General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations for orthotics/running assistance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-30 12:12 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: Recommendations for orthotics/running assistance?

I'm historically not much of a runner.  In the last few years since I started doing triathlons I have obviously had to incorporate a lot of running into my training, and I have slowly built up a little bit.  Just over 2 years ago, I saw a podiatrist in the West Bloomfield area, and learned that I have hypermobility in my ankles.  I was fitted with custom orthotics, and that has definitely helped me some.  I still believe I am fighting plantar fascitis as well.  Obviously I am not well educated on how the two may be related.

I recently completed the Detroit International 13.1, but fell apart on the last few miles as the pain was making every step tough to take.  I originally thought this was due to PF, but maybe it has something to do with my hypermobility.  Either way, I would really like to be able to progress past this, so I can think about doing more "long" races in the future and finish without that kind of pain.

Does anyone have specific recommendations on who I should see?  I would like to find someone within 30 minutes of either the Novi area or 30 minutes of the Grand Rapids area (I spend time in both regularly).  I have found information for a RunFast clinic at Henry Ford Hospital.  Any experience, good or bad, there?

Thanks in advance!

2012-10-30 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4475169

Macomb Township MI
Subject: RE: Recommendations for orthotics/running assistance?
2012-10-30 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4475182

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
ParadigmPerformance - 2012-10-30 1:17 PM

http://runguru.com/

Thanks for the quick response.  I'll check it out!

2012-10-30 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Have you considered a physical therapist or are you strictly looking for a podiatrist?  I ask because I have a few physical therapy contacts (and a chiropractic contact if you're interested in going in that direction).  

I personally have found that when it comes to injuries, PT's will not just treat the symptom but rather will try to determine what is actually causing the issue.  If there is a breakdown anywhere in your kinetic chain, your whole body will be affected.  For example, I'm currently correcting knee tracking issues through physical therapy focusing on my hips.  My chiropractor has also treated some of my issues similarly, by getting to the route of the issue which is often not what I thought it was!

2012-10-30 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4475247

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
noelle1230 - 2012-10-30 1:48 PM

Have you considered a physical therapist or are you strictly looking for a podiatrist?  I ask because I have a few physical therapy contacts (and a chiropractic contact if you're interested in going in that direction).  

I personally have found that when it comes to injuries, PT's will not just treat the symptom but rather will try to determine what is actually causing the issue.  If there is a breakdown anywhere in your kinetic chain, your whole body will be affected.  For example, I'm currently correcting knee tracking issues through physical therapy focusing on my hips.  My chiropractor has also treated some of my issues similarly, by getting to the route of the issue which is often not what I thought it was!

I am completely open to physical therapy, or anything that will help me get through this so I can train longer distances without spending 2-3 days barely being able to walk.  I would definitely like someone who can help with custom orthotics, though, in case it is determined that my current pair are no longer the optimal solution for my feet.

Not going to rule anything out!

2012-10-30 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Unfortunately my podiatrist (a family friend) is in the Cleveland area.  

I can recommend a therapist named Karen Slota who deals with imbalances, often with emphasis on the feet.  Here's her website:

http://www.softtissuesolutions.com/

I may have another one for you, a therapist I use currently through Lifetime Fitness.  I want to see if you have to be a member of the gym though.  She does MAT or muscle activation therapy.  There are only 6 people in Michigan who are certified.  MAT deals with correcting the imbalances that occur because certain muscles are not firing properly.

Edited by noelle1230 2012-10-30 2:04 PM

2012-10-30 2:46 PM

http://www.runningfit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=47

They have a store in Novi and I trust that organization more than any other in the State of Michigan when it comes to running.
2012-10-30 4:55 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

This guy is magic: 

Dr. James L. Moeller, MD

3121 University Drive #140
Auburn Hills, MI 48326, United States
(248) 373-7286

He helped me rehab some knee issues, made orthotics for my son which work perfectly, and just generally knows sports / gait / muscles. I might have given up tri if it wasn't for him. Highest regard. And if he can't solve it, he will know who can. He's that kind of doc. 

