Missouri River Runners
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 20m 16s
Overall Rank = 5/159
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Not much to prepare for. The race was at 10:00 AM. We needed to register Ryan and Luke for the 1K and Evan for the Toddler Trot so we got there around 8:30.
Event warmup:

Stretching and some light jogging. I also ran the 1K with Ryan and Luke. Both boys ran the entire thing and Ryan was a few seconds ahead of Luke. Very proud of my little men!!!
Run
  • 20m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off in the 2nd or 3rd row of people and was trapped for a little bit as the faster runners took off. I worked to catch up and run with some of my buddies. Diane took off at a pretty fast pace which was good for her. She, and Randy were ahead of me and both were doing the 10K. I caught up to Diane and pulled her pretty good to the 5K turnaround. With the cool temps I was glad that I had on a thin long sleeved shirt with some thin gloves on. At the turn around, thankfully some of the studs in front of me kept going and there were only 3 people in front of me now. Adam and I played a little bit of leap frog but eventually I pulled away from him. I saw Steve Joyce about 60 yards after the turnaround. I was surprised he was that far back but I know he finishes strong. The run back to the finish was flat and uneventful other than some of the slower runners running 3 or 4 wide taking up the entire trail. I had to go off the trail and onto the grass one time but no big deal.

Steve passed me with about 1/4 of a mile to go and I couldn't answer his charge. He beat me by about 10 seconds but I still ended up 5th overall and first in my age group. I should have pushed harder the last 1/2 mile or so and I may have broke 20.
What would you do differently?:

Finish harder. Hell, it was a 5K and I left a lot on the track but I could have ran to the "I think I'm gonna puke" level but I didn't.
Post race
Warm down:

Little jogging around the indoor track as we were getting ready for Evan to run the Toddler Trot. Stretching and waited around for awards.

They had some good food too. Vegetable chips, bagel bites, fruit and some frickin awesome cake!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. Nice event and a new PR for me!!

Event comments:

Missouri River Runners club does a great job with their races. I have no complaints at all.

Last updated: 2012-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:16 | 03.11 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 5/159
Performance: Good
Averaged 173 with a Max HR of 180. Felt under control for most of the race.
Course: Started at Four Seasons in the street. Worked our way up to the River Trail and ran on a flat as a board trail for almost the entire 5K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes