KLM Marketing
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 11m 28s
Overall Rank = 41/162
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 6/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke around 4 (3am my local time) and really couldn't get back to sleep. Rose at 5 for a light breakfast (egg, coffee, water, and cliff bar). Met Ben and Claire at 5:30 to head out to the course.
Arrived a around 6:00am for a 7:30am start (first wave). Tuned bike and scored a prime spot in the transition area (end spot second row down from road course).
Water temp was anounced at 7:00 as 76 but had mentally prepared myself to swim without one so didn't put it on.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1.5 miles around 7:00am and did some light stretching (should have done more but I was really wiped from a long week and being in the car the day before.
Swim
  • 15m 21s
  • 1100 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wasn't mentally prepared to hammer the swim. Just wanted to come out of water with plenty of energy and not way off pace.
I started inside planning to swim in the pack but got rocked at the start and rounding the first bouy. I drifted left to get out of the crowd (was swimming up on people) but was having trouble navigating as I didn't trust the swimmers on my right. Eventually the pack thinned and I worked my way to the right to swim along the bouys. I felt really good and wasn't really exerting myself.
What would you do differently?:

I'd be a bit more competitive and aggressive next time. I feel like I left a lot in the water (but was fresh for the ride)
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

terrible T1. ran to the wrong rack. Put right sock and shoe on only to not find my second sock! Removed right shoe and sock and went sockless. Had trouble getting gloves on due to wet hands. Strapped on hrm and went shirtless.
I'm pretty sure the course was less than 1100yds

be prepared more. should do this in about a minute. just wasn't prepared
Bike
  • 56m 57s
  • 19.71 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Hit the ride pretty hard. spent a lot of time in the aero position and pretty much maintained that except for the tougher hills.

More conditioning. Had expected to average 22mph+ but the hills and wind suprised me. Had just got my bike less than two weeks ago and had ~150miles on it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

transition area crowded due to sprint/duathlong racers and had to cross traffic getting to my rack. don't know how I managed to spend over a minute in T2 because I felt like I did it about as fast as I could. decided to run shirtless and strapped my number to the front of my jammers.
Had a race goal of 2:05. Had I been able to hit 7 minute miles I would have accomplished this.

use a race belt. maybe go back to speed laces.
Run
  • 55m 57s
  • 7 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

wanted to do 7 minute miles but my legs were cashed! I was mentally not there and just wanted to get to the finish line. got passed by about 3 runners and maybe passed 2. felt good OK from a cardio standpoint but couldn't get the legs to stride.

prepare better with a lot of bricks. more stretching in pre-race and the few days leading up to the race may help.
Post race
Warm down:

two g-ades and a water. walked down the finishing stretch to catch Ben finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to run coming off a bike. may need to fuel better during race (my strategy for sprint and oly races has been to down a large bottle during the ride - don't feel like I need more for a 2hr or less rae)

Event comments:

very organized. prelim results were posted shortly after I finished and final results posted online by the end of the day. Awards started promptly. Good job KLM!

Last updated: 2006-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:21 | 1100 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 57/162
Performance: Below average
No heart rate monitor used on swim.
Suit: none
Course: rectangular course (a lot of bouys with r/h turns - YES!)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:57 | 19.71 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Overall: 37/162
Performance:
avg'd ~170bpm
Wind: Some
Course: decent course with a lot of straights. About 70% of the road was pretty course and a lot of hills. the wind out of the ssw really only left one straight with the wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:57 | 07 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 50/162
Performance: Bad
170avg/186max
Course: rolling on a bike path around lake. aide stations each mile. decent shade, which is good considering the sun was starting to poke through.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes