General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Vineman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-03-30 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4479377

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Vineman : Official Thread
Another week of good training - 6900 yds swim, 94 miles bike, 17 miles on the elliptical as I baby my grumpy plantar facia, and 2 hours of strength. I've upped my caloric intake as I was starting to feel a bit tired and that seemed to do the trick. How is training going for you?

2013-03-30 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4680177

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Great job TTom! I became a "silver member" this week. Oh my do I have work to do!! I've been way short in training than what silver training suggests. So I'm really trying to keep up without threat of injury. Math totals: swim:15150 bike:185 (hoping to squeeze in 15 Easter morn to make it an even 200) and run: 56. Ready for April. 3.5 months to go!!!
2013-03-30 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Way to go Elena! I didn't realize it was the end of the month and time to check those totals. I'll have to take a look at that. What does the Silver plan you got look like in terms of weekly volume? Hope it isn't too big of a step up. As you say, avoiding injury is key. I'd like to say I'm an adherent to that philosophy, but my track record would call me a liar:-)Update: monthly totals bike 380 miles, run 56, swim 27650 yards. More than I've ever done before. Hard to believe this is still early days. Yikes!
2013-04-29 5:32 PM

Veteran
Honolulu
Is there a good after party Smile
2013-04-30 10:20 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ

Going for my second Synvisc knee shot today, hope the knee(s) are ready in July for run. My swimming at Masters should get me ready for Russian River swim and my hill  repeats on the bike in AZ mtns should get me the hill  training for rolling hills thru the vineyards but my knees worry me with those rolling hills on the run.

The after party should have plenty of wine at finish! I have fasted from wine and beer during my training. I sure am looking forward to a glass of wine after the finish!!

2013-04-30 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4720633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
foyth - 2013-04-30 8:20 AM

Going for my second Synvisc knee shot today, hope the knee(s) are ready in July for run. My swimming at Masters should get me ready for Russian River swim and my hill  repeats on the bike in AZ mtns should get me the hill  training for rolling hills thru the vineyards but my knees worry me with those rolling hills on the run.

I know the swim. Ive ridden the ride. BUt I know nothing about the run... Tell me about the run.

2013-05-02 10:22 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ
www.viewtherace.com has some good videos on Vineman courses.
2013-05-03 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
The run is hilly--almost all rolling. Hardly anything is just flat. I can only think of one big hill about mile 4. It's short but steep (and it's in the shade). There is some shade on the course, but a lot of sun. The end of the run is more flat and downhill so it finishes nicely.
2013-05-07 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4723957

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
foyth - 2013-05-02 8:22 AM www.viewtherace.com has some good videos on Vineman courses.
Thanks for posting this link.  What a great way to familiarize yourself with the course in advance.
2013-05-15 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4669895

User image

Mesa, AZ
Anybody thought about a tattoo after Vineman 70.3? Some triathletes frown on tattoos unless you finish a full 140.3 Ironman. I thought about a tattoo with M-Dot half filled with red after 70.3 and then fill in after you complete a 140.3 if you can. At 70 years young I am not sure I will  ever finish a full 140.3. I attempted IMAZ in 2011 and DNF in swim after 2 miles. Vineman will be my second 70.3.

Edited by foyth 2013-05-15 12:07 PM
2013-05-15 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4743730

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

foyth - 2013-05-15 10:05 AM Anybody thought about a tattoo after Vineman 70.3? Some triathletes frown on tattoos unless you finish a full 140.3 Ironman. I thought about a tattoo with M-Dot half filled with red after 70.3 and then fill in after you complete a 140.3 if you can. At 70 years young I am not sure I will  ever finish a full 140.3. I attempted IMAZ in 2011 and DNF in swim after 2 miles. Vineman will be my second 70.3.

Well, I guess my feeling is that it depends on why you are getting the tattoo.  If you are getting it to be a part of the "Ironman Group", then there may be some concern that others may view it as posing, and only you can say if that is an issue for you.  But if you put the 70.3 in there before it, you are clearly stating it is for a HIM.  If you do finish a full, the 140.3 below it will shut 'em up!  If you are getting it for yourself, to celebrate your personal acheivement, then I would say go for it.  As an alternate, you could consider using the race specific logo (or a variation on it) which incorporates the M-Dot but also celebrates the race itself:

VM logo

Edited by TTom 2013-05-15 1:18 PM

2013-05-16 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
Hello everyone another Gregg here. I'm currently two weeks out from the Hawaii 70.3 but as much as I'm looking forward to and training for it, I'm really looking forward to the Vineman as it's close to home and I spectated last years race in preparation. My last race was the march Lavaman Oly at 2:44 with a very slow/rough ocean swim. I've been trying to set a realistic goal for this race and right now it's 6 hrs but I'll let you know just how realistic it is after Hawaii...l
2013-05-17 3:23 PM
in reply to: Captain Morgan

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Question for those of you who have done the race before. What is possible for a swim warm up at Johnson beach? Is there an area where you can get in as the earlier waves are going out?
2013-05-17 5:01 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA
Waves are separated out by a few minutes and once the wave before yours has started, you can enter the water and go for a few strokes in the space between the start line and the dam. It's kind of confined and crowded, but you don't really need a thorough warm up as the water is usually pretty warm (mid 70s).
2013-05-17 5:57 PM
in reply to: davide

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by davide

Waves are separated out by a few minutes and once the wave before yours has started, you can enter the water and go for a few strokes in the space between the start line and the dam. It's kind of confined and crowded, but you don't really need a thorough warm up as the water is usually pretty warm (mid 70s).
Hmmm. I'm not as much worried about the temp as I want to get some of the swim adrenaline worked out and the shoulders stretched out so that I don't do my usual go out too fast thing. I think I need to swim a couple of hundred at least to get past that point. Sounds like the warm up at Vineman is going to be more of a Splash and Dash!
2013-05-19 10:01 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Trying to get up to Napa on Thursday to ride most of the course. Tentatively planning on a start at 8:30-9:00 (depending on traffic getting there from the Bay Area) if anyone is interested. Likely be parking near Airport and McLaughlin and riding down to River road and over to the course, follow the course around and jump off about 2 miles the finish to get back to the car. Just want to get a feeling for the course and I'm supposed to do a 3:15-3:30 ride this week anyway . . .

2013-05-20 10:49 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ
I plan on getting there Friday, will it be possible to ride bike course then at all? I would love a practice swim Fri or Saturday, is that possible. I am traveling from AZ Thursday but stopping in Placentia Thursday night to break the rip up, we are driving from AZ.
2013-05-20 3:33 PM
in reply to: foyth

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by foyth

I plan on getting there Friday, will it be possible to ride bike course then at all? I would love a practice swim Fri or Saturday, is that possible. I am traveling from AZ Thursday but stopping in Placentia Thursday night to break the rip up, we are driving from AZ.

On the website posted earlier in the thread (www.viewtherace.com) I believe the guy who made the video said he was videoing the bike course the day before, and he was passing cyclists, so I'm guessing you'll be able to ride it. For me, I'm going to to it day after tomorrow if I can pull off the scheduling .
2013-05-23 10:28 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ
Have you tried any of the knee braces from Bauerfeind? I have used their Genu Train A3 since 2008 and I want to get my sports Dr to prescribe a new set but I wonder if their P3 model might be better for my right knee since I tore the meniscus. I am not sure sometimes if my knee pain is more IT Band issues or knee since knee doesn't swell.

http://www.bauerfeindusa.com/en/products/supports-orthoses/knee-hip...
2013-05-23 6:38 PM
in reply to: foyth

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Re: swim warm-up.. Have to agree that there is a little area to waddle in prior to your wave going out but really not large enough to do a few hundred yrds. Not sure about bike course. I'd say it probably is open. Not certain tho.

Random question: Will Mike Riley be there to announce that I am an ironman? lol? Or does only announce full IM events? Watched my sister in law do HIM TX-Galveston in April and I never ever heard the announcer say ______, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN! So just wondering,
2013-05-23 9:31 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I was able to make it up to Windsor today and (mostly) ride the course. Because the T2 and T2 are separated, I chose a point between that would allow me to take most of the course and ride about the same distance.  Calculated distance was to be 57 miles, but due to a missed turn ended up to be 61 miles.  Here's my take on the course:

VM test ride

A - The 'off-course' part of the ride due to T1 and T2 being separated. 

B - Westside Road/Dry Creek Road.  When you first get onto Westside Road you are going to be confronted with a short steep hill.  The road itself looks like it is heading back into a residential area, so I wasn't sure this was the right turn and had to stop and do a map check.  After you get to the top of that hill it is roller after roller after roller.  The road is rough and to make matters worse, there is a lot of tree cover which combined with the morning sun makes it tough to tell the difference between a shady spot and a pothole.  There are a lot of places along the course, Westside especially, where there are 4-10" chunks of asphalt missing and holes 2" and deeper.  You've got to really watch where you are going; I predict a high incidence of pinch flats will be witnessed.  If, like me, you have a road bike with clip on aerobars, you might find it tough to spend a lot of time on Westside in aero as you are constantly shifting and the road is so rough I felt I needed to be on the hoods or the drops most of the time for safety.  Once you get to Dry Creek, the road improves significantly.  Below is a comparison of elevation to speed from this morning with the red line signifying where you leave Dry Creek and turn on Canyon (or you are supposed toTongue out).  As you can see, the rollers are combined with a continuous climb, so this part of the ride turns out to be one of the tougher ones.

VM ele speed

C - Oops.  I somehow missed the turn onto Canyon and it took me a couple of miles to really be certain I'd missed it.  You can see where my speed drops to zero just past the red line as I'm pulling out my map and firing up the GPS on the phone to figure out what happened.  This came back to haunt me later as I was certain I had missed Chalk Hill road (see pause at about mile 45) but just forgot to add in the mileage from my Canyon road miss to my turn by turn chart.

D- Canyon Road.  Really nice road to ride.  Starts out with a gentle uphill to lull you into a sense of false security as there is a real hill to be ridden here.  Not a killer, but one to be respected.  The neat thing is when you get to the top and you see the other side, it is a hill to be rocketed down.  I didn't go all out today but will push it harder on race day.  Seriously, this should be a 40+mph hill.  Part of the issue today was that Highway 101 is at the bottom and there was a truck getting onto Canyon from 101 that had me a bit concerned.  On race day, no such concerns as the police will be directing traffic there.  Have some fun on this hill!

E - Highway 128.  Most of 128 is in great condition.  After the rough ride on the outbound leg, it is like riding on glass.  You can get down in aero and really get your rhythm as the rollers are small and few and it is a slight downhill overall.  Even though you stay on highway 128, there are an inordinate number of 90 degree turns you have to make which was interesting today, but they will be well marked with volunteers there on raceday - or so I hope.  About 4 miles before you turn off onto Chalk Hill the net downhill turns into a net uphill with a not insignificant climb just before the turn.  This gets you thinking about the ominous Chalk Hill as you turn on to the road that is its namesake.

F - Chalk Hill Road - Starts out as a really fun road.  Good downhill with some sweet turns that last a couple of miles then you get the precursor hills to Chalk Hill.  Never having ridden this before, I wasn't sure when I would hit Chalk Hill so each of the smaller ones got me thinking "Is this it?"  If you have to ask, you haven't reached it.  If you look at the hill at mile 52 above, you'll see that it stands out above all others.  It is a 220 foot climb over 3/4 of a mile.  At first it was a tough slog, but once I found the rhythm it was just a grind.  The backside is another fun downhill but I was behind on nutrition for part of it so use that as an opportunity to refuel.  At the end of Chalk Hill you turn onto Pleasant Hill and I found out the UN-pleasant way that there was one of those chunks of asphalt missing just before the intersection as I was looking for cross traffic.  It was a really big jolt and I'm equally surprised I didn't go down and that I didn't get a pinch flat.  Again, I'd advise keeping a close eye on the surface you plan to track over!

The rest of the ride from that point is basically flat after a 1/4 mile uphill on Pleasant Hill and when you turn on Shiloh you can really motor for a couple of miles.  Then it is city streets the rest of the way in.

Overall I was quite happy with the ride today.  I learned a lot about the course and it will help me to plan for race day better.  My Garmin Moving Time had me at 3:26 for the 60.8 miles, translating into an average moving speed of 17.7 mph (I use moving to try and eliminate my map-reading stops).  It wasn't race day performance, but then again it wasn't race day.  I think to get under 6 hours I'll need to have a minimum of 18 mph and with the training time left and race day conditions, I think it is doable.  I actually thought I'd hit that today, but the outbound part of the course surprised me as it was more of a challenge than I'd thought it would be. 

As just a final note, my training schedule had me get off the bike and do a 20 minute run after this ride.  I've struggled with keeping it slow at the beginning of the run as the legs really get used to a 90+ cadence, but today did better.  First few hundred yards were of course painful as muscles that were tight loosened up, but then felt OK.  I was able to keep the pace from being an

I know this was a bit of a long post but hopefully there were some helpful nuggets in there for those who have not done this ride yet.  If you are going to use this for any planning, please remember that the mileages mentioned above DO NOT correspond to the course as my starting point was different and my oops at point C adding in miles.

-Tom

2013-05-23 9:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Originally posted by EV3110

Re: swim warm-up.. Have to agree that there is a little area to waddle in prior to your wave going out but really not large enough to do a few hundred yrds. Not sure about bike course. I'd say it probably is open. Not certain tho.

Random question: Will Mike Riley be there to announce that I am an ironman? lol? Or does only announce full IM events? Watched my sister in law do HIM TX-Galveston in April and I never ever heard the announcer say ______, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN! So just wondering,

No Mike Riley, and there is no 'you are an Ironman' at a HIM because you're not an Ironman until you've finished a full.

Edited by LittleCat 2013-05-23 9:57 PM
2013-05-24 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Tom, thanks for the recap of the course!  I watched the VTR video and it's just not the same as actually riding it....in fact, with the way they speed it up, I was certain I'd be spending my entire ride on the horns to navigate the turns, but I'm thinking/hoping that will not be the case.

I wonder if they'll mark the potholes and such before the race?  I know a lot of our local roads are crap, so they'll go out with bright orange spray paint and mark the roads so we can see stuff like that to avoid potential pinch flats and whatnot. 

One last question -- were the roads dirty?  If so, was the dirt enough to make it slippery?  I remember the VTR video showed a lot of dirt on one section of the road and I was concerned about how our skinny bike tires would handle it.

2013-05-24 8:25 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Nicole, the roads were not particularly dirty so no issue there. If I recall the video showed the downhill on Canyon as the dirty spot, but it was pristine yesterday.
2013-05-30 8:15 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Nicole,

I posted on the Vineman 70.3 forum and got the response that in fact the organizers do a good job of repairing the really big holes and marking the others.  Good to hear!  I'm going to ride the course again with a cycling buddy next week and will post any new findings I think are worthwhile.  Question for those familiar with the course: Is there a fountain in Geyserville where one can refill water bottles, or a store where we can buy water?  I'd guess the answer would have to be yes, but want to stash some water if not sure as it is going to be WARM on that ride.

So today was another triple brick - 2100 yd swim/37 mile ride/7 mile run.  These workouts are a real new thing for me as I still consider myself new to Tri.  The neat thing here is that on this training brick, comparing it to my Oly last fall, my swim was faster by 13 sec/100, the bike was at the same pace as the Oly, and the run was 16 sec/mile slower - but that's a victory as I'm trying to SLOW DOWN after getting off the bike.  Tells me that I've made some good progress over the past few months of training and am on the right track for July!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Vineman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5