Stonebridge Racers
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 33s
Overall Rank = 9/101
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:50am, had half a bagel and some power gels. Pretty cold weather so made sure to go to the restroom.
Event warmup:

Ran around the parking lot for about 5 minutes, easy jog then some strides just to get the circulation going.
Run
  • 1h 11m 33s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't planning on this race but needed a 9-mile marathon pace run as my last 'long run' prior the NYC Marathon. Decided to do this as it would also be good practice on holding back and just running my target pace/effort. Fortunately joined up with 2 other people that were running that similar pace and was able to keep moderate effort (was even talking during the race). I tripped right after the Mile 6 marker on uneven pavement and sprained my wrist and got some abrasions on my left wrist but nothing else so wasn't too bad. I was looking at the Mile marker and it was at an odd place where you think you had to turn so it caught my attention and I didn't see the lip on the pavement. I did a full splatter and was scared I hurt myself right before NY but was lucky. Got up and caught up with the 2 people that I was running with. Stayed with them for a bit then decided to turn it up with under a mile left. The next 2 people were about a minute ahead so way too far to try and catch in less than a mile so I started to just take it easy once I was clear of the nearest person. Felt good at the end and it's a strange feeling finishing easy.

At Mile 2, I also started having the urge to find a porta-john but I couldn't find a discrete place to take a short pit-stop (we were running in neighborhoods and it would not be cool to pee on someone's lawn) so I was just forced to hold it for next 7+ miles.
What would you do differently?:

Not trip and splatter as I needed about 30 sec to recover from that. Also need to figure out the whole needing to go the bathroom after 2 miles. I think I better warm-up longer in NYC so I can go again right before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Easy jog then free massage. Took my recovery shake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tripping and falling plus having to go to the bathroom for most of the race (some would argue that this made me go faster). This was a taper run so with the exception of the last mile, I was keeping the pace reasonable.

Event comments:

Small local race and they had plenty of signs but apparently, some kids decided to play pranks and move some signs the previous evening and they were not able to fix all of them. There was one point where I didn't know where to go but was lucky the other 2 people I was with did. Some other racers got lost and ran an extra 0.2 miles...

Last updated: 2012-10-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:11:33 | 9.32 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 9/101
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/238158273 http://www.eteamz.com/racechiptiming/files/hh2012.htm
Course: Fairly hilly course in McKinney
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes