General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Marathon not happening Sunday. :( Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-11-02 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4481305

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: NYC Marathon not happening Sunday. :(
I don't think it needed to be cancelled at all. I think it had become this divisive issue and a lot of people (who were neither participating in the race nor personally affected by the storm) had jumped all over it. A lot of the arguments against it were based on misinformation and false assumptions. In the end, the hue and cry had become too much to ignore and they were forced to cancel it.

It's too bad, because I think it could have happened with minimal impact on the recovery and could have brought a jolt of needed revenue to the city. But, given the PR nightmare that it had become, they mayor and the NYRR really had no choice. I feel badly for the people who were planning to race, especially the ones who travelled here.

2012-11-02 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4481370

User image

Sensei
Sin City

ropkins - 2012-11-02 2:50 PM I agree it wasn't the best timing to make a decision. However, for all of you that are pissed off, think of the people who lost everything due to the storm. Your race cancellation doesn't amount to much now does it?

Interesting point.  Races, movies, TV, plays, sporting events - basically, anything that's just for entertainment doesn't amount to much compaired to those who lost everything.  Or to those in wars, or starving in other countries, or sick from cancer or other illness.

Maybe we should get rid of all that stuff till we sort out the worlds problems.

2012-11-02 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I think there won't be a ton of lost revenue. I just tried to cancel my room, but couldn't. I'm sure I'm not alone there. Then there are those who already flew in - they still need to eat. I think it was the right decision to cancel, but several days too late. I already registered for another marathon this Sunday, but I'm out quite a bit of money, and it's still going to the NYC area.
2012-11-02 6:54 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
The generator used for the race clock produces enough wattage to power 7 average homes. This is a gross aversion of resources used for the race which should be used in recovery. 7000 bottles of water at water stations when mere blocks away, residents have none.

Going ahead with the race is beyond selfish.
2012-11-02 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4481387

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Khyron - 2012-11-02 3:58 PM
Kido - 2012-11-02 3:45 PM
halfmarathondon - 2012-11-02 2:40 PM

Totally the wrong call.  Far too late now to back track on his earlier decision to hold it.  Calling it off three days ago would be fine. But to don't tell the wold it is on, come to NY.  Then the day most people arrive say "never mind". 

Just hope they cancel the Sunday football game as well. 

Why?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-giants-scheduled-165502881--nfl.html

All the traffic, police and security and EMS being diverted to the stadium, those opposing players coming to town and kicking out the displaced - but I guess football is more important. 

With the threats of shooting/stabbing towards the runners they had no choice. Bad apples show their colors and paint all of NYC with a bad brush.

Also, the race fee isn't the issue, it's the people that flew in spending 2000+ dollars + non-refundable hotels, etc.

The article states that the players are flying in day of game and then flying back out.

2012-11-02 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4481435

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Kido - 2012-11-02 4:34 PM
Khyron - 2012-11-02 2:58 PM

Totally the wrong call.  Far too late now to back track on his earlier decision to hold it.  Calling it off three days ago would be fine. But to don't tell the wold it is on, come to NY.  Then the day most people arrive say "never mind". 

Why?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-giants-scheduled-165502881--nfl.html

All the traffic, police and security and EMS being diverted to the stadium, those opposing players coming to town and kicking out the displaced - but I guess football is more important. 

With the threats of shooting/stabbing towards the runners they had no choice. Bad apples show their colors and paint all of NYC with a bad brush.

Also, the race fee isn't the issue, it's the people that flew in spending 2000+ dollars + non-refundable hotels, etc.

An event in a localized area (stadium) with much of their own security and hired EMS attended by mostly local people who won't take that many rooms.  (I also read the link, and the football team is not even going to take rooms.)

Then an event which is spread all over the city, without their own security that relies on the city police and EMS for traffic control - with TONS of international and national visitors taking tons of rooms.

Are you saying that these are the SAME and neither should not happen?

Might as well cancel all the little league games too.  Someone's grandma might have flow in to see it and they might have a cop doing traffic control.  valuable resources.

