General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 6h 08m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/18
Pre-race routine:

Had a blueberry bagel at 6:00, banana at 8:00 and serving of sports beans at 9:00. I started at 9:15 in the last wave.
Event warmup:

Not much here. Walked from T1 to the swim start.
Swim
  • 33m 40s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I reached the turn buoy in what felt like no time at all! The swim was super fast. After the turn the water was a little choppy and we zig-zagged to the exit. Salt water in my goggles was more than a little distraction! Wetsuit strippers were awesome, even taking my suit off my wrists. Ran quickly through the warm showers but the water pressure was not really strong enough to do anything. Swim time includes the 400 yard run on rough roads to the entrance of T1. Next time I would definitely stash some shoes near the swim exit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Being a slow swimmer, I LOVE a swim with the current. I couldn't ask for anything more from this swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 18s
Comments:

Found my transition spot with no problems. Socks and shoes on, helmet and sunglasses on, and out I went. Took only a few seconds to shove everything back in my transition bag before I left. I wasn't sure how this point to point thing would work, but so far so good!
Bike
  • 3h 20m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.77 mile/hr
Comments:

There was a lot of traffic at various places on the course, with cars turning in front of me and coming in and out of the biking lane. There were signs that one lane was closed, but the only cones were on the main highway. A lot of cars ignored the signs and were in the biking lane. This course was definitely flat and required constant pedaling.

Go faster!!
Transition 2
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

I wasn't sure how this indoor transition would go but it was easy. There were volunteers to take and rack our bikes. Despite being told that they would take our helmets too, they would not and that threw me for a second. Found my transition bag easily. The aisles were narrow and there was some guy who decided to change his shoes right there, which slowed me up for a second. Went to the "changing tent" and changed my socks and shoes, reloaded my transition bag, and headed out of the convention center. This was much smoother than I expected.
Run
  • 2h 07m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great during this run. I kept to my run/walk plan, even when I didn't want to!! I was passing people constantly and felt strong. I didn't have any moments of wanting to quit or walk like I did last time. This HM time is actually faster than my 2 stand-alone HMs!!

I don't think I could have done anything better on this run.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Tom, sat down for a little while, had some pizza and celebrated! Went back to the hotel for a shower, went to a BBQ buffet for dinner, then headed back to the finish line to cheer on the full finishers!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My PF limited some of my run training, but I am still extremely happy with my performance.

Event comments:

B2B was a fantastic race. Everything from packet pickup to race morning to the volunteers to the finish line was well organized and fun. I will definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2012-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:40 | 2078 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point swim straight down the intracoastal waterway to the turn buoy, left turn and snake to the ladders at the marina.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:18
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:20:19 | 56 miles | 16.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/18
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Lollipop shaped course out the highway and then on some rural roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:07:06 | 13.1 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/18
Course: Mostly flat out and back course through town and on a path around a lake with an extra triangle twice. The course was not difficult to follow at all if you listened at the meeting and to the volunteers.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-10-25 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2012-10-25 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4468520

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed