....pull ups.

I feel no other single exercise is as effective nor efficient at improving overall upper body strength, utility and asthetics.

To round out the muscle groups, add in pushups,

then something to engage the deltoid more, might need some dumbells there.

2012-11-01 5:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste (Siberia) Marie
I work with a set off resistance bands and a pair of 20# dumbells for my back and shoulders doing a wide variety of exercises. For my abs and core I hold to crunches, mt climbers, bicycle kicks, ect. I keep everything very basic and simple.
2012-11-03 1:28 PM

Veteran
Get a TRX.
2012-11-06 6:29 PM

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
For core/upper body/total body - PLANKS - and all their variations.  Finish your session with a 30-sec plank and work your way up to 2-3 mins.  There are many variations on the standards.  I promise you, if you do them right, you will feel it!
2012-11-08 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4486941

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what is a good no weight/weight room upper body workout Rss Feed