Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-14 1:32 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Subject: RE: Tough Mudder
Tough Mudder FL/Tampa 2011. Just figure about a HM through rough obstacles. I enjoyed it with a group of friends for a change of pace. Have not done one since. Lots of fun though.

2013-10-15 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4467891

User image

I did the Beaver Creek TM 6 days after the KS 70.3, I was tired but I did much better than I expected. I was with a large team & that made it much more fun. The only injuries I sustained were a rib popped out of place on one of the walls & some very sore ankles, the ankles were due to the Rocky Mountain terrain & not the obstacles. I would suggest carrying some calories with you as the aid stations are severely lacking, I too shook uncontrollably for a few hours afterward (probably due to lack of calories to keep warm). Will I do another, yes, but I might choose a pair of shoes with more ankle support.
2013-10-15 8:44 AM
in reply to: TriRSquared

Originally posted by TriRSquared

Slight hijack... there is an interesting article in this month's Outside on the Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, Spartan Race etc...

It's pretty cut throat competition between them all.  And there is a Facebook-style "he stole my idea" drama going on as well.

This...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/will-dean-tough-mudder_n_1966803.html

Owner of Tough Mudder seems pretty sleezy based on the various articles floating around. No one seems to have beef with the other mud/adventure races, but TM seems to bring the drama to themselves.

Who shows up at a competing event and actively poo-poos their registrants? 

2013-10-15 8:52 AM
in reply to: Major Ho

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
At Tough Mudder Tampa, and this is probably common at all these races, competing brands rented banner planes to fly all over the course advertising their branded race. So, it probably happens between them all.
2013-10-15 12:27 PM
in reply to: BigAirT

TM is truly a personal challenge as stated in their motto (as others have pointed out). Having done 2 of them and coming out with nothing more than shivers and muddy clothing I can attest that its how you play the game that will determine your risk factor. If you're out to pass every single person at any cost, yes, injury risk goes up. If you take your time, bond with your fellow teammates/course mates its a great day of physical obstacles that are more similar to a workout in the gym than an elite endurance regimen.

From my two races, hardly ANYONE will actually run while going from one obstacle to another. Very few will even jog lightly just to stay warm. Just watch a few homemade videos on youtube and you'll see that the average TM participant is not in peak physical condition. Granite there are some extremely fit people,and quite a few that are in pretty good shape, but its not the type of event that you couldn't make it through, especially being a triathlete competing in Oly's.

TM's are truly just an exhausting cold day of climbing, crawling, and some freaking cold water (if your obstacle is generally in the early spring or fall/winter. Many water obstacles are also iced down too.)

I had an absolute blast and consider myself a pretty decent athlete, no Ironman athlete by any means, but I train hard with goals in mind.

I don't see why you would have any trouble following up an Oly with a TM. People do get injured, yes, but generally my observation from witnessing the injured on course is that people were careless or had pre-existing injuries and pushed it too hard. Most people get to the end and are fully in tact, just exhausted.

Its a blast though so I highly encourage it. As an endurance athlete its a great reason to train your upper body and spice up your event calendar.

Cheers.
2013-10-15 7:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Update: I finished the Tough Mudder on Saturday. It would have been much, much harder to have done it the day after an Oly. Most of the obstacles you see or hear about look like they require a lot of upper body strength, but my legs were much more sore after the Mudder than my arms and shoulders were. There was also a lot more running than I expected. The course was 12 miles and we did most of it at a slow jog (until my buddy's wheels fell off at about mile 8), although you could certainly have walked it.

How triathlon helped:
-General cardio fitness
-Lower body strength was helpful running up berms and on climbing obstacles where I could use my legs.
-Comfort/familiarity with being in cold water. There were several water events and the water was between chilly and icy cold.
-Swimming (only short distances, but my buddy went into a water obstacle and had to be pulled out by the lifeguards. It's easy to forget that most people very rarely swim in water over their head or when they're tired). Swimming in clothes/shoes was weird too.
-Ability to put on short bursts of speed even when tired (more cycling than triathlon, I guess, but still)
-General, "I can do this" attitude. The whole event took just under three hours, and I knew that I could maintain a high level of activity for that long without a problem.

How triathlon was no help at all:
-Upper body stuff--monkey bars, climbing over walls, etc, was harder than I expected. I can do 10+ pull-ups but still struggled on some of these.
-High walls. Triathlon doesn't make you taller...
-Nothing on earth can prepare you for getting electrocuted.

Overall, it was a lot of fun. I'd do it again. It was just my buddy and I this time. It'd be fun to do it as part of a big team, although everyone pretty much helps each other no matter what.

Grats! I did NOT like the electric parts at all either. They had mini jolt one and then ones where it freaking hurts and your whole body jumps! I did one last month. It took 5 hours (yes, 5 hours!) to do the 11 mile course but luckily it was ~80 outside, so we had that going for us. I went with a large group of about 15 people and having to wait for everyone at each obstacle took an insane amount of time. I really enjoyed it for about 3 hours and then I really just got sick of it. It was fun but I was ready for a shower I would NOT recommend this to people who have serious races they want to do closely afterwards. You will get cut, bruised, or hurt in some way. Not horribly or anything (but possible...) but there are some some dangerous things on that course, more so since all the boards and places for hands are just loaded with mud. Overall, I thought it was good to do once but if I do another, it will be only be in one of the local 5K ones.

Edited by Blastman 2013-10-15 7:04 PM

2013-10-15 8:39 PM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

Veteran
Great White North
How cold could it have been? If it was really cold the mud would have been frozen.
2013-10-15 9:23 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by simpsonbo

How cold could it have been? If it was really cold the mud would have been frozen.

I'd say it was in the high 50's or low 60's most of the day. Not that that cold, really, but when you're soaking wet the whole time, it's really hard to get warm, even with all the activity. Honestly, I didn't mind the wet/cold that much (triathlon probably helped a little with that), but some people were really having a tough time.

One water obstacle involves jumping into ice water--literally they dump tons of ice cubes into the tank. You jump in, swim under a barrier that extends about 2 feet under water, and emerge on the other side. The rest of the water obstacles are just cold.
2013-10-16 11:20 AM
in reply to: e_powered

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Originally posted by e_powered
  • If you take your time, bond with your fellow teammates/course mates its a great day of physical obstacles that are more similar to a workout in the gym than an elite endurance regimen.

• From my two races, hardly ANYONE will actually run while going from one obstacle to another. Very few will even jog lightly just to stay warm. Just watch a few homemade videos on youtube and you'll see that the average TM participant is not in peak physical condition.

Seems boring and lame. Sorry if that is too forward. Things like this TM and the color run where nobody is timed... I dunno man, seems to give people an excuse to feel active while not actually doing anything. Should we really reward doing nothing instead of encouraging people to embrace an actual challenge? I'm not thinking that everyone should do triathlon, but jeez, surely you can train to run a sub 30min 5k instead of walking with your overweight friends through a 5k color run or chill through a Tough Mudder just so you can post pictures on Facebook.

And before anyone has a heart attack, I have absolutely nothing against other people no matter their fitness level or body, but rewarding not actually doing anything is a silly "Everybody wins!" mentality.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tough Mudder Rss Feed  

of 2