General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman or full marathon - which is harder? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Half Ironman or full marathon - which is harder?
OptionResults
Half Ironman14 Votes - [16.09%]
Full marathon73 Votes - [83.91%]

2012-10-31 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4477785

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Half Ironman or full marathon - which is harder?
Left Brain - 2012-10-31 8:17 PM

I was surprised at how easy the HIM was.....and I was surprised, 6 weeks later, at how hard the marathon was.  I was never sore after the HIM and was hitting it again in 2 days.  Like someone else said, I couldn't walk down stairs for 4 days after the marathon.  Maybe the marathon was harder because it was just 6 weeks after the HIM.....who knows?  Both are fun.

Well stated - Couldn't agree more!

2012-10-31 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4477503

User image

Extreme Veteran
Since a 90k bike is a drop in the bucket for me, and a swim isn't too bad, I'd say the marathon is harder for me, but it all depends on a persons strengths, weaknesses, and the course.
2012-10-31 8:45 PM

User image

Master

After 10 or 11 marathons and 5 or 6 HIMs (and 3 IMs), I still find the Marathon harder on the body. However, I think the HIM is a more complex tactical task, and I usually train more hours total for a HIM than I did when I was doing stand alone Marathon training.

Of course, it really depends on how well trained you are. That being said, I have half-assed a few 5+ even 6 hour marathons on little training. It hurt, but I was going very slow, almost too slow to really hurt yourself. 

I did a couple of HIMs that I wasn't well trained for this year. 5:45-5:53 of suffering!

2012-10-31 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I'm about to run my third marathon and am terrified of doing anything longer than a sprint, so this is oddly reassuring to me. =)
2012-10-31 9:15 PM

User image

Elite
hIM more difficult to train for with logistics of s/b/r, and marathon you just need to throw your shoes on and run out the door, but the marathon race day is tougher.
2012-10-31 9:21 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

I'm mostly echoing what has been said before, but I've got to agree: the marathon is harder. I find the training for a HIM more demanding time-wise than marathon training, but the races are quite different, especially in terms of recovery. And running is definitely my strength.

6 weeks ago I did a HIM that's billed as America's toughest, which took me around 6 hours, reflecting the severity of the course. I felt weary but not particularly stiff afterwards, was running again the next day, and 3 days later felt great on a 10-mile training run. 3 days ago I did a largely flat marathon, which took only half the time of the HIM. The next day it hurt to walk, and 3 days after the race my proudest achievement was to walk down the stairs relatively normally without holding onto the side. 

As another poster pointed out, weather often plays a bigger role in HIMs than in marathons, since tris are mostly in warmer months. That adds an opportunity for suffering that most marathons try to avoid.

2012-10-31 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4477832

User image

Expert

Miles around Midtown - 2012-10-31 10:10 PM I'm about to run my third marathon and am terrified of doing anything longer than a sprint, so this is oddly reassuring to me. =)

That's how I feel.. cept the other way around. I wish I didn't have feet problems, but I do.

My fear with doing a marathon is not being able to walk after mile 20..

I know I can somehow get through 13 miles of an HIM run though...

2012-10-31 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4477832

User image

Pro

Miles around Midtown - 2012-10-31 9:10 PM I'm about to run my third marathon and am terrified of doing anything longer than a sprint, so this is oddly reassuring to me. =)

No doubt....get an OLY under your belt....you  have NOTHING to be afraid of.

2012-11-01 12:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Three HIMs, two marathons, and for me, the HIM is harder, at least on race day. Maybe because I played it safe in the marys and pushed harder in the halfs, but the HIMs ended in a death march, whereas I felt strong at the end of the marathons. Recovery, however, is a whole different story. As others have said, back to normal within a week for a HIM, but more like a month after a marathon.
2012-11-01 1:21 AM
in reply to: #4477990

User image

Extreme Veteran
If we mean simply the impact and recovery involved, then of course the marathon is harder on you, though when talking about the difficulty of a race, I'm worried about more than "how much impact" there is.

