General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder City, Nevada
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 11s
Overall Rank = 58/334
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/24
Pre-race routine:

Rode the bike downhill about a mile from the hotel to the Transition. Set up T1, walked around a bit, etc..
Event warmup:

Walking around, at the last minute decided to bring flip flops to the water exit due to some really rough chipseal in the transition area that had just been paved.
Swim
  • 30m 58s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. Very crowded at the start due to a curious buoy placement system. Opened up after the second buoy and had a good swim leg.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Had a bit of trouble getting feet into shoes and going on the bike due to the uphill out of T1. Was able to stay focused and got it figured out though.

T1 was a bit slower than usual due to it being long and narrow, and having to stow all my gear for it to be transported to T2/Finish. I also took a second to find my bike. The labling in the transition areas wes a bit confusing for some reason.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 4s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a good bike, not sure what I could have done better. Maybe tweak my nutrition a little to stave off the fade on the run?
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Couldn't find my shoes for a bit in T2. Turns out I was looking at the racks on the wrong side of the transition area. Oops.
Run
  • 48m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall I feel like I had a solid day. 2:49:00 is a good time for the pumpkinman course. I could have saved some time in transitions if I had a better bead on where my stuff was, but that kind of thing happens.

I would have been happier with a podium, but despite being 5th in AG, I was 11 minutes off of the 3rd place time, so I don't think improved race execution would have helped me get there. Maybe next year.

Event comments:

Pumpkinman is a great way to cap off a year of racing. This year they seemed a bit light on volunteers in a couple spots, but it was still a great race.

Last updated: 2012-10-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:58 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/24
Overall: 0/334
Performance: Good
Suit: FULL
Course: Complicated.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:25:04 | 24.8 miles | 17.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/24
Tough bike. Tried to save as much as possible for the run, but with 7 miles of serious climbing toward the end, there wasn't much of an option. Some wind on the bike course, lots of chipseal, rolling hills. Long tough day on the bike.
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:30 | 06.21 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/24
Performance:
I faded quite a bit the last half of the run, although unlike Kokopelli, so did everyone else, so I wasn't too wound up about it. I think it was the effect of the rolling hills on the run, the increasing heat and the difficulty of the bike course. Overall I'm not dissapointed with the run despite 48 minutes being 3 minutes off my best pace. I also took a risk and wore some newer shoes I've only had the chance to run in once prior. I didn't have the elastic laces dialed in quite right yet and the right foot was a bit tight. They still were better than the godawful Zoot OVWAs I had been wearing, so I think it was the right call.
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-31 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed