Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I voted to keep our county dry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-11-01 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4478505

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: I voted to keep our county dry!
Goosedog - 2012-11-01 10:35 AM
jford2309 - 2012-11-01 11:29 AM

Two posts ago you asked about MY political philosophy on things, now you say this has nothing to do with me personally?  which is it? 

So less Govt, are we talking about local Govt, State Govt or Federal Govt?

If you fancy yourself a more personal freedom/less government type, then, yes, I think your vote in this instance is laughable.  Fed, state or local government - heck make it as local as a homeowners' association if you want.

I glad you think my views are laughable. Again, as a non drinker that lived in a dry county already as the OP stated, then yes, I would vote to keep it dry.

2012-11-01 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4478515

User image

NC
jford2309 - 2012-11-01 11:40 AM

I glad you think my views are laughable. Again, as a non drinker that lived in a dry county already as the OP stated, then yes, I would vote to keep it dry.

I bet a lot of non-cyclists that fancy themselves more personal freedom/less government types would vote in favor of a law banning bikes from the roads.  It certainly would cut down on the cycling fatalities.

Edited by Goosedog 2012-11-01 10:44 AM
2012-11-01 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4478524

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Goosedog - 2012-11-01 10:44 AM
jford2309 - 2012-11-01 11:40 AM

I bet a lot of non-cyclists that fancy themselves more personal freedom/less government types would vote in favor of a law banning bikes from the roads.  It certainly would cut down on the cycling fatalities.

and they have that right to think that, and if they can get the majority votes to pass such a law, then fancy away!

2012-11-01 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4478428

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I'm conflicted about legalizing weed.

I am in construction.  I would not want someone burning one down on the way to work and then hop on heavy equipment.  Slowed motor skills would most likely get someone hurt or property damaged.

Likewise, showing up to a job in manufacturing while stoned does not sound like a good idea.

I'm for reduced government and this is where I get conflicted.  The cost is now absorbed by business as far as enforcement goes.  Many already have random drug testing but it usually only occurs at initial hire and after an incident.  Now there will be a regular (albeit randomly scheduled) testign program.

And now my insurance company gets involved as I am sure they will want to mitigate as much risk as possible.

2012-11-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4477835

User image

Champion
SoCal

How can you vote to keep a county in a drought I don't get it.

2012-11-01 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4478551

User image

NC
Hugh in TX - 2012-11-01 11:51 AM

I am in construction.  I would not want someone burning one down on the way to work and then hop on heavy equipment.  Slowed motor skills would most likely get someone hurt or property damaged.

Likewise, showing up to a job in manufacturing while stoned does not sound like a good idea.

Do you think this would happen more if weed were legalized?  These same things occur with legal alcohol and legal prescription drugs.

2012-11-01 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4478553

User image

NC
Big Appa - 2012-11-01 11:52 AM

You mean draught.

2012-11-01 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4478558

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Goosedog - 2012-11-01 10:55 AM

Do you think this would happen more if weed were legalized?  These same things occur with legal alcohol and legal prescription drugs.

and what about after eating a greasy bag of chips, their hands could slide on the wheel causing major damage

2012-11-01 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4477859

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
famelec - 2012-10-31 10:29 PM

So I actually voted "Weed-Yes, Booze-No"!

Given the choice I'd do the same. Alcohol is more destructive than marijuana.

2012-11-01 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4478568

User image

NC
jford2309 - 2012-11-01 11:57 AM
Goosedog - 2012-11-01 10:55 AM

and what about after eating a greasy bag of chips, their hands could slide on the wheel causing major damage

This is why we have big government OSHA.

2012-11-01 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4478428

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
powerman - 2012-11-01 11:06 AM

I'm not sure where I stand on weed.

Weed is not as easily metabolized as booze. One hit will show elevated levels of THC in your system for 30 days. Alpha Brain waves are also reduced for 30 days. Cocaine is undetectable 48 hours later, Extasy is gone in 8 hours. I only say that to show the slow metabolism of THC. So if you legalize it, we should assume more people will use it recreationally (than currently use it legally) and you'll see more people with reduced response (on the road, in the workplace, in front of you in Starbucks).

I agree with the tax benefit, but it does open more cans of worms. Cops will now have to test for alcohol and then make someone pee in a cup and what will be the allowable level? What if he smokes 2 bowls on monday and has reduced response on Friday? How will employers handle this? Power plants are very strict on no use of the stuff even in states where it's legal. I would think Construction, and military would remain hash-free.

I would vote for medicinal if it truly was for people with a medical need, but that gets abused like crazy. I'm just not sure where I stand with the wacky tabacky.

So what? It is currently illegal to drive under the influence of prescription drugs. You can't take 5 Vicodin and get behind the wheel. I can't go to work on muscle relaxers either.

There have only been tests to determine if you smoke weed because that was all that was needed. There are test to determine if you are high on weed currently. For some stupid reason a law was not passed here to set a legal limit to drive. It can easily be handled.

And why in the world would you assume more people will smoke weed if it is legalized. I think heroin should be legalized, and it isn't because I'm going to rush out and use it.

All i want to know is if we needed a Constitutional Amendment to prohibit the use of alcohol, and the subsequent repeal allowed it... where is the Constitutional amendment prohibiting drugs? The only reason is because Anglo Saxons love getting drunk, so it is OK. And it is perfectly Ok to beat your wife and kids, kill people with your car, and generally rape pillage and plunder under it's influence. But ya drugs... you really cross the line there.Undecided

If you legalize pot, more people will use it.  Maybe not more pot will be used, but more people will see the leaf in a storefront and stop in for a smoke.  I've had many friends who happened into hash bars when they were in Europe.  I don't have any data, but maybe we can start a poll thread. 

Alcohol is not an Anglo-Saxon thing.  Every society has fermented something (yak milk, Yew Berries, potatoes, agave, Grapes, wheat hops and Barley).  Every society has also smoked something (tobacco, Cannabis, peote).  But I think the line is drawn at Tobacco because it doesn't have hallucinogenic effects. 

I do think there needs to be a legal pot limit if pot is legalized.  The two go hand-in-hand because a stoner who hasn't smoked in 3 weeks will still be slow to respond to a red light.

By the way, have you seen Super High Me?  Hilarious movie.  And actually very interesting.

2012-11-01 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4478562

User image

Champion
SoCal
Goosedog - 2012-11-01 8:55 AM
Big Appa - 2012-11-01 11:52 AM

You mean draught.

Ya that too

2012-11-01 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4478589

User image

Pro
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 11:10 AM

Weed is not as easily metabolized as booze. One hit will show elevated levels of THC in your system for 30 days. Alpha Brain waves are also reduced for 30 days. Cocaine is undetectable 48 hours later, Extasy is gone in 8 hours. I only say that to show the slow metabolism of THC. So if you legalize it, we should assume more people will use it recreationally (than currently use it legally) and you'll see more people with reduced response (on the road, in the workplace, in front of you in Starbucks).

I agree with the tax benefit, but it does open more cans of worms. Cops will now have to test for alcohol and then make someone pee in a cup and what will be the allowable level? What if he smokes 2 bowls on monday and has reduced response on Friday? How will employers handle this? Power plants are very strict on no use of the stuff even in states where it's legal. I would think Construction, and military would remain hash-free.

I would vote for medicinal if it truly was for people with a medical need, but that gets abused like crazy. I'm just not sure where I stand with the wacky tabacky.

So what? It is currently illegal to drive under the influence of prescription drugs. You can't take 5 Vicodin and get behind the wheel. I can't go to work on muscle relaxers either.

There have only been tests to determine if you smoke weed because that was all that was needed. There are test to determine if you are high on weed currently. For some stupid reason a law was not passed here to set a legal limit to drive. It can easily be handled.

And why in the world would you assume more people will smoke weed if it is legalized. I think heroin should be legalized, and it isn't because I'm going to rush out and use it.

All i want to know is if we needed a Constitutional Amendment to prohibit the use of alcohol, and the subsequent repeal allowed it... where is the Constitutional amendment prohibiting drugs? The only reason is because Anglo Saxons love getting drunk, so it is OK. And it is perfectly Ok to beat your wife and kids, kill people with your car, and generally rape pillage and plunder under it's influence. But ya drugs... you really cross the line there.Undecided

If you legalize pot, more people will use it.  Maybe not more pot will be used, but more people will see the leaf in a storefront and stop in for a smoke.  I've had many friends who happened into hash bars when they were in Europe.  I don't have any data, but maybe we can start a poll thread. 

Alcohol is not an Anglo-Saxon thing.  Every society has fermented something (yak milk, Yew Berries, potatoes, agave, Grapes, wheat hops and Barley).  Every society has also smoked something (tobacco, Cannabis, peote).  But I think the line is drawn at Tobacco because it doesn't have hallucinogenic effects. 

I do think there needs to be a legal pot limit if pot is legalized.  The two go hand-in-hand because a stoner who hasn't smoked in 3 weeks will still be slow to respond to a red light.

By the way, have you seen Super High Me?  Hilarious movie.  And actually very interesting.

Do you have any data that backs up that statement?  I'd like to see it. I guess you'd first have to define "stoner" too, right?

Edited by Left Brain 2012-11-01 11:17 AM
2012-11-01 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4478603

User image

Left Brain - 2012-11-01 12:16 PM
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 11:10 AM

The two go hand-in-hand because a stoner who hasn't smoked in 3 weeks will still be slow to respond to a red light.

Do you have any data that backs up that statement?  I'd like to see it. I guess you'd first have to define "stoner" too, right?

Look at the bold/underline part. 

The guy stops smoking weed for 30 days and then smokes for 30 days.  His memory and motor function improved for the whole 30 days with his best tests on his last day.  (implying that he had reductions in reaction and performance up-until that 30 day mark).

It's not peer-reviewed, scientific data by any means, but it's something...

When he smokes though, it is some funny stuff.  He's a stand-up comic so he's lucky that being a stoner is funny because any other job and he'd get canned.

The wikipedia page tells it different with his verbal score on the SAT going up. But I recall his motor function going down and he had a hard time remembering his routine in the movie after about 2 weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_High_Me

Edited by GomesBolt 2012-11-01 11:26 AM
2012-11-01 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 12:10 PM

Marijuana does not have hallucinogenic effects.

It is virtually impossible to overdose on marijuana.

There may be some long term effects (and by this I mean years down the road) on heavy smokers in terms of short and long term memory but the impact is not huge.

Marijuana or the synthetic equivalent of THC is used as treatment in a number of different ailments, not just glaucoma.  It is an anti-emetic and has been shown to ease the symptoms and the weight loss due to treatment in both cancer patients and Aids patients.

I could keep going if you like.  Then again my Graduate research was in the anti-inflammatory effects of Delta9- Tetrahydrocanabinol.  Yes I had some very happy rats!

2012-11-01 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4478635

User image

Seattle
trinnas - 2012-11-01 11:30 AM
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 12:10 PM

There may be some long term effects (and by this I mean years down the road) on heavy smokers in terms of short and long term memory but the impact is not huge.

Marijuana or the synthetic equivalent of THC is used as treatment in a number of different ailments, not just glaucoma.  It is an anti-emetic and has been shown to ease the symptoms and the weight loss due to treatment in both cancer patients and Aids patients.

I could keep going if you like.  Then again my Graduate research was in the anti-inflammatory effects of Delta9- Tetrahydrocanabinol.  Yes I had some very happy rats!

So, is Pot simply a banned substance in competition because it's illegal? 

2012-11-01 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4478635

User image

trinnas - 2012-11-01 12:30 PM

Hallucinogenic is the wrong term then.  How about if you smoke a cigarette or pipe, you don't get the giggles or the munchies. I never said you could OD on Mary-Jane.  I agree that Alcohol is deadlier completely (my first drinking party, a girl had no pulse for 3 minutes).

And I never questioned truly medicinal marijuana. 

But everyone who's been to SoCal and Boulder will tell you that the "prescription" controls are BS and anyone can walk out with a couple brownies just by saying they have back pain.

And I know all about the long term effects since my parents went to UC in the 1970s...

2012-11-01 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I've not had any negative effects from my ...

Dude. I'm thirsty and hungry all at the same time but I realllly don't want to get up to get food or drink.

2012-11-01 11:56 AM

User image

Admittedly, everything I learned about marijuana, I learned from my time as a Company Commander in the Marine Corps and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKtGnyGuKM

Learned the drinking stuff first-hand.

2012-11-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4478691

User image

Pro
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 11:56 AM

Admittedly, everything I learned about marijuana, I learned from my time as a Company Commander in the Marine Corps and this:

Respectfully, from reading your posts here, I don't think you know anything about marijuana.

2012-11-01 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4478490

User image

Elite
the bear - 2012-11-01 9:32 AM
powerman - 2012-11-01 9:54 AM
the bear - 2012-11-01 6:00 AM

powerman - 2012-10-31 9:44 PM Ya, that is the hypocrisy of our drug policy... alcohol cost the U.S. more money a year than all the illegal drugs COMBINED. Yet booze is the only legal one.... because everyone is cool taking that drug relationally. You either criminalize all of them, or you legalize all of them.

Just curious if this includes the $40B spent annually in the "War on Drugs"?

Yes it does. When you account for time off work, medical costs, lost production at work, regulation, and criminal costs.... alcohol cost more than all illegal drugs combined. But Americans are cool with that. Even DUIs... they could be wiped out nearly overnight with say... 5 years mandatory prison... but too many people drive drunk... including legislatures, so it is OK.

I don't have a problem with alcohol, but DUIs are needless. And the only thing thw War on Drugs has done is militarize the police and funded criminal organizations.

I did find a source(NIDA) that supports your assertion but it's not a huge margin: $185B for alcohol versus $181B for illicit drugs in 2004. Topping both are the cost associated with tobacco use, at $193B.

Even marginally, nobody believes all the weed, meth, heroin, cocain, crack, ecstasy, LSD COMBINED is less than the cost of alcohol. The hipocracy is astounding.

Alcohol needed a Constitutional amendment to ban. The vast majority of crimes are committed under the influence of alcohol. Some other drugs too, and some for drugs, but the majority of crimes involve alcohol. The cost to society is HUGE. While DUI has been "cracked down" on, it is still permitted  pretty much.  A DUI is not a bar to much. Lot's aof violent crimes involve alcohol... assault, rape, date rap. But since so many people consume the drug alcohol recreationally, it's all good.

Get a cocaine possession charge and see what that does to your employment future. It is a felony is every state. A MJ SEED is a felony in Nevada. The prison system is flooded with possession and distribution crimes. It is not illegal to be high, just to posses regulated substances. (Nice end around). Maximum security prisons can't keep drugs out of the most secure facilities in the country. Yet politicians want to be tough on crime so here we are.

2012-11-01 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan

I've lived in the bible belt of Michigan for the last 12 years or so.  Only within the last few years have we been able to buy alcohol on sunday in the county, and a couple towns were completely dry.  I have noticed ZERO difference in the before & after.  Now pizza places in town can serve beer with their food, so they've seen a boost.  We had a lot of the local holy rollers predicting a blood bath in the streets from drunk drivers and domestic assaults.  None of that has come to fruition.  

Can you give a solid reason why you wouldn't support the lifting of the ban?

2012-11-01 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4478716

User image

Left Brain - 2012-11-01 1:08 PM
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 11:56 AM

Respectfully, from reading your posts here, I don't think you know anything about marijuana.

I take that as a compliment, thanks...

Truthfully though, I'm not opposed to legal hash.  But I would want it controlled pretty tight and I would want my taxes to go down if it is legalized. That's the argument in-favor of legalization right?  That it'll be taxable?

2012-11-01 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4478662

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 12:39 PM
trinnas - 2012-11-01 12:30 PM

Hallucinogenic is the wrong term then.  How about if you smoke a cigarette or pipe, you don't get the giggles or the munchies. I never said you could OD on Mary-Jane.  I agree that Alcohol is deadlier completely (my first drinking party, a girl had no pulse for 3 minutes).

And I never questioned truly medicinal marijuana. 

But everyone who's been to SoCal and Boulder will tell you that the "prescription" controls are BS and anyone can walk out with a couple brownies just by saying they have back pain.

And I know all about the long term effects since my parents went to UC in the 1970s...

It has psychogenic effects as does alcohol and any other mood altering drug.  Tobacco is has a shorter term but even nicotine has psychogenic effects the tolerance builds rapidly but let me tell you, you quit smoking then take a drag from someones cigarette you get the same buzz you did when you first started smoking... Then you cough up a lung and stop while you are ahead

The others were more just random facts not in response to anything you said.

The thing is N=2 experiments observed long after the initial treatment will get you laughed out of science if you try to make valid inferences from them.  Aka some parents are just messed up any way you smoke it. 

2012-11-01 12:35 PM

User image

Elite
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 10:10 AM

So what? Underage drinking is against th law, but it was never a problem for me. Weed is illegal, but it was never a problem for me. If I want it, I can get it.

There are some goody two shoes out there that get a little tipsy on New Years Eve as well. So what? They are not "drinkers". If somebody wants to smoke a joint, so what, that does not make them stoners.

There are two kinds of people, those that are susceptible to addiction, and those that are not. (Except is you force feed anyone addictive substances they will become dependent) Those that are susceptible... are already getting high and seeking more... those that are not do not and will not just because it is legal.

Alcohol and nicotine are legal... yet millions choose not to use them. By your reasoning, the entire country should be alcoholics because it is legal, and just about every single person has had a drink, and should be addicted. Yet that is not the case.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I voted to keep our county dry! Rss Feed  

of 4