General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-01-23 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4590160

New user

Polk City, FL
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course : Official Thread

We aren't crazy-fast bikers either.  Maybe 17-19 mph, depending on course.  And we usually try to find a store to stop at to grab something to drink on the route.  We keep a decent pace, but we don't hammer it hard.  

We want to come up on a good weekend when we can also swim in the lake too, without crazy wind and waves!  Although, we probably need to practice that as well!

2013-01-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4469601

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am jelous, might not get a outside bike ride here before the race if this weather does not warm a little.

So how fast do you need to swim to be faster than a gator?

2013-01-26 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4592823

I might be able to hang with you. There are a few gas stations on the loop, and with about 16 miles to go there is a Winn Dixie. 

As far as swimming faster than a gator--that doesn't matter--you just have to be faster than the person next to you

2013-01-27 8:26 PM

User image

Im definitely interested, please post the details when you put it together, for me the 2nd weekend (Sat) in Feb would be great.  I cant make it on Sundays.
2013-01-28 11:26 AM

User image

Jealous =(

I'll be up here in Atlanta riding by myself. Have fun and let us know how the course is.

2013-02-03 6:58 PM

New user

Polk City, FL

We've got a tentative plan (as long as weather remains good) to ride the bike course this Saturday morning (February 9).  Maybe do a swim afterwards.  Probably head out by 8am, unless it's cold, then may be a bit later...  

I'll post if we are for sure later this week...

2013-02-03 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
how cold could it get in florida I am waiting for a day with temps over 32 so I can get at leaset 1 outside ride in before this race
2013-02-04 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4606892

New user

Polk City, FL
It is a cold day in Florida if it doesn't get out of the 60's!  By the end of March, it will most likely be low 70's during the day, but could get pretty hot if the weather swings in that direction.  It still could start off in 40's first thing in the morning, but it will warm up quick.
2013-02-04 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4607451

User image

Expert

kirstenhite - 2013-02-04 10:22 AM It is a cold day in Florida if it doesn't get out of the 60's!  By the end of March, it will most likely be low 70's during the day, but could get pretty hot if the weather swings in that direction.  It still could start off in 40's

Thinking about that very same issue. I rode this weekend (Tampa area) and it was 40's when I went out, and my feet froze. 

2013-02-04 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4607656

User image

Expert
KateTri1 - 2013-02-04 11:49 AM

kirstenhite - 2013-02-04 10:22 AM It is a cold day in Florida if it doesn't get out of the 60's!  By the end of March, it will most likely be low 70's during the day, but could get pretty hot if the weather swings in that direction.  It still could start off in 40's

Thinking about that very same issue. I rode this weekend (Tampa area)  It was 40's when I went out, and my feet froze. 

2013-02-04 4:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So you are saying it might be wise to pack some cold weather gear for the bike

2013-02-06 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4608340

Unlikely to need any cold weather gear at that time of the year, it was 80 by the end of the race last year.  The course is rolling, but no mountains in Ocala.
2013-02-06 8:00 PM

New user

Polk City, FL

Saturday anyone?  Weather looks great, we are calling our tentative plans FINAL!  Probably get there about 8am, riding by 8:30.  Plan on doing the whole bike course, and then adding on another 20-25 miles (we're training for the full).  Then maybe a run around some of the run course in the park.  And then pulling on wetsuit and trying out the lake!

Anyone else up for it?

We are actually going to stay up there Saturday night and probably do some running/swimming there on Sunday too.  But Saturday will be our bike day.

2013-02-07 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4611985

I'm in for the bike. I'm only doing the half so won't add miles. I wanted to do it a few weeks ago and was advised not to go alone, so sounds great. Not sure if I'll have time to run or swim, but bike for sure. fyi, there's a $5 parking fee at carney that they don't provide change for.
2013-02-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4611985

I may be in also, do you have the course directions all set??  What kind of pace to you ride??
2013-02-07 10:22 AM

New user

Polk City, FL

Double-checking the course map in Google Earth today to make sure road names match (been caught by that before!).  We ride around 17 - 19, depending on terrain/hills/road roughness.  We take our time at intersections, and may stop at a convenience store quickly if we need something.  A good working pace but nothing crazy.    Should be a fun ride!

2013-02-07 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4612732

I grew up in the area, though I haven't spent much time there in the last 10 years. I've been told that the roads north of 40 get hilly, but I haven't seen it for sure anytime recently. I do know landmarks of the course closer to the race site. 

