General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any help for a beginner please? :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-30 9:07 PM

Subject: Any help for a beginner please? :)

hi, so im kind of new to this forum, as well as the sport of triathlon. Let me tell you a bit about myself. My name is Jake, im 14 years old and a high schools student. I am an avid cyclist and i absolutely love the sport. But, i want to get more into it. I want to begin training for the wildflower triathlon. I have not yet decided which one i want to do, my goal is the long course because i feel like i have plenty of time to train for it (its on May 14, 2013). I know that its not easy, and i know that it requires alot of dedication and hard work. But, i know i have it. But the problem is, that im not really in the best shape. I used to be 5'7 and 223, now im 5'8 and 200. I'm losing weight because of cycling, but i want to lose weight while training. 

So long story short, i was wondering if you guys here had any advice for me. Maybe on training, staying motivated, where to start...because, i am actually rather clueless on where to start. any help would be great! thanks....

2012-10-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4476029

User image

Washington, DC
Subject: RE: Any help for a beginner please? :)

Run frequently, but not too much at a time.  If something hurts, don't be an idiot.  

You can swim a lot and you almost certainly wont get hurt.  For most people there's a lot of time to be gained in the water.  You can also go pretty hard in the vast majority of your workouts without worrying about breaking down.

Cycling is fun.  Do it a lot.  Usually hard, sometimes longer.  

Above all, if you're tired or hurt, its okay to take a break.  Especially in the off-season.  A couple of days or even a couple of weeks of rest is nothing compared to what you lose through burnout or injury.  The human body is pretty amazing.  Listen to it and you'll be okay.  

Work hard and have fun.  Everything else will fall into place.

2012-10-30 9:47 PM

Try one of the free training programs avaiable on here. You may wanna start want to start with one that says couch too whatever distance your trying achieve right off the bet. You maybe able to cycle more then those programs recommend since you say you already ride a lot. Remember what the guy before me said if it hurts stop. Your goals are achieveable but put aplan of attack in place and good luck. Some races have age limits of entrants though so check into that.
2012-10-31 12:09 AM

User image

Veteran
join your local tri club....mines a blast and I`ve learned alot
2012-10-31 9:20 AM

Hi Jake.  May I suggest some reading?  Joel Friel's Beginner's Triathlete Bible.  That should give you some good information on the how to's of training.  As to the long course, I would do some research.  I believe the general consensus for your age is to stick to the shorter distances.  I remember reading somewhere that even amongst the top youth athletes, many of them do not compete in an olympic distance until they are in college.

Good luck and have fun, I wish I got into this when I was young.

2012-10-31 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4476522

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

Hi Jake--There r lots of good people here to help you. 

Be careful, don't get hurt, have a good time enjoying our sport and good luck sir.

Edited by spearit 2012-10-31 9:36 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any help for a beginner please? :) Rss Feed