Assuming a flat course and someone equally adept at all 3 disciplines, then the marathon should be more difficult, because of the impact imo though.

Someone whose strength is the run, it might not be the case.
2012-11-01 2:39 AM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Danish female marathon runner is attempting to do 366 marathons in 365 days. I'll get the link when not on my phone. Pretty crazy stuff. She's around 120 in if I remember correctly

2012-11-01 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Personally I think the training for the HIM is harder bc it involves work in three sports and that can often be difficult to orchestrate.  IMO training for a marathon is much easier (ie roll out of bed, out the front door and run).  However, when it comes to the actual event, I feel the marathon is tougher because, well, it's 26.2 miles of running.  That is a lot of stress on the body and the recovery is always a lot tougher from that than an HIM.
2012-11-01 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4478122

sbsmann - 2012-11-01 7:49 AM Personally I think the training for the HIM is harder bc it involves work in three sports and that can often be difficult to orchestrate.  IMO training for a marathon is much easier (ie roll out of bed, out the front door and run).  However, when it comes to the actual event, I feel the marathon is tougher because, well, it's 26.2 miles of running.  That is a lot of stress on the body and the recovery is always a lot tougher from that than an HIM.

Logistically, yes, anything with swim in it is more challenging to fit in. (Bike too.)

But if you're doing it right, at similar intensity/volume comparable for HIM vs marathon, the marathon will be much harder physically. You're constantly pushing the boundary of your leg ligaments and muscles through the volume alone, and it's very easy to get injured. At the same time, if you're doing it right, you're running enough to cover the distance well, which usually means training on fatigued legs more often than not. The HIM training yes can be fatiguing, but it's a varied stress, whereas the marathon training is a real leg beatdown. 

For the folks who say the marathon's easier because they do the same run volume as they do for their HIM training - that's not a fair comparison. Your run volume will likely be over double what your HIM volume is if you're doing comparable volume for the marathon.

2012-11-01 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

As a new Triathlete whose only done several sprints and one Oly, BUT I have done several Half Marathons- I can extrapolate my answer to the OP's question like this- I hurt worse and longer after any of my HMs than I did for any of these shorter Tris I did. I am gearing up for Disney Marathon in Jan, which would be my first, and I'm simply praying (and training appropriately) to MAKE IT START line uninjured. Based on my HMs of sub 2 hours (one was sub 1:50), I hope to have a decent race, but i know i'm going to pay for that for a week or so after.

After my Oly, I went home, mowed the lawn and had to spend a day at a water park later! I don't plan on "doing" Disney after that race.

2012-11-01 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4478230

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

But this is one reason why I, like many others, actually ENJOY Tris better- I had an older age grouper tell me in my first Tri over a year ago, that he used to be a big runner, but running got to be "to hard on his body". The triathlon "spread" helped him with that and he loves it. I do not believe  I will enjoy the training or the actual race in the marathon as much as I do the training and race of Tris. Plus, in Tris, we have all the cool "toys" and gadgets, bikes/ computers/watches/gear etc.!

2012-11-01 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Definitely marathon.  Its a different kind of physical pain, different kind of mental strain.  In both training and race itself.  And in recovery.

2012-11-01 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4477561

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
reecealan - 2012-10-31 5:33 PM

This question is usually asked at least once a year here on BT (so if you're curious you can use the search function to see previous answers/opinions).  I think for a very strong runner, who struggles with the bike and/or swim, the Half Iron might be more difficult.  I consider myself farily balanced in each of the 3 disciplines and it's a tough call.  I've run one Marathon, done two HIMs and will run my 2nd marathon in about 2.5 weeks.  I felt better the last 6 miles of my last HIM run than I did in my only marathon so based on that I say the marathon is harder.  But that also depends on pace, bike fitness etc.  So I guess I'll know a little more in 2.5 weeks.

