General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible To Negative Split Ironman Run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-03-11 1:46 AM
in reply to: #4474685

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Possible To Negative Split Ironman Run?
tri808 - 2012-10-30 12:53 AM
Left Brain - 2012-10-29 7:32 PM
JM2 - 2012-10-29 9:44 PM
Experior - 2012-10-29 8:10 PM

Of course it is possible.  It doesn't happen very often.

But the reason it doesn't happen often is that it is oh so easy to go too hard in the 'early stages' (first 8-10 hours. lol) of an IM.  While it isn't clear that negative splitting the marathon is the best strategy, attempting to negative split is probably a very good strategy for many of us.  It might lead to actually running the entire marathon.

Yea, I guess in reality that is kind of my thought.............

That's my goal as well.  The accepted rule here seems to be that the marathon can't be run....especially for a first timer. I call bullchit.

Like you, I don't want to walk.  I have yet to walk in any race I've done.  I've been slow as hell a time or two, but I haven't walked.  My first IM, or at least the first IM I have signed up for is Tahoe......my goal is to not walk any portion of the marathon.  I won't believe it can't be done with the right bike pacing.

As I mentioned before, it's not just about bike pacing...it's about bike fitness too.  The higher your bike fitness the faster you go at lower effort.  Which in turn means the shorter amount of time you are on the bike, which means essentially you are fresher for the run...and increases the likelyhood of you running the whole thing (or in the case of the OP, give you a better chance of negative splitting).

If athlete A and athlete B both swim and bike at the same effort, but athlete A is able to complete his bike in 5 hours where athlete B completes his bike in 6.5 hours...athlete A is going to have more in the tank for the run even though they both paced the bike well.

I agree with the bolded - don't neglect the bike training.  Especially for IM Lake Tahoe where you'll be at 5000-7000 feet.  You may think you're riding easy but HR will creep up on you... unless you live in Boulder or something

2013-03-11 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4654389

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Subject: RE: Possible To Negative Split Ironman Run?

I agree.  I hear all the time that people are not spending as much time on the bike and more on the run for Ironman _______ because they really want to have a good run split.  Improving your bike fitness, capacity, training etc. can and will have a profound effect on your running.

Your bike during the race should all be about setting up your run and your bike training should all be about letting you bike as fast as you can with minimal effort.  Meaning, you want to be a better biker without having to ride harder on race day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible To Negative Split Ironman Run? Rss Feed  

of 3