General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada 2013 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-06-26 4:29 PM
in reply to: BigJuicyGirth

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Canada 2013 : Official Thread

Originally posted by BigJuicyGirth How'd the ride on the course route go gplitt (or anyone else who's done the course)? I'm really curious about what gearing set-up you think will be sufficient..... I'm running 52/36 up-front and 11-32 in the rear, and am wondering if I should be going to a compact 50/34 in the front for the IMC route?

Just my opinion, but I would think that a 50/34 and 11/28 would be overgeared a bit for the route, depending on your abilities.  And if you went to a 12-27, I would think that would be fairly similar to what you have now.....  I am running compact and 12-27 and that has gotten me through some very hilly and tough courses, and I am a big guy at 185#

2013-06-26 5:02 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by ChrisM

Quiet group......  

Have a 5 hour ride planned Sat with a Whistler-ish course profile.   2.5 miles swim Sunday, with a 1:45 run.  Training days are getting longer....

Bought my wife one of the VIP passes since she'll be there alone.  Hopefully, it will be worth it for her, and I wanted to make the day as easy for her as I could.  She's spectated a lot of races, including IMAZ, and she is as tired as I am racing sometimes .  It's a long day for everyone

Course recon notes show that the turnaround in Pemberton to T2 is going to put the hurt on us as the wind comes up.  Also lots of reports of bear sightings!  

This is my first long course race with power, should be interesting.

How do you like having a power meter? I've been contemplating getting one but the cost is scaring me off.
2013-06-26 5:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by devilfan02
Originally posted by ChrisM

Quiet group......  

Have a 5 hour ride planned Sat with a Whistler-ish course profile.   2.5 miles swim Sunday, with a 1:45 run.  Training days are getting longer....

Bought my wife one of the VIP passes since she'll be there alone.  Hopefully, it will be worth it for her, and I wanted to make the day as easy for her as I could.  She's spectated a lot of races, including IMAZ, and she is as tired as I am racing sometimes .  It's a long day for everyone

Course recon notes show that the turnaround in Pemberton to T2 is going to put the hurt on us as the wind comes up.  Also lots of reports of bear sightings!  

This is my first long course race with power, should be interesting.

How do you like having a power meter? I've been contemplating getting one but the cost is scaring me off.

I had the CT for a couple seasons, so always had it inside, just no way to transfer it outside.  Used it in a sprint and an Oly so far, and long training rides.  It can be frustrating at times, but I guess the real test is when I follow my coach's plan and then run off the bike.  Although not sure an IM is a great test, as I am not a great runner to begin with...  Anyway, decided to get mine from wheelbuilder when they had a special, 899 for a dt swiss wheel and PT, and then bought the $90 wheelcover, so it's my training and racing wheel.  At least that part of my training is simplified  LOL 

ETA  - all that said, I use a coach to set zones, based on testing.  You have to know hat to do with it and how to use it.  Otherwise it's just interesting information

Edited by ChrisM 2013-06-26 5:41 PM
2013-06-28 9:46 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
I'm at Whistler. I drove the course carefully with my altimetrer. I'm riding it in the morning, so some of this may be refined, but here are some observations:
1) It's a lot of up and down, especially at first. Out of the park it's a little up into Whistler, which is the high point altitudewise, and then mostly down (about 500 ft to the first major climb at Callaghan Highway. It isn't just downhill, though. There is a lot of roll for the first 70 miles or so. Almost nothing is flat.

2) Callaghan doesn't appear to be as bad as the Penticton climbs, especially Richter. My general impression is that there are more hills and climbs, but none as intense as the old course. Callaghan has a nasty two miles, 10%, then a little flattening, then another tough mile, and then up for five + but not too steep. To me, Ricther Pass and Yellow Lake were worse than anything on this course, but again I've only driven it. I saw a Grizzly Bear on Callaghan. Hopefully not tomorrow!

3) Once at the bottom of Callaghan, the back to Whistler is harder than I thought it would be. It goes up over 600 ft, and has some steeps. From Whistler to Pemberton is mostly down, and curvy, and full of traffic. There is a hard up around the Provincial Park, and it seems quite technical here.

4) The out and back is 32 miles, pretty, and flat as a pancake. I was about ready to think this course just too hard until here. This will be a good leg recovery before the uphill back to Whistler. The road was in almost perfect shape. They are working on it in a few places, and may fix the rough sposts.