That's me.  Training-wise, no problem doing the long runs for 2-3 hours, but ask me to do a 50 mile ride/8 mile run brick?  Now THAT is the hardest training I've ever done having only competed up to HIM distance.

Completing a marathon, yes, my legs hurt.  But completing the HIM, I felt like I barely crawled over that finish line.  A 56 mile ride/13 mile run felt harder on my legs than a 26 mile run.

2012-11-01 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4477990

User image

Wow.  Amazing how different the experience can be among athletes.  I am completely the opposite.  I have done 11 marathons and one 70.3.  I think the marathon is physically harder but I find it way easier to race than a 70.3.  In a marathon I don't have to trasition and I don't have to change mindset, I just stick to a very simple plan and gut it out.  I get more out of my race effort in a marathon.

The 70.3 was so much more complex that mentally it was harder for me to make strategic moves that allowed me to translate effort into speed.  I recovered very quickly from a 70.3 but I found it way harder to perform well at a 70.3 when compared to a marathon.  This may be mostly my inexperience with the 70.3 but it has been my experience thus far.

2012-11-01 11:59 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
I'm a bad runner, but I think the HIM is harder. Having said that I did 2x HIM and DNF'd my only marathon attempt at mile 22 because of injury.
2012-11-01 12:34 PM

Probably the fairest thing is to consider it from the perspective from those who are about equally  experienced with both HIMs and standalone marathons.

It's obviously going to be the case that a great marathoner who can't swim or bike to save his/her life is going to find a HIM much harder, and similarly, someone who has done a bunch of sprint/oly and some HIMs but no standalone marathon races is going to find the marathon harder.

2017-07-03 1:58 PM
in reply to: Guest

I've done both now.

I think it largely depends on the course for one thing in terms of "exertion"

But it's simplistic to say which one is tougher and leave it at that.

The Marathon is brutally hard on your body during the race. The Ironman 70.3 is not as bludgeoning, but you burn more calories (burned 4500 calories at the Chicago Marathon and 5600 Calories at IM 70.3 CDA)

Half Ironman:

• Training for a Half Ironman is way more time consuming and demanding.
  • It's far more expensive.
  • A Half Ironman is tactically more difficult. So it's harder to execute a race plan successfully.
  • You need to be a strong swimmer. It's not enough to just be able to survive the swim as you'll be in open water with other people who will be kicking, slapping and swimming over you (potentially). Not to mention, you could be swimming in choppy water. You need to be confident that you can traverse the course under those conditions.
  • You have mechanical dependencies. (Minimally, you need to be able to change a bicycle tire)
  • The course difficulty can be the difference between a PR and a DNF - *this could also be true for a Marathon but I think the extremes are not as polarized unless you're running a trail race. But I'm assuming we're talking about a road race.
  • You're usually on the run in the middle of the day as oppose to the early morning like the Marathon.. so you get cooked if it's hot outside.. no matter how fast you are...unless you're like.. really REALLY fast!
  • You are not allowed to run with any distractions (music, pacers, etc) - I've seen people out there with headphones regardless, but it's technically breaking the rules.
  • Statistically, you have a 2% chance of dying in a triathlon, whereas you have a 1% chance of dying during a Marathon (take that for what it's worth).
  • You need to suck at 3 sports instead of sucking at 1 sport... :p

Marathon:

• It's all running, very high impact, and you feel it in the late stages of the race
  • You are holding a high exertion rate anywhere from 2:30 to 6:30 hours straight, opposed to a Half Ironman where you can take small breaks during the bike and transitions. So, you might have less room for error when it comes to nutrition, but not much less.
  • Since training includes more high impact running and less zero impact or low impact activities, you're probably more susceptible to injuries. Although, I don't know what the stats are on that.

That's about all I've got.. I've gotta give it to the Half Ironman on paper.. but being totally honest, I thought I was gonna die at the end of the Marathon.. Dunno, it's a tough call.

They're both tough. You get lifetime bragging rights for completing either one.

• 2017-07-03 2:41 PM
    in reply to: natethomas2000

User image

Expert
    Pfafftown, NC
    Originally posted by natethomas2000

I'd argue that a marathon is harder than an IM. I just hurt more in the last few miles of an open marathon than in a HIM or IM. A HIM or IM is all about pacing properly.

Never run a marathon or an IM, but I'd imagine it to be like you say it is. My last 4 tris have been HIM's and my next will be IM Louisville.

But heck.....I'm one who would rather run a HIM than a sprint (the HIM hurts less). So, there's that......

2017-07-03 4:06 PM

Full marathon is wayyy physically harder on your body than the HIM. The full marathon will hobble you every time if you race it (not just easy-finish it without going all-out.)  

HIM is logistically tougher to train for given the SBR, but you can still kind of fake your way through the training, meaning that you can miss a fair number of long workouts and still do fine since the distances aren't so long for each.

For the full marathon, if you're not getting that weekly mileage and the long runs, I don't care how talented or natural you are at running - you're gonna take a beatdown on race day by mile 20-22. You can't fake your way through racing a marathon. 

To further prove this point, note that there are numerous high level pro triathletes who run sub 3hrs for the run portion of an IM. These guys and girls will readily throw down a 70.3 at the world-championship level even in the 8 weeks leading up to Kona, meaning they expect to be fully recovered from that effort by Kona. NONE of these athletes will race standalone marathons at any point in the year all-out - in fact, almost they won't even ENTER these standalone marathons, even for fun. The lone exception to this was Gwen Jorgeson, whose strength is running, and it was so unique that there were all sorts of speculations about her potential race day performance since so few top triathletes do this. (She ran really well.)  

26.2 raced hard is a real beatdown, even for pros. 70.3 isn't the same type of beatdown, and allows for faster recovery.

2017-07-03 6:32 PM
    in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    I have done 8 HIM races and 6 marathons (2 at Boston). To really race a marathon is a challenge, a difficulty beyond words, as those who have tried and failed to properly execute, know and lament. To really race a HIM is also challenging, and being on the course is much longer in terms of time. Nutrition plays into both and weather is huge-a hot marathon is unforgiving and one must change goal pace. You can modify your pace less for a hot HIM, but it still also much be changed.

Recovery is MUCH harder after a well raced marathon as running is so much harder on your body and you can recover much more quickly from cycling, even from longer periods of time. The HIM only takes ~2/3 of the time of running the M, with the adjusted pace for the other disciplines.

Which is harder? A very individual question which is directly related to the effort put forth for the race. Optimal pacing for both to really race will put you in a lot of hurt for weeks.

I think the marathon is slightly worse for me too, but that is because running has always beaten down my body and a HM during the HIM just destroys me much less, even with serious cycling for 2 1/2-3 hours during the HIM, than running for 3-3 1/2 hours.

Marathon PB- ~3:15
    HIM PB- ~5:30 (1:55 run)
    2017-07-05 7:12 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
    It all depends on how hard you go. Going all out on a 5k is significantly harder than plodding through a half marathon and looking at the scenery. An oly can be more difficult than a half ironman. It all depends. My one and only full marathon was back when I was just starting to get into working out and I just jogged through the whole thing, finished in around 3:50 or something and felt perfectly fine the next day. I'm doing Ohio 70.3 next month and full well expect not to be able to move for a week.

So if the goal here is to say, "I've done a marathon, so I can say I did something harder than people doing a half ironman." The answer is, yes and no. Depending on you effort level on the marathon, and who you are comparing that effort to.

Now, all things equal; the same person, doing each event at the same effort level; then the marathon would be harder on your body due to the nature of running.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman or full marathon - which is harder? Rss Feed  

of 2