United States
53F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 38m
Overall Rank = 11030/23532
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 686/1751
Pre-race routine:

We stayed in DC and I was worried that my husband would have a hard time getting me close to runners village with the road closures so my day started at 0445. I ate a banana and Rise bar with coffee and and a liter of smart water. Also had a few swigs of Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Zero issues getting dropped of at the Pentagon parking lot, so I arrived earlier than I planned. It just started to lightly rain so I grabbed my throwaway jacket and gave my pup and hubby a kiss goodbye. It was at least a mile walk to the start, but I took the time to wake up and get my mind right for the day. This was my first full and I was a little nervous with my longest run being a 20 miler. I waited, no exaggeration, 45 min to use the potty. Thank goodness I left early and the rain stopped at the start of the race.
Run
  • 4h 38m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a challenging race for me, I really wanted to run a 4:30 but am happy with my 4:38 for my first marathon. The Marines make this race.

This is a great first timers race, the crowds are really hyped and the Marines are the best cheerers. It is a very spectator friendly race. I saw my girlfriends 3 times and my husband 5 times and it is such a great boost to have along the way.
What would you do differently?:

Run More Hills.
No get a cold, followed by a sinus infection (that required antibiotics) the 2.5 weeks leading up to the race.
Enjoy the sights more.
Post race
Warm down:

The way the Marines present the runners their finishers medal is so special. The lines were a little crazy at the finish but the Marines did such a great job with crowd control. A nice young Marine opened the metal fence for me to slip out of the finishers shoot. I was spent and just wanted to sit. After sitting for a few min. We walked to the car, just in time for Hurricane Sandy to rear her ugly head.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Def the lack of hills in my long training runs. This was my first full and I learned a lot, so I was happy with my overall performance.

Event comments:

I will be back for another have at it in 2013!

Last updated: 2012-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
04:38:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1751
Overall: 0/23532
Performance: Good
Course: Ok, I was totally unprepared for the hill sitch. I thought there would be a few hills to conquer but really I felt like the majority of the race I was running up or down a hill. I was running with the 4:30 pace group up until mile 18ish and it was really crowded, I am hoping it was b/c it is a popular pace group but I was elbow to elbow all the was through mile 20. Thinned out big time on 110 but I also could not hang with the 4:30's any longer. Water stating were spaced out nicely and they were well staffed so you never had to slow to get a drink.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-11-04 2:16 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: Marine Corps Mrathon

2012-11-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4482871

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Mrathon

Good job on completing your first marathon and coming close to your goal pace.

I'm surprised that you felt that most of the race was up or down hills, as the course profile is largely flat after mile 9. It was rather windy out there, so perhaps some of the windy sections felt like uphills. And it sounds like the pace-group crowds may have made it harder to run naturally.

2012-11-05 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA

Great race, Heather!  I wish we could have stayed together.  I fell off the 4:30 pace group at 12 miles due to my foot hurting.  I managed to finish just under 5 hours.  We decided to stay until Monday morning, which was a big mistake.  Even though we left at 5am, we didn't make it home until Tuesday at noon.  We got pulled off the road at the Delaware state line.  My medical id didn't mean much to them for emergency personnel!! 

I will send you information about upcoming trail runs.  I hope to see you there.

2012-11-05 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
I felt like the first 10 miles was like running the Broad Street Run.  It was elbow to elbow and I almost tripped on some idiot girl, who decided to run perpendicluar to the crowd to get to the opposite side of the road!  Yell
2012-11-06 9:00 AM

User image

Austin, Texas
Way to go Heather!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Mrathon Rss Feed