5) While I'm on the subject, the roads overall are nice. Way bretter ( smoother, nicer) than Penticton.The out and back in Pencticon was hot and rough and a killer psychologically. This out and back will be the best part of the bike. Beautiful, bucollic and easy.

6). The ride back to Whistler will be hard, not because it's so steep, but because it's so late in the race. It goes up 1000 ft over a long stretch. People were talking about wind--not a breath of wind today, and I was later than we will be by about 2 hours. A little rain today, but not bad. If there's wind, this will be koller.

7). I'll update after my ride, but here's what I think as of now: this course is not as steep for as long as Penticton, but it has more hills overall. When I did Penticton in 2011 it was in the high 90s and I think hit 100. I highly doubt we'll have hot weather. With that, and the course in such nice shape, I would think this bike would be easier, although I'll know better tomorrow.
2013-06-28 10:16 PM
in reply to: gplitt

User image

Thanks for the report. . Word from people that have ridden both is that whistler will be about 15 minutes longer than penticton.
2013-06-28 10:42 PM

User image

Sydney
Yip I'm in, arriving from Sydney Australia on the 2nd for a long lead up on the course. Have a condo for 30 days.
Can't wait, training had been going ok, just did Epic Camp Lite in Kona with some big biking this month and managed an AG podium at the Honu 70.3 the weekend after the camp. Staying half way between Whistler and Whistler Creek so a bit out of the way but should be great. See you there. Pete

2013-06-30 12:06 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Rode the course today.

Here are my thoughts:

First of all, I have had two hard training weeks, and no taper. But anyway,

Out of the lake to Callaghan is a nice start. Callaghan is not that bad, and has a few flats to recover. The ride back to Whistler is hard. By this point, my legs were hurting, but again, no taper. Down to Pemberton was good, but not easy. The out and back was a good recovery. I little wind in the face out, a little on the back returning. I got back to Pemberton (90 miles) on pace to go under 6 hours...and then

The ride back to Whistler is 22 miles of Hell. It was easily as hard as Yellow Lake (I think harder) on the previous course, and late in the ride. The first 10 miles is so hard. Four killer hills, with downs on the other side, which was depressing because then you have to go back up, more than 1000 ft. I hated this, plus my water bottle fell off and I rode twenty miles with no water. The last five miles is not bad, but there was wind. People told me it is often worse.

Overall I rode it in 6:30. I think Chris is right, 15 minutes longer than Penticton. I think it's harder because there is a lot of up and down. Still, I rode a 11/26 and standard up front. I would not ride a compact because there is enough flat and downhill to need the big gears.

I could say a lot more but I'm tired. Ask specific questions if you want--I'll try to answer.

My overall thought is: I'm not nearly ready yet. We all better be doing lots of hill work or the bike will ruin the run.

2013-06-30 12:22 AM

User image

Thanks for the report. The two things I've taken away from multiple posts is hill training and more importantly really smart pacing the first half of the ride
2013-06-30 1:54 AM
in reply to: kingofbanff

User image

Yep that head wind and those hills are a recipe for very tired legs coming off the bike.
what's the Beta on the headwind?

My friend rode the Callagahan yesterday and saw three bears.

No idea what the beta is sorry.

rode the Pemberton end of the course during the week got absolutely soaked to the bone. hoping it will a better week this week.

can not believe how quick it is coming up.

2013-06-30 5:27 PM
in reply to: Crehanjohn

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Weather was 80 and muggy from all the previous rain. Some wind on Callaghan and on Pemberton to Whistler. Saw two bears. I don't know what a Beta means.

One other note. My previous post said roads were good. There was a lot more bad stuff than I noticed when I drove it, especially on the shoulders. And one important note. The bridges have serious lips on them. I hit one down Callaghan @ 42 MPH and nearly crashed. A couple others hit my front tire very hard and could cause a blowout. In general, bridges are uneven and harsh on the bike going on and coming off.

In general, you can fly the downs all out. But there is one tight curve down Callaghan and one really bad switchback near the provincial park. Better slow down on this one.
2013-07-01 4:25 PM

User image

8 weeks!   had a good 100 miler on Sat on the bike with a good mix of climbing and flats, and a somewhat hilly 13 mile run yesterday.  Need to get my OW swim mojo back though

Anyone know for sure whether 99/Pemberton Meadows road etc is going to be completely clsoed for the race, or partial?   Traffic plans seem to say they might be, recommending travel before and after certain times, but read somewhere that it won't be a full closure

2013-07-02 1:19 PM

Seattle
How safe did you feel training on the course? I am tempted to go up and ride the course, but in the videos I've seen, it looked like some of the shoulders were rather small.
2013-07-02 4:34 PM

So it sounds to me that a roadie with clip on bars will be more practical for the ups and downs versus the 30 miles of flats. Just saying I may have to consider leaving the speed concept at home.....which is bizarre.
2013-07-02 5:02 PM
in reply to: daselin19

User image

Originally posted by daselin19 So it sounds to me that a roadie with clip on bars will be more practical for the ups and downs versus the 30 miles of flats. Just saying I may have to consider leaving the speed concept at home.....which is bizarre.

Whatever you are comfortable with, but from everything I've read and seen, all else being equal (including fit), if the choice is between TT bike and road bike with clipons, it's TT all the way.  No way this course is technical enough to warrant a road bike.  JMO

2013-07-02 10:58 PM
in reply to: scoopisit

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Shoulders are very wide except on Callaghan and the out and back, and there is no traffic on those roads. It's a lot safer than Penticton was, although the shoulders are not always nice, especially from Whistler to Pemberton. No, I'd say very safe course.
2013-07-03 12:52 AM

New user
Bonney Lake
How is the run course? Is it flat or a bit of hills? I also read on the Facebook that a person just got swimmer itch in the lake. Is this common up there or was this maybe due to the first hot week? Just curious if I am going to itch all day lol.

2013-07-03 8:29 AM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by edawno How is the run course? Is it flat or a bit of hills?

You could always look at the official IMCan website for the answer.

2013-07-03 3:06 PM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Originally posted by edawno How is the run course? Is it flat or a bit of hills? I also read on the Facebook that a person just got swimmer itch in the lake. Is this common up there or was this maybe due to the first hot week? Just curious if I am going to itch all day lol.

NO significant hills that I have heard of.  Maybe a false flat up near Green Lake.

2013-07-08 6:40 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
Sorry. Beta means information in climbing lingo...or at least it did 20 years ago when I climbed. Trying to get a feel for if the wind is daily and at what speeds.
2013-07-09 6:58 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Supposedly the wind is 10 to 20 mph nearly every afternoon (actually starting about 11:00. It wasn't more than 5-8 when I rode, with a few gusts. Still, it's in your face from Pemberton to Whistler, at the end of the ride. Might feel good on the run, though. Unfortunately, there was no wind at my back in the same spot a couple hours earlier when I rode through the same spot, so it must start up as the afternoon comes on. They said it can easily be in the 90s in August.

My first race of the year is Vineman 70.3 on Sunday. That should give me some info on where I am.
2013-07-09 9:49 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
Temperature records for Whistler. Low 29F in 1916 High 102 in 2010.

2013-07-10 12:42 PM

Headed out to train on the course 07/19-07/21 and 08/09-08/11. Anyone around?
2013-07-10 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by daselin19 Headed out to train on the course 07/19-07/21 and 08/09-08/11. Anyone around?

Heads up that they are doing paving Whistler - Pemberton 7/10-20, so be aware of that.  

Have a few long rides in my legs, this weekend is the first long race sim brick.  Realized last weekend needed to get a saddle with some perineal relief, so trying out the sitero.  fingers crossed it works!   1:20 on the trainer this a.m., not bad so far. 

ETA - I've decided I am not worrying about the weather or wind.  Yet 

Edited by ChrisM 2013-07-10 1:13 PM
2013-07-16 1:23 PM

User image

Bump

6 weeks.....

Last weekend's long race sim went well

This week a bit of a shorter week then two more long build weeks into gradual taper.

I've been buying and using the honey stinger products on the bike and run.  Good thing I did. Never realized the "honey" meant, wel, actual honey.  If you don't like honey bring your own stuff, because every flavor basically tastes like honey with just a hint of chocolate or vanilla or....

2013-07-16 2:44 PM

Do we need to have a Triathlon Ontario (or any other organization, like 'USA Triathlon') card or membership, prior to checking-in? On the FAQ (Qu #18) for IMC it states: "Please bring your photo ID and Triathlon Ontario card (if applicable) during designated check-in hours."

Any thoughts?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada 2013 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 7