2012-10-31 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4475432

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
noelle1230 - 2012-10-30 3:02 PM

I can recommend a therapist named Karen Slota who deals with imbalances, often with emphasis on the feet.  Here's her website:

I may have another one for you, a therapist I use currently through Lifetime Fitness.  I want to see if you have to be a member of the gym though.  She does MAT or muscle activation therapy.  There are only 6 people in Michigan who are certified.  MAT deals with correcting the imbalances that occur because certain muscles are not firing properly.

I actually see Dr Slota on occasion already. I've talked to her about it briefly in the past, but she isn't really specialized for this. Now that you say it, I do remember that she said she might have someone to recommend for me.

FYI - I work out at Lifetime Commerce (when I can stand it).

2012-10-31 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4475779

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
rkreuser - 2012-10-30 5:55 PM

This guy is magic: 

Dr. James L. Moeller, MD

3121 University Drive #140
Auburn Hills, MI 48326, United States
(248) 373-7286

He helped me rehab some knee issues, made orthotics for my son which work perfectly, and just generally knows sports / gait / muscles. I might have given up tri if it wasn't for him. Highest regard. And if he can't solve it, he will know who can. He's that kind of doc. 

Thanks Rick, that's a string recommendation. I'll look into him!
2012-10-31 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4476311

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
leedyb - 2012-10-31 8:03 AM
noelle1230 - 2012-10-30 3:02 PM

I actually see Dr Slota on occasion already. I've talked to her about it briefly in the past, but she isn't really specialized for this. Now that you say it, I do remember that she said she might have someone to recommend for me.

FYI - I work out at Lifetime Commerce (when I can stand it).

Wow, great because that's where she works!  Her name is Angela and you can reach her by calling the main number and asking for her or for the PT desk.  If you don't have any luck there, I can also PM you her cell.  Let her know Amy sent you, I already mentioned it to her last night.

She's been working on my for about a month now regarding a shoulder and both knees.  It is amazing....you get off the table and the pain is gone.  Like chiropractic though, the changes need to be reinforced for the corrections to remain.

2012-11-04 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids

I copied this from a different post.  Right in your backyard.  I was having trouble this summer and he was awesome.  Actually returned and had him re-fit me for my tri bike.  Cannot recommend highly enough.

Has to be Adriano Rosa from Bio-correct in grand rapids. He is not a bike shop, he s a pedorthist and makes custom shoe orthotics for pro level athletes. He is also a multiple ironman and understands the body mechanics of a good fit, fixing numerous problems for me, efficiently.Couldn't be happier. Considerably less cost than the other guys, more enjoyable experience, I've done both and feel qualified to opine on the topic.

2012-11-04 5:38 PM

Regular

Check out BioCorrect in GR - http://www.biocorrect.com/.

Personally, I don't have any experience with them but I have both family members and teammates who have gone there and had great luck. They'll take good care of you!

Good luck!

2012-11-05 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Based off of recommendations I have gotten here and through some personal friends, I'm going to look into Adriano at BioCorrect.  I am also going to talk to a specific trainer at LifeTime Fitness to see if she can help me at all.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I will report back in and let you know any progress.  Something has to improve!!

2012-11-11 5:02 AM

Hey,

I suggest a different orthotics. I used to suffer from pain also while using custom made orthotics. then I saw a orthotist who gave me special orthotics, also custom made but much better.

Manufacture by Tamir Kfir. they are very good.

Tim

2012-11-28 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4482961

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
WOT - 2012-11-04 5:01 PM

I copied this from a different post.  Right in your backyard.  I was having trouble this summer and he was awesome.  Actually returned and had him re-fit me for my tri bike.  Cannot recommend highly enough.

Has to be Adriano Rosa from Bio-correct in grand rapids. He is not a bike shop, he s a pedorthist and makes custom shoe orthotics for pro level athletes. He is also a multiple ironman and understands the body mechanics of a good fit, fixing numerous problems for me, efficiently.Couldn't be happier. Considerably less cost than the other guys, more enjoyable experience, I've done both and feel qualified to opine on the topic.

X100  AD has produced my full custom orthotics and tweaked them over the years for next to nothing....He's done my wife's and son's full orthotics and each of us have experienced dramatic improvement...

Good to read multiple recommendations for him on this post.  I was going to bring him up too if he wasn't already listed..

On a side  note, in addition to his vast tri background, his wife Kattie is a professional triathlete and coach.  IOW triathlon is in their blood!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations for orthotics/running assistance? Rss Feed