General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numb Hand During Bike Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-06-21 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX
Subject: Numb Hand During Bike Ride

This may sound goofy, but on longer rides, my left hand goes numb.

I think it is planted/placed the same as my right hand on the handle bars (I do not have aerobars yet - I wanted to figure out what I was doing first).

I noticed it last week, about half way into the ride, my hand felt ...weird.

Well last night I rode 26 miles, and for sure it was going numb, then during one part of the ride, while focusing on my pedaling through the hills, it went completely numb. I had to drop my arm a couple of time to get some feeling back into it.

Is it just happening to me?

Any suggestions?

Thank you

(I apologize if this topic has been discussed before and is a repeat)

2006-06-21 9:29 AM
in reply to: #461404

Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Numb Hand During Bike Ride
The exact same thing thing happens to me. It's weird that it's only the left hand. When I feel it starting I remove my left hand from the bars and shake it a little. That helps some, but I'd like to find a way to prevent it.
2006-06-21 9:31 AM

User image

Johannesburg
I get varying degrees of numb hand, depending on how long I cycle and how often I sit up to relieve pressure of my hand/s. It usually happens to me when I ride without my gloves (on the indoor trainer). Think it is just a matter of blood being cut off from your hand by your weight (not that I think you are heavy ) on the handlebar.
2006-06-21 9:42 AM
in reply to: #461415

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

Okay so it is just something to deal with, huh? Crazy ... but doable

I did wear gloves (Pearl Izumi) with the little padding in the key places (not the gel).

2006-06-21 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Think about it.  When you scratch your face, adjust your sunglasses, wipe your nose, grab your water bottle, etc. what hand do you use?  I don't know about you, but I personally use my right hand way more often than my left.

Thus, even though they're positioned the same way on the handle bars, the lucky right hand gets to move around more, while the left hand stays put.  And goes numb.

I try to remember to move my left hand around.  I try to remember to use it to scratch or wipe or whatever.  But it still goes numb.  So I have to shake it out every so often. 

It sucks. 

2006-06-21 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
This was happening to me as well.  One of the girls in my group ride said to remember to relax your upper body and keep your arms bent.  This helps with the blood flow.

2006-06-21 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
I did a week long ride last week and my hands are still numb.

Kelly
2006-06-21 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran

I've had this problem with my right hand....and I'm left handed.

My hands were going numb on longer rides and then my right hand would stay number for days afterward. I applied ice packs and took anti-inflammatories.  My doctor thinks I was compressing the the ulnar nerve.  He told me to add more padding to the handlebars and bend my elbows to improve my form and not put so much stress on my hands.

Since I got better gloves, added padded tape to my handlebars and improved my form, I haven't had any more problems.

2006-06-21 4:20 PM

Expert
Las Vegas
Wierd stuff, Now that you mention it, it is my left hand that goes numb (right handed). I try to keep both hands moving all the time, adjusting them here a little and there a little. I wonder if adding aero bars would aleviate this by providing another position for your body and hands?
2006-06-21 5:06 PM
in reply to: #462061

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

I DID notice a few times I lean forward and bent my elbows more the numbness decresed.

I'll try to pay attention more when I ride next time - probably Saturday morning since the Terminix folks aren't coming out.

2006-06-21 5:15 PM
in reply to: #462136

Elite
Laurium, MI

just curious, but have you had a proper fit on the bike?  When I first started riding, I had a similar issue.  On one group ride, one of the guys on the team who was a cat A racer and had been riding since he was 12, asked me if I was having trouble with numbness.  I had no clue how he knew, then he offered to make some tweaks to my fit.  Sure enough, after that and a few pointers on technique, the numbness was gone.

What was happening was that my fit was forcing me to support my upper body with my arms.  In reality, 90% of your body should be suppored by your abs and lower back.  Your hands are there to steer.  If you can't take one hand off the bars without shifting your weight, or changing position, then you are supporting too much with your arms.  Once I figured this trick out, riding with bent arms was naturally the most comfortable position.  I was also riding with more of my weight in the saddle, which assisted with spinning and all kinds of other balance related issues.

2006-06-21 5:57 PM
in reply to: #462142

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

Hi Matt,

I was fitted at the store when I bought my bike, however; somewhere in the ride I DID think I should go back again to double check.

I have noticed myself shifting my lower body around a good bit - especially yesterday. When I was busy pushing it up a hill, I would probably sit correctly, because I wouldn't have pressure on my arms &  hands.  I felt it while riding on flats, or downhill. Those are when I struggled to keep balance, especially when I wanted to grab my bottle for a quick drink.

Sigh - okay I'll go back to the store - hopefully we can have this taken care of, as I do like  riding.

(OT) - I just hooope I don't see the lady there who is a chatterbox - my goodness. She talked soo much, I felt like the old lady on the movie Airplane. When Ted Striker was telling his story, she started heaving, and by the time he was done, she was a skeleton. That is how that lady made me feel - I was seriously beginning to feel ill while she was talking.

2006-06-21 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

I 2nd vortmax's statement about to much weight on the wrists...I too used to get this numb feeling in my right hand as well.

Only other thing to get that numbness to go away besides wearing gloves was...somebody told me to hold he handle bars like you would hold a pistol...so a pistol grip.  What I was doing was cocking my wrists up and putting a lot of weight on the bas of my palm.  Rotate the wrists out a little (which will lower your posture and bend the arms) and grab it like your gonna shoot it.

2006-06-21 6:25 PM
in reply to: #462171

Elite
Laurium, MI

Once you're sure your fit is fine, try to ride with loose hands.  That is don't grip the bars tightly.  Just hold them enough to maintain control, but see if you can grip them so that bumps in the road allow the bars to vibrate in your hands and not actually vibrate your hands.  That lightness of grip is what you are after. 

2006-06-21 7:26 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
get off that hand!

Rest it

Get a bike fit

Strengthen your core muscles

I have repetitive strain injury in my hands, and I'm not sure if I can type at my desk much anymore.

Get physio if you need it... just don't hurt your wrists.
2006-06-21 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Also, see a chiropractor. If neck or upper back verterbrae are out of alignment, prolonged time in that position will exacerbate any impinged nerves. My chiro can fix just about any numbness problem, (with the exception of the hoo-ha numbness, of course with an adjustment. I used to have weird left leg numbness, preliminary fatigue, and with lowerback and pelvic adjustments it goes away...(ok, I admit that sounded weird. First I talk about my hoo-ha and then about pelvic adjustments...get your mind out of the gutter...or should I say get MY mind out of the gutter!)

2006-06-21 8:09 PM

Veteran
Ocean, New Jersey
Like everyone else, my hands go numb on long rides. I've found that the more I move my hands around the less they go numb. Shaking them out occasionally helps a lot as well, as do a good pair of gel gloves.
2006-06-21 8:34 PM
in reply to: #462263

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA

My hands went numb last year a lot.  I was worried.  Then I got some advice from a more experienced rider, hi said I should not be putting a lot of pressure down on the bars as that takes extra energy and causes some numbness.  I also got properly fit since then as well. 

Your hands on the bike handlebars should be mostly for balance and steering you should be able to move your fingers easily as there should not be some much weight bearing down from your upper body.

My $.02 

2006-06-21 8:39 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Just to add to the chorus...

proper fit

strong core - you can't maintain good riding form for an extended time without it

padded gloves

2006-06-21 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO

My hands go numb for the first few rides after I've been away from my bike for a long time.  I've discovered that is related to the way I hold my handlebars, because on the bike I'm holding my hands in a position that is not at all normal.  This is especially true if I'm riding my mountain bike (which I usually am) because I hold my hand open enough to wrap my thumbs around the brake levers.  When I notice the numbness setting in, it helps to release the thumbs and just rest my hands on top of the handles.

2006-06-21 10:44 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Very very common especially with new cyclists. You probably notice it on longer rides because a.) the longer you ride the more tired you get and the more your form suffers
b.) if you stay in a single position for a longer period of time you will be putting stress on that area.

Make sure you have good gloves (assuming you probably do). Move your hands from the top of your bars to your drops. If you have aero bars use them. Keeping your elbows bent and relaxed and your hands relaxed will help the numbing. You will probably notice that the more time you spend on your bike the less you will feel numbing.

Good luck.

2006-06-21 10:52 PM
in reply to: #462304

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

Strong core - so....what strengthening exercises do I need to do?

2006-06-21 11:02 PM
in reply to: #462400

Elite
Laurium, MI

well... there are a bunch of them.  I took pilates for a while, which built up my core and improved my flexibility and balance.

also check out this link:

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles.php

in the right column are links to about 5 pages worth of core workouts.

2006-06-22 7:07 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Just a long shot but check your watch take it off and see what happens.
2006-06-22 7:19 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Ok, it's not like I'm riding centuries or anything, but I've done a number of 40 mile rides this spring, still consider myself very much a beginner and I've never had numb hands.  I can only imagine this is because I spend about 90% of the rides in aero position.  I love the aero positions, I'm so comfortable in it I think I could nap like that (with a floor stand, of course).

I guess it depends on what type of riding you are likely to do.  My point is that if you are like me and pretty much all the riding you will be doing will be geared toward tri training and racing this may not be as big of an issue as you think. 

Note:  I am NOT trying to say you don't need to be properly fit to your bike or you should ignore the pain.  I'm just saying you may go through all of this only to slap on aerobars and need to be refit and go through a whole new process of building up the proper muscles to ride in aero.  The core strengthening will help with both positions.  Just don't let this frustrate you or make biking become a burden.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numb Hand During Bike Ride Rss Feed  

of 2