They are not the same is the point I'm trying to make.  You cancel the race because that makes sense.  Taking your ball and going home and saying they shouldn't have ANY other sporting events is silly to me.  well, if they are not going to have the race, they shouldn't have anything, boo hoo.

It's a big cluster.  They should have cancled it earlier.

In a sick way, this makes good business sense though.  Everyone that's going to be there, are most likely on their way or already there.  Some people were there a week ago.  SO, 80% of the money that was going to the city, probably still is.  They still have to eat and stay somewhere.  But then they don't have to manage the race.

If they canceled on Monday, a lot of people would have canceled and not showed up.

I said last week there was no way it would go, not with the subway flooded. But obviously the mayor talked to the chiefs of police, the heads of EMS, city planning, etc before saying it would go on. Yes in certain areas it's bad but the majority it's not. A lot of the issues are just waiting for the power companies to get on site to make repairs. You seriously think they are short on bottled water?

One of the big arguments was the increase in road traffic and "waste" of resources like gas. Well, what does a stadium hold - 30-40K? That's not going to have traffic?

If I'd booked a hotel I'd for sure be trying to get a chargeback on the CC... I also hope anyone that publicly threatened violence against the runners or organizers are charged with terrorism.

2012-11-02 8:02 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
If you're in NYC for the marathon, some local runners and triathletes are trying to organize marathon runners to help the relief effort. If you're here and you'd like to help, look them up.

NYC Marathon of Relief--NYC MORE2012.

[email protected]
Nycmore2012.com
Or look them up on Facebook.
2012-11-02 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4481520

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
pitt83 - 2012-11-02 6:54 PM

The generator used for the race clock produces enough wattage to power 7 average homes. This is a gross aversion of resources used for the race which should be used in recovery. 7000 bottles of water at water stations when mere blocks away, residents have none.

Going ahead with the race is beyond selfish.

Great point!
2012-11-02 8:58 PM

Expert
This is what politicians strive on. Good luck to those affected by a storm. Been there . Done that. God bless.
2012-11-02 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4481597

ropkins - 2012-11-02 8:11 PM
pitt83 - 2012-11-02 6:54 PM The generator used for the race clock produces enough wattage to power 7 average homes. This is a gross aversion of resources used for the race which should be used in recovery. 7000 bottles of water at water stations when mere blocks away, residents have none. Going ahead with the race is beyond selfish.
Great point!

First of all, I'm on the fence as to whether or not they should have cancelled, there are good reasons for both decisions.  However, with regards to resources, there are plenty.  There are generators in the area, they are just not being given away.  Also, water is not lacking, what is lacking is people giving it away for free.  I do think the runners and organizers are being unfairly targeted, there are many many people who will not be donating their time and resources this weekend. 

One of the legitimate reasons to cancel the race is that the residents do not want to see thousands of people tromping through their neigborhood "having a good time" while they are picking through what is left of their belongings.

It is more a matter of sensitivity than diversion of resources.  But again, to call the participants selfish is unfair.  They have committed countless hours of their time to achieve a personal goal and run in one of world's most famous races.  And not to pick on football (I am a fan), but there are plenty of people who will just be sitting at home watching the games on Sunday. 

And to the runners who made it to town and are going to donate their time to the relief efforts, you  are awesome. Thanks.

2012-11-02 9:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
I have friends that have spent months training for this race, used all their savings and traveled from Europe for the race. Now tell me Mary Wittenberg couldn't have canceled the race on Monday or Tuesday. That would have at least avoided thousands of people flying from far away places for nothing and spend thousands of dollars for nothing. Very bad call, Mary!

2012-11-02 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4481673

User image

Payson, AZ

goran007 - 2012-11-02 7:49 PM I have friends that have spent months training for this race, used all their savings and traveled from Europe for the race. Now tell me Mary Wittenberg couldn't have canceled the race on Monday or Tuesday. That would have at least avoided thousands of people flying from far away places for nothing and spend thousands of dollars for nothing. Very bad call, Mary!

Their flights would have been bought long ago and probably not refundable.  It sucks but it was going to suck regardless of what decision it they made and when they made it

2012-11-02 9:56 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
This was a decision that should have been announced on Tuesday.  In looking at the photos of NY,it's pretty clear that there would be no way to make a course through all 5 boroughs safe for the runners. They say no resources would have been diverted from the repair work being done....but I don't think that was a realistic assessment of the situation.  
I feel bad for people who hung in with their reservations/ airline fees and so forth to have the race canceled 2 days prior to when it was scheduled.  No other words but "sucks" for that....but the people of the city don't need to come watch people run through the devastation.  They need basic services restored and have some sanity brought back after an insane week for them.   
2012-11-02 10:10 PM

Regular
I love the marathon. I've never run it, but marathon sunday is one of my favorite days in my city. We get to show off, and cheer people on. I'm personally sad its been cancelled and they should have done it sooner, but it was the right decision.

This is absolutely a question of where to spend resources. The police, sanitation, hospitals and emergency workers have been working round the clock for the past week to make sure people are safe. I work with the NYPD - they've been on 12 hours shifts. Now, they are supposed to work more hours on Sunday for the marathon? Seems pretty trivial all things considered.

In terms of other resources? Someone said above: "Also, water is not lacking, what is lacking is people giving it away for free." As someone who spend hours the past few days filling water bottles, carrying them up 30 flights of stairs to people who can't leave their high-rises - this is totally untrue. There is enough water and enough water available for free. The question is getting it to the people who need it. particularly in Staten Island. Again - use the manpower resources where they are best available.

I'm sorry it was cancelled and that people spent money, but this is the world of racing. Races get cancelled for emergencies. They get cancelled for weather. No one wants it to happen, but it happens.

2012-11-02 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4481687

I could be wrong. And I really mean that, I just got power back, and besides radio and word of mouth, have not seen the destruction of the hardest hit areas. 

"Also, water is not lacking, what is lacking is people giving it away", what I meant is that there is plenty of water, just not people who are not working (like you) giving it away, as in not enough volunteers.

If it is a question of people being diverted from the hard hit areas to help manage the race, I am clearly wrong, but I just haven't been given that impression.  Even when you said  "I work with the NYPD - they've been on 12 hours shifts.  Now, they are supposed to work more hours on Sunday for the marathon," implies that these people would just not be working, not being diverted from helping. 

Again, I could be wrong, it was just an opinion.  But the one point I was really trying to make is that the participants and organizers were being unfairly treated.  Whether or not to cancel the race, I'm just glad it wasn't my decision. 

2012-11-02 11:24 PM

User image

Many airlines were waiving change fees for flights to NYC. Most hotel reservations Can be fully refunded with a day or two notice.

I still think it should have been canceled ealier but they way they did it screwed over a large number of people.

2012-11-02 11:43 PM
in reply to: #4481376

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
BigDH - 2012-11-02 4:53 PM

Why?

I think the idea is that we wouldn't want to divert resources from something necessary to something unnecessary. Also, I mean, all those people going to the football game and the players, well, their time would be better served cleaning up the city then having fun and forgetting their troubles for a while, especially while others suffer. Not to mention all the people that are going to waste their afternoons watching the football game on TV while they could be out helping in their communities, wherever they may be.

This could be said about every single Sunday in every city, its only when a "massive" scenario such as this garners the attention. We could draw a lot of people and resources every Sunday to "far greater things" if football wasn't on, but why is this case any different then any other Sunday? because a hurricane hit NYC? 

2012-11-03 12:03 AM

what are they gonna do with all the finishers medals?
2012-11-03 12:37 AM
in reply to: #4481746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Axis of Weasel - 2012-11-02 10:03 PM

what are they gonna do with all the finishers medals?

Melt them into the new Jersey Shores boardwalk
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Marathon not happening Sunday. :( Rss Feed  

of 2