Also, it looks like the local tri group is getting some people from the bike shop together to ride the different distances. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TriOcala/  so there may be more people of different speeds involved. I'm not sure if I can hold 17-19 mph for 56 miles, but I will certainly try. I have only gone for about 2 hours at that speed before.

Edited by jptptptp 2013-02-07 11:35 AM
2013-02-07 12:26 PM

New user

Polk City, FL

Don't worry about our speed - by the time you factor in stopping at intersections, quick restroom/convenience store breaks, our average speed is much slower.  So I guess you could say 17-19 is our "moving average!"

Thanks for the FB link to the TriOcala group.  Nice to see there will be a decent-sized group out there on Saturday.  We still want to ride out around 8:30 since we are going to do a longer distance...

2013-02-07 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Have fun with the course. I wish I could join this weekend, only a couple hours away, but other oligations. If possible, include road condition details. Be safe.
2013-02-08 11:32 AM

Ok I guess I'll meet you around 8 at Carney Island. If you've never been to the park, there are several parking areas, but the one all the way at the back of the park is where Lake Weir is, with the beach entrance and the changing areas. That is where the tri group meets. (and supposedly where transition will be, though I wasn't at the race last year to know for sure.)
2013-02-08 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4614551

New user

Polk City, FL
Sounds good, we'll park back there too!

2013-02-09 7:33 PM

User image

I hope you guys had a good ride. Any info you can share?
2013-02-09 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4615973

I thought it was a beautiful ride-- Kirsten, thanks for including me and being patient with my inexperience. I really enjoyed it. 

The sections on County Rd 25 and State Road 40 were a little hairy with traffic. Hopefully there will be enough of a police presence on the day of race to slow drivers down. Besides that, there was little traffic on the back roads. There was some rough pavement, but nothing terrible. As an inexperienced biker, I didn't think there was a single substantial/scary hill on the course-- I stayed in the big ring in the front. 

I don't know what else to add, if you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them. 

2013-02-10 8:02 PM

New user

Polk City, FL

We had fun too!  The bike course wasn't hilly at all, just some gentle rolling hills.  Never had to come out of the big ring in front and never had to stand up or pedal hard.  Roads weren't unusually rough either.  Not smooth, but not too rough.  It was pretty open, so could get hot depending on the weather.   Pretty scenery though.

We also rode the asphalt part of the run course.  Some rolling hills there too, but I don't think they will be enough to slow anyone down (I'll already be going slow by that point!).  The section of the run down SE 101st avenue has very rough pavement.  Luckily it's less than a mile long, one way, so shouldn't be too much of an issue, but it's making me rethink my shoe choice.  Again, pretty open the entire way, so heat could be an issue if the weather is right (or I should say, if the weather is wrong!)

We did run the 3 mile trail part of the run through the park.  It's basically a hard-packed sand road.  However, the sand was not as hard-packed as I would have liked it to be.  There were sections where the sand was loose, which made it hard to run, so we ended up having to run on the grass along the side of the road.  Maybe about 25% of it was loose like that.  Again, not too big of a deal because I'll already be going slow, but having to zig-zag around to look for the hard-packed section and having to run in the grass can be big energy zappers.  But it hasn't rained here in forever, so hopefully a few storms before the tri will pack it better.  Lots of shade on this loop, so that will be a plus if it's hot. Also really pretty scenery here too.

We didn't get in the lake, it was too windy and we were too tired, but the beach area looked nice and the water was fairly clear.  The park is really pretty, we're looking forward to the tri!  I don't feel like it will be one where you want to try to make a PR, but overall doesn't seem any more difficult than any other courses. 

2013-02-11 12:58 PM

New user

Polk City, FL

I just emailed a few questions about the full iron distance to the race director, and received a very speedy reply.  Thought I'd share the info with everyone:

Q: Will there be changing areas/tents? 
A: Yes, there will be changing tents available

Q: Will there be drop bags that we can have access to as we loop back through the start/finish area on the bike and run?
A: Yes, we will have special needs bags available at the halfway point on both the bike and run legs

Q: Are swim booties/socks legal to wear?
A: Swim booties are legal as long as they do not have any webbing

Q: Do we exit the water in between the two laps on the swim?
A: Yes, you will come out onto the beach briefly, around a buoy, and back in. This is how we typically operate the swim portion, but make sure that you attend at least one of the pre-meetings to hear whether anything has changed from our race director

Q: Should we bring a headlamp for the run portion, if we expect to be finished after dark?
A: Yes, we recommend bringing headlamps if you plan on being on course after dark

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Half Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4