United States
Set-Up, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 22s
Overall Rank = 124/235
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:00 for a race start at 8:00 (should have gotten up earlier). Ate a peanut butter sandwich and was off.
Event warmup:

Ran around like crazy trying to do packet pick-up and set up my transitions without forgetting anything!!
Swim
  • 36m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I never really got into a groove on the swim and never really pushed myself. I did not panic or anything but it was like I was out for a Sunday stroll!! I weaved back and forth but never got too far off course.
What would you do differently?:

Go a little harder and need to practice more open water swimming. My sighting is not too good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

The swim was not wetsuit legal so I did not have to worry with it in T1. T1 was okay but not as fast as usual. You had to put all the stuff you were not taking with you in a bag to be picked up at the end.

Practice this type of transition. Put shoes on bike.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 19s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Something was wrong with my bike from the beginning and I did not feel totally safe on it but I figured I would keep going. The cranks were making an awful noise and I know people around me were annoyed hearing the sounds it was making. At least they did not have to hear it for 28 miles. I still have to take it in the shop. Anyway I have not been biking a lot the last couple of weeks and it showed. My legs just would not produce on the hills. I did alright but well below par. I should have been 1:25:00 or below. At mile 20, I was ready to be off the bike.

Ride more leading up to the race and get my bike figured out before race day. I must say the last time I rode it there were no problems.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Pretty good T2. I got my shoe a little hung up and could have been more into a sprint of the bike but there were other cyclist around so I kinda had to let them clear.

Run faster.
Run
  • 47m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I handled the run pretty good. It was my first olympic distance race so on the run I just went by feel. I would push a little here and let up a little there. I passed a few people but who knows if they were on their first or second loop. That's why I hate multiple loop courses!! I also ran with no socks and this is about my limit with no socks. I felt the blisters starting to form on the second loop but never got to serious. Overall I am satisfied with my run. There is a nice hill leading to the turnaround point!!!

Just train a little more but I have been picking up on my running so it should get better!!
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in the shade with an ice towel on my head drinking a sprite!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and genetics. I like using the genetic excuse!!!

Event comments:

I thought this race went out of their way to take care of you. I would not say they had the best post race food but there was a variety and plenty of liquid. Most of the set-up races these days only give a t-shirt. This race gave hammergel, t-shirt, garment bag, endurolites, and if you picked one up on the bike a water bottle!!! The lake is really nice to swim in and deep!!

Last updated: 2006-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:43 | 1640 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/32
Overall: 188/235
Performance: Bad
Suit: No wetsuit. Only Tri shorts & goggles.
Course: Swim was point to point L-shaped course across a lake. You did have to run up this huge boat ramp when done to get to T1. That was about 1 minute 30 seconds for me. The lake was very deep and one thing I noticed was that there were no kayaks or boards so if you were to panic and needed a little break.......then I guess your day would be over b/c all I saw were motorized vessels!!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:19 | 27.96 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/32
Overall: 128/235
Performance:
Average Heart Rate = 172
Wind: None
Course: The course was hilly, hence, Over The Mountain. It was not terrible but there was more climbing than descending. Once you got into the park though the ride was shaded for a while.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:47 | 06.21 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/32
Overall: 86/235
Performance: Good
Course: Two loop course out and back with very little shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-21 6:04 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: Over The Mountain Triathlon

2006-06-21 8:19 AM
in reply to: #461188

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: Great Job!

Sounds like you had a great race--I know it's not an easy course! Isn't is crazy how hard those hills can knock you on your a$$?!

Anyhoo, great job--keep up the great work!

2006-06-21 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: Over The Mountain Triathlon

Great job on your first OLY and on a course that would have scared me big time  ( I HATE HILLS).  Your swim was not bad, you Bike, despite your mechanical issuesm given the amount of hills, was AWESOME, and then to come off that bike and put up a 7:41 10k pace has me bowing to your greatness!  That was AWESOME!

Keep up the good work -- You're doing GREAT!

2006-06-21 9:16 AM
in reply to: #461348

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Whoa, yeah, how did I miss that run pace!? You're faaaast!
2006-06-22 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

great race!! that's a solid bike pace for feeling unprepared, and a smokin' run time!!

nic ejob!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Over The Mountain Triathlon Rss Feed