Tri The Rez
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 8s
Overall Rank = 275/327
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Why did I decide to do a tri? My husband (KWDreamun) has always been fit but it’s mostly been from weight lifting. He is the truest definition of a Type A personality and will not do anything unless he is giving it 1000%. The first of this year, he said that he had always wanted to do a triathlon and decided it was wimpy to not try just because he doesn’t know how to swim. So he began swim lessons, bought a wetsuit, bought a bike, stopped working out at the gym 6 days a week, and began working on SBR. His biking came on quick. Swimming slower. He still does not consider himself a swimmer and he was going into this tri with a lot of fear.

Thirty years ago, I fell in love with swimming and it was my ONLY exercise for years. Then 3 years ago I began running and fell in love with races. I never planned to do a tri but after I saw K’s devotion to the tri, I wondered if I could do one. I can swim so what happens if I get a bike? This summer, K bought me a bike. I’m lousy and I know it but I thought that I could try a tri – after all, I can do 2 of the 3, right? Well, not really because I found that my swimming, while great as an exercise, has lots of bad form and basically, I suck at it. So I was entering the tri with 2 weak sports and one non-weakness. K has 2 strong and 1 weak – but he is still doubting he will live thru the swim.

So this race is K and my first tri. We attended several OWS clinics and K bailed on one. I found I was DFL on the swim so partnered with my lousy bike skills, I knew I would be near last. K made it thru some more OWS swims but still doubts himself.
Event warmup:

Breakfast at 5:30 and then arrive at race site about 6:30. K and I unload our bikes and each set up transition. Several bathroom breaks and stretches. Met up with several new friends.
Swim
  • 16m 23s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

6 waves with 3 min between each; K is wave 3 and I’m wave 5. At the first buoy, someone in K’s flight needs the lifeguard. Is it K? Oh God, please not! People can’t drown because it is so shallow but you could still quit. Next wave is a little late because of the lifeguard. Then my flight at 8:45. I don’t see K but then again, I’m just trying to make it. (Night before we both said that we would let each other do their own race. I wouldn’t stop the swim to check on him and he wouldn’t stop the bike to check on me.)

I'm comfortable swimming but my nerves make my strokes short and ineffective. Also, cannot stand the thought of contact so I pull back. Many people walked during the swim and I confess I touched down to walk around the first buoy. But I don't want to do that because this is supposed to be a swim, right? So I swam the rest of the time - freestroke and backstroke. Passed by many of the Clydes but wasn't dead last.
What would you do differently?:

Practice, practice, practice. Lengthen stroke. Learn to not freak during contact. Wish I hadn't wimped out and touched down at first buoy.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

I didn't really rush thru T1 but I didn't piddle-fart around. Ate a granola bar. Spent just a little longer on the socks because one wasn't right. (I don't clip in so I have regular shoes.) But now that I see T1, I wonder WTH I was doing? Did I sit down and have lunch and forget it? Almost 3 bleeping mins!?

Lose the socks? IDK. Def need to cut off some time here.
Bike
  • 54m 31s
  • 13.96 miles
  • 15.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Fully expected to be passed by everyone. A couple of Clydes passed me around mile 4. Saw K at my mile 5 and his mile 9 so I was thrilled that he hadn't drown. Relaxed and found I was passing people. And then some more. And some more. Never expected that.

Finished the race in less than an hour which is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FOR ME!!! Awful for others but Huge for me!

While this wasn't a good time for others, it was STUPENDOUS for me. I possibly should have passed near the turnaround cone and the end but I didn't. I really wouldn't do anything different.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Jumped off bike, ran to rack, racked, dropped helmet, grabbed cap and bib, and left T2. Put on cap and hooked bib on run.

nothing
Run
  • 29m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

No one passes me on the run. It takes me ¼ mile to find my legs and a little longer to find my breathing pattern. Then all was easy and I was grinning the whole time. At mile 2, I find M, a woman that I met during one of the OWS. We run together and then when we hit 2.8, I told her we will push it. K is at mile 3 yelling for me to sprint and so I dial it up as hard as I can. I passed several more people and finish strong. Turn around and yell for my new friend M. Right afterwards, L comes in too.

I thought my run time was several min faster so I'm a little disappointed. Just a little. Prob could have kicked a little sooner. Overall tho, I'm pleased.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking some and then stretches. Food and drink. Signed up for massage but then was so cold, I blew it off to get more clothes on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim technique and time in the saddle.

Event comments:

Perfect 1st time race. They had 3 ows which I think is awesome. Best RD and the volunteers were fun and upbeat.

Found that there were only 3 in my AG and I got 2nd. Got a beautiful piece of pottery by a local artist.

Last updated: 2012-10-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:23 | 600 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 317/327
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: Horseshoe shape - 200 yards, turn right, 200 yards, turn right, 200 yards in to boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:31 | 13.96 miles | 15.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 280/327
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back. 7 miles out, around a cone, and back by airport.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:33 | 03.11 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 222/327
Performance: Good
Course: Near lake and slight uphill. Off road mile 1-2 and then back on road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-29 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Tri The Rez

2012-10-29 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4473261

Subject: RE: Tri The Rez

Good Job!!

It's good to see someone else reviewing this race! I also thought it was AWESOME that I saw at least 4 or 5 collegiate teams there. Made me feel good to know I was supporting this race and overall supporting Triathlon as a collegiate sport.

2012-10-29 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Great Job! Your transitions were super fast for a first timer (or an any timer). You were first AG in your run, so nice work there. To me, that means you have untapped speed on the bike, so maybe a good place to start? And I am the same on the swim. I spend a lot of time sighting and navigating and generally not swimming fast so my OWS are kind of slow, but hey, you just started. Most people have a panic attack on their first swim...

Overall a strong first time tri...I think you're gonna own your age group in a year or two! Congrats! Q

2012-10-29 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

So proud of you.  You have several 1st here

1st tri!

1st time riding your bike on the road with cars!!!

1st AG award!

you ROCK!

2012-10-29 6:32 PM

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA

Great Race Report.  You did an AWESOME job.   My hubby and I race together as well.  Actually we train together, but do our own race on race day.  It's fun when you can share the experience.

Nice finishing for your first TRI!

2012-10-30 8:33 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Congrats to you and K!  Awesome job triathlete! Hopefully you and K are still smiling about it. It is quite an accomplishment.

2012-11-13 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Congrats, and awesome job!!

I love your review! It inspired me to do a recap on my race that day as well. I love your comments on the swim. You made it out of the water before me, so I think you did pretty good. As for your T1 comments, you had me laughing!! I biked in my running shoes too. If you want to shave some time off here, I would wait to eat that granola bar until you are a few miles into your bike ride. As for socks - find some that slide on easy over wet feet; I found some ankle socks that are not cotton that slide right on.

Looking forward to training with you or seeing you at a race soon!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri The Rez Rss Feed