General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Team Ortho Foundation
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 52s
Overall Rank = 27/2532
Age Group = M3039
Age Group Rank = 3/281
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am and had an Ensure and a bowl of cereal along with some water and Gatorade throughout the morning.
Event warmup:

Ran a little over a half mile from the parking to to the race site.
Run
  • 1h 28m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Since my main focus is training for IMCOZ, my initial plan was to run a few miles before the race, run the race at my long run pace, and then get a few more miles in to make my 2.5hrs in. Well, that didn't happen! I said screw it, I'm racing! I was by no means race ready, wasn't fresh at all especially having ran 11mi the night before. But, I actually surprised myself and hit a huge PR, almost 3min better than my previous best! Now I'm curious as to how fast I can race a HM on fresh legs...I guess we'll have to see.
What would you do differently?:

Obviously be race ready, but this wasn't an "A" race or anything so no big deal.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IM training fatigue!

Event comments:

Almost any race held at the lakefront that is well organized is a good race. Only thing is they didn't give out AG awards. The race results say I'm sixth, but in every other race the top 3 overall get taken out of their respective AG's, which in this race were all from M3039. This would have made me third in AG so that's why I put that in this RR. Other than that, nice race.

Last updated: 2012-10-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:52 | 13.1 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/281
Overall: 27/2532
Performance: Good
Course: We did a 1 mile loop around Grant Park before getting the the lakefront path. Headed south to about 57th and then back up to Grant Park for the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-23 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon

2012-10-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4466471

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon
Awesome job on the PR! Is this a new course for the Monster half?
2012-10-25 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4466471

I ran this race and PRed as well.  Honestly might have had a better time if we didn't have to weave around the 5 and 10kers at the finish.  Ha.  Was a very fun race tho.
2012-10-28 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4468751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

doxie - 2012-10-25 10:17 AM Awesome job on the PR! Is this a new course for the Monster half?

Thanks!  Yeah it changed from last year...instead of going north after the first mile loop around Grant Park we headed south keeping it all on the lakefront path.  I like running down that way so it was nice but as rizz923 said, it did get a little congested with the 10kers which I didn't find too terrible.  I think it probably got worse about a minute behind me because I saw a lot of people come in right after I did.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon Rss Feed