General Discussion Race Reports! » TMC Get Moving Tucson Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TMC Get Moving Tucson Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
TUCSON, Arizona
United States
Southern Arizona Roadrunners
Total Time = 1h 47m 46s
Overall Rank = 118/550
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/47
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5 and had a Luna bar and hot tea as I left the house. Downtown driving and parking is a pain, and it took a while to park, get my bib and shirt, go back to the car and drop stuff off, and take care of business.
Event warmup:

The race started at 7, but I really didn't have time to do much warmup. Maybe I should take the time to pick up my packet the day before for races where I know I am going to have to park a fair distance from the start. I lined up about 15 feet behind the start line.
Run
  • 1h 47m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This race is in the middle of my marathon training schedule and certainly not one that I tapered in to. My goal was to run it well, but not to full-on "race" it. I had a soft goal of an 8-minute mile pace. I had run this race last year in 1:49:28 (8:21 min/mile). Due to construction downtown, the course had been changed. Last year, A Mountain came early in the course, and this year it came in the middle.

The weather was nice and cool at the start. I saw one of my rivals, and she came over and started with me. She hadn't raced in a while and was doing the 5K (all of the racers were starting together). The first few miles felt really easy and I was hitting 7:40ish for my splits. I ran with my Ragnar team captain for a while. He usually starts slower than me and then beats me handily. We all ran past the finish, and the 5Kers started to sprint which felt a little strange because the rest of us had a lot of race left. As we left the shady downtown area and started heading toward A Mountain, I started to slowing down a bit. It wasn't hot yet, but the sun was shining brightly. The captain had left me, but I ran for a while with one of my other Ragnar teammates. As I started to make it up A Mountain, some of the fast folks were already coming down. I didn't recognize the first woman, but later learned that it was Alica Shay. She and several other fasties came down from Flagstaff to race.

A Mountain is a little over a mile with 400 feet of elevation gain. There is no surging up this sucker. It's all about taking short strides and continuing to move forward. It's really nice when you get toward the top and run around the side because you get a nice view of the city. It's a nice feeling of accomplishment when you get to see just how high you've come. After the short, flat section, it's a steep, fast run down. I tried to stay light on my feet, but you can't avoid some jarring contact.

The course flattened out with just under five miles remaining, and I was hoping to pick the pace up. I also felt a little hungry, so I ate a few of my Sport Beans. The temperature had crept up and was mildly uncomfortable. The next few miles were run along a river path. Occasionally, I made a mental and physical effort to try and pick up the pace, but it didn't stick.

When the course returned to the downtown area, I was feeling pretty beat and knew that my time goal was out of reach. I passed one of my tri friends, and he sped up and ran with me. He said that he figured that I'd catch him. I said that if he felt like taking the race, I wasn't going to stop him. I didn't want to do an all-out sprint for this race, and I didn't feel like it either. We ran together for a bit, then he sped up and beat me by 1 second. When I checked out the chip time results, I had beaten him by 3, but who's counting? ;)
What would you do differently?:

Start a little slower?
Post race
Warm down:

I reconnected with some friends after the race. The general consensus was that the new course was harder than last year. It was also warmer this year. I went back to my car to drop of my medal, with the intention of running some cooldown miles and going back to the post race festivities. When I got to there, I thought "Why don't I just sit down for a few minutes?" The minutes came and went, and I decided just to go home. I was exhausted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This wasn't an A race, so I was probably carrying some fatigue from my workouts. I think that I probably started too fast as well. Still, I took over a minute and a half off my time from last year, so I can't be too upset.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-10-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:46 | 13.1 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/47
Overall: 47/550
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/235963302
Course: Subtle rolling hills around downtown Tucson and the surrounding areas, with the exception of one freaking steep climb in the middle.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-28 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: TMC Get Moving Tucson Half Marathon

2012-10-29 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4472656

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: TMC Get Moving Tucson Half Marathon

Nice race - errr run! Smile

Waita' shave some time off, too!

2012-10-30 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4474141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: TMC Get Moving Tucson Half Marathon
Thanks! It sounds like you have some fun races (runs?) coming up before Boston. Mustache Dache? Smile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TMC Get Moving Tucson Half Marathon Rss Feed