General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-07-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread

Originally posted by TriGuyBri
Originally posted by trigeeky But that also means it will be super chilly in the AM. Make sure to stay warm before the race and maybe put some disposable arm warmers/gloves in T1. I have an old battered pair of arm warmers which I will put on in T1 and discard later during the day when it gets warmer.
I used a pair of long socks that I have used for a half-marathon. Cheap and throw away. I thought about a pair of Zoot icefil and not put water on them until later, but use as a layer to start. I have white pair of pearl izumi sun sleeves for the run.

I'm thinking about the long socks too. I have a couple of pairs of arm warmers that are thin enough they'd slip into my back jersey pocket easily, but they're fairly tight and I'm worried about getting them off over my Garmin 310 watch - while moving on the bike. The socks might have more stretch and come off easier I'm thinking...

2013-07-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Yeah I was going to use my regular arm warmers too and putting them in my jersey pocket, but you are right. They won't go over my garmin when I try to take them off. I have super skinny arms. I wonder if socks will be tight enough to stay up
2013-07-23 4:10 PM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Multiple weather sites also predicting winds at 5-10mph

That sounds absolutely HEAVENLY Cool

2013-07-23 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Originally posted by lisac957

Multiple weather sites also predicting winds at 5-10mph

That sounds absolutely HEAVENLY Cool

Trying...to control...urge...to..happy dance!! Laughing

2013-07-23 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Originally posted by trigeeky But that also means it will be super chilly in the AM. Make sure to stay warm before the race and maybe put some disposable arm warmers/gloves in T1. I have an old battered pair of arm warmers which I will put on in T1 and discard later during the day when it gets warmer.
I used a pair of long socks that I have used for a half-marathon. Cheap and throw away. I thought about a pair of Zoot icefil and not put water on them until later, but use as a layer to start. I have white pair of pearl izumi sun sleeves for the run.

I'm thinking about the long socks too. I have a couple of pairs of arm warmers that are thin enough they'd slip into my back jersey pocket easily, but they're fairly tight and I'm worried about getting them off over my Garmin 310 watch - while moving on the bike. The socks might have more stretch and come off easier I'm thinking...

I am mounting my Garmin on my bike and then putting it on my wrist inT2, otherwise I'd have the same issue.

2013-07-23 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
FWIW, we had similar temps for the 70.3 and I was comfortable on the bike with no arm coverage - and you'll be swimming twice the distance. Don't forget the water will be 72ish and with your wetsuit on you will warm up.

2013-07-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Tim, I think people are just worried about it being too cold standing around before the race. I get to start in the first swim wave so I don't need to worry about that too much. My slow swim time excuse will be that I wanted to stay warmer longer...yeah people will believe that surely. Can't wait to start with the pros and have people 3-5 waves behind me pass me :P I seem to be getting slower and slower the more I swim. Master's swim is on the books for me on the off season.

Little nervous. Tomorrow is pack day and hoping my LBS still has me down for a bike case. Freaking out that I didn't check up with them but I saw them put me in their schedule though. Got an easy 45 min ride + 3 mile run tomorrow and I think I'm done until the race. Going to be hard to get anything in. Supposed to do light workouts leading up to it but I'll have to see if my hotel has a gym.

Edited by Blastman 2013-07-23 9:14 PM
2013-07-23 9:43 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by Blastman

Tim, I think people are just worried about it being too cold standing around before the race. I get to start in the first swim wave so I don't need to worry about that too much. My slow swim time excuse will be that I wanted to stay warmer longer...yeah people will believe that surely. Can't wait to start with the pros and have people 3-5 waves behind me pass me :P I seem to be getting slower and slower the more I swim. Master's swim is on the books for me on the off season.

Little nervous. Tomorrow is pack day and hoping my LBS still has me down for a bike case. Freaking out that I didn't check up with them but I saw them put me in their schedule though. Got an easy 45 min ride + 3 mile run tomorrow and I think I'm done until the race. Going to be hard to get anything in. Supposed to do light workouts leading up to it but I'll have to see if my hotel has a gym.

Do you have the tools you need for putting it back together?

2013-07-23 9:54 PM

User image

I think so, if not I'll get it tomorrow (took the day off due to this ). I borrowed a pedal wrench and I just bought a bike torque set. I don't see anything else I'll need. The guy at my shop gave me a quick minute overview of what I'll need do with my bike a few months ago. He said my bike will actually be easy and only my pedals, wheels, and aero bars should need to come off.
2013-07-23 11:24 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

I think so, if not I'll get it tomorrow (took the day off due to this ). I borrowed a pedal wrench and I just bought a bike torque set. I don't see anything else I'll need. The guy at my shop gave me a quick minute overview of what I'll need do with my bike a few months ago. He said my bike will actually be easy and only my pedals, wheels, and aero bars should need to come off.

Ok because I'll have my tools with me. Never know. And just in case I am lodging in Santa Rosa at the Flamingo Conf and Spa. Cell number 503-400-2163. Brian Hilsabeck. Always willing to help out.

2013-07-24 10:18 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TTom FWIW, we had similar temps for the 70.3 and I was comfortable on the bike with no arm coverage - and you'll be swimming twice the distance. Don't forget the water will be 72ish and with your wetsuit on you will warm up.

But the air temp will be around 55 degrees! I don't even ride at home below 60 degrees, especially in the sleeveless jersey I'm wearing. Surprised I'm the kind of person who would rather heat up a bit and shed a layer rather than shiver uncomfortably for hours before I warm up..

I picked up some knee-length women's fashion/cotton socks at Target last night - they're super fun, hot pink and polka dot or some such. Snipped off the toes and tried them on, they're perfect. Enough stretch I'll be able to get them over my Garmin and toss them at an aid station. Plus they were only $1.75.

2013-07-24 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

Originally posted by TTom FWIW, we had similar temps for the 70.3 and I was comfortable on the bike with no arm coverage - and you'll be swimming twice the distance. Don't forget the water will be 72ish and with your wetsuit on you will warm up.

But the air temp will be around 55 degrees! I don't even ride at home below 60 degrees, especially in the sleeveless jersey I'm wearing. Surprised I'm the kind of person who would rather heat up a bit and shed a layer rather than shiver uncomfortably for hours before I warm up..

I picked up some knee-length women's fashion/cotton socks at Target last night - they're super fun, hot pink and polka dot or some such. Snipped off the toes and tried them on, they're perfect. Enough stretch I'll be able to get them over my Garmin and toss them at an aid station. Plus they were only $1.75.

I was freezing for several miles yesterday on my bike ride and it was 67 degrees out! 55 degrees and wet is going to be...brrr! Guess we will be thankful for some hills to warm us up
2013-07-24 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Hi All-I'm one of your finish line catchers on Saturday from 8-11pm, I look forward to welcoming each of you home!

As a friend of mine says "When the gun goes off, just aim for the chute and you'll be fine!"
2013-07-24 11:47 AM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Originally posted by LittleCat Hi All-I'm one of your finish line catchers on Saturday from 8-11pm, I look forward to welcoming each of you home! As a friend of mine says "When the gun goes off, just aim for the chute and you'll be fine!"

Thanks so much for volunteering!  I'll be seeing you--I'll be the one in stars & stripes, limping, and with a bleary look on her face! Smile

2013-07-24 4:52 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Originally posted by LittleCat

Hi All-I'm one of your finish line catchers on Saturday from 8-11pm, I look forward to welcoming each of you home!

As a friend of mine says "When the gun goes off, just aim for the chute and you'll be fine!"

Thanks! I will be the one in neon green/yellow top and purple shorts right behind swgtri crawling to the finish crying like a baby, but hopefully smiling.
2013-07-24 6:04 PM

User image

Brian thanks for the offer! I just got my biked packed today. It was not pretty. I had to take off my handlebars, when I didn't think I would need to. Hopefully my tape, pictures, and markings are enough to get me back up to speed. 80% done packing! Just need to mow my yard (the 3 blades of grass that haven't died from the heat/drought yet) and I should be ready to go after I toss in some last minute cloths.

You guys have me freaking out about it being too cold now, lol. Going to play it by ear and see how it feels Friday morning and buy socks for my arms, if needed. I'm 50/50 on the trial swim..probably leaning more towards yes since the 2 hour time difference is in my favor. I'd hate to get up super early but I just bought new goggles since my other ones just started to leak on my last swim. I'm going to bring new and old ones but I'd like to test out new ones and use them if possible. What time are you guys thinking about it? Would have to be really early to swim, run back and shower up, and then meet up at coffee shop.

Holy cow...can't believe I'm flying out tomorrow. Getting real now...

2013-07-24 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
What is everyone eating for dinner these next few days?
2013-07-24 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by akrenik

What is everyone eating for dinner these next few days?

Nothing different than I always eat. I had a couple of large pieces of thin pizza tonight after 45 min. on the bike trainer. No beer. I'll go with some pasta the next two nights nothing very spicy and probably No lettuce. Does not work well for me. I also like sub sandwiches like turkey and cheese with plan mustard. Salty chips as well. I have been eating non- fat pretzels to snack on today.

I am in Eureka tonight and will arrive tomorrow. may head down to the Town Green for a Blues Concert in the park.

Safe travels everyone.
2013-07-25 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Bought a computer for my bike so I will know my speed and mileage and can save my watch so the battery is fresh for the run. My husband is starting to stress me out though. He races dirtbikes and so he is used to bringing spare everything in case the bike breaks down. He now wants me to go to bike store and get a master link for chain in case it breaks. Wants me to have spare tires. He even asked me if there is someone who has a bike I can bring in case mine falls apart with 20 miles to go or something. Haha. I know this all translates to "I love you" but it is freaking me out.
2013-07-25 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I should have gone that route but already spending too much. Sitting in my hotel room eating salty Hoody Roasted in a shell peanuts. Helps me with my nerves. Drinking water. Just got done swimming. Never thought about a matter link. Nerves are hi right now. Trying to settle down.
2013-07-25 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

I should have gone that route but already spending too much. Sitting in my hotel room eating salty Hoody Roasted in a shell peanuts. Helps me with my nerves. Drinking water. Just got done swimming. Never thought about a matter link. Nerves are hi right now. Trying to settle down.

Did you swim in the river? How's it feel? As for the nerves I hear ya! I went on you tube and watched a video of an infant giggling. Sounds silly, but totally made me smile and settle down. Haha!

2013-07-25 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by akrenik

Did you swim in the river? How's it feel? As for the nerves I hear ya! I went on you tube and watched a video of an infant giggling. Sounds silly, but totally made me smile and settle down. Haha!

No swam in the hotel pool. It has swim lanes with no bouys. Accidently smacked a kid in the head.

2013-07-26 12:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
heading to Johnsons beach tomorrow around 8:30 if anyone wants to jump in too
2013-07-26 4:57 PM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Expert
Salem
Nice meeting all you BTer's who made it to Cafe Noto for coffee and some meet and greet. See you all out on the course. Look for the BT Tattos.

2013-07-26 7:55 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Good luck everyone - have a GREAT race!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29