General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sunglasses? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-24 3:29 PM

New user

College Station, TX
Subject: sunglasses?
I've been training for a little over a month for a sprint in August and I presently don't wear sunglasses when I run or ride. I've basically never worn sunglasses ever, but I'm realizing the need for them now when I get crap in my eyes after every car passes me on my bike rides. What do y'all wear? Do I need to look for some that are polarized? I don't want to spend that much since I'm a teacher and I don't want to put a dent in my huge (yeah right!) bank account. Everything else I've bought for my new hobby has limited my play money so far, but it has all been very well worth the price.
Thanks in advance!

2004-06-24 3:33 PM
in reply to: #33494

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
Subject: RE: sunglasses?
I can't see without my Rx, so I got a real trick looking pair of Rayban's

Before that I just used whatever was least expensive and good looking out of one of the bike warehouse catalogs like Nashbar or Performance. They sell them with changable lenses for different conditions

2004-06-24 3:40 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I just dropped my old glasses off at the optomestrist's this morning. He's going to turn them into sunglasses for me, so I'll have a close-to-accurate prescription AND sunglasses. Of course, the main reason that I got new glasses in the first place is that my very fashion-conscious daughter told me that I looked like Harry Potter in my old glasses. Now I'll look like Harry Potter, wearing sunglasses and a triathlon suit. The mind reels.

Andrea
2004-06-24 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I used to tri without sunglasses, and it was a marked improvement when I made the transition!! So I would definitely endorse the sunglass thing.

But I'm pretty low-income, so I just made do with cheapish sport sunglasses (as half the benefit when biking is just protecting your eyes from dust, debris and bugs!) and then when it came to a birthday I got some polarized from my family (such a nice family!) If you have the money, I'd say make the investment--but this would not be at the top of my tri wish list. Otherwise, just work with what you've got--I was pretty pleased with my cheapish sunglasses, too. (o:

Edited by dhlundblad 2004-06-24 4:50 PM
2004-06-24 5:47 PM

User image

Master
I have a pair of "Ironman" brand sunglasses that I use. Seem to work fine. I think I paid $17 for them.

I don't think this is an item that you have to spend alot of money on. (Although you can if you want to.)

Bill
2004-06-24 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden Colorado
Subject: Optic Nerve
It's a company out of colorad and you can buy off of their web page or see if there is a retailer near you. I bought a pair last year for $36.00 and it is the best money I have ever spent - I have the copper lenses which work great even at dusk. The ones I bought were big enough to fit my fat head and strudy enough to last a year so far - even playing volleyball 3 nights a week in the summer. Check them out - but definitely spend a little money on some quality glasses - I don't think you need to spend more than $40.00 though.

2004-06-24 6:36 PM

Regular
SOBX, NC
I ride and run with "Native" sunglasses. For about $100 they come with 4 sets of lenses, and they are light wieght.
2004-06-25 6:44 AM

Ashland, Ma
I am the proverbial "cheap sunglass guru" I wont pay more than ten or twelve dollars for a pair................because I wreck them in no time flat..........Ive stepped on them, rode over them, sat on them, just plain lost them, chipped, scratched, cracked, and it would make me cry to have that happen to a 100$$ pair let alone some of the outrageously priced shades out there.............

I use them when I am driving, biking and fishing...........and I am good for about 4 or 5 pairs a year I figure it is the price of being a klutz where my sunglasses are concerned...........If I was one of you "A" type folk who had all my act together and properly cared for such an item then I would probably go higher end................

Polarized are nice for fishing because it cuts the reflective glare off the water but I dont think its necessary for my other endeavors........I get most of my glasses at highway rest area kiosks or flea markets or mall kiosks..........but they gotta look good
2004-06-25 7:40 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Get a pair of sunglasses. It doesn't matter what you pay for them or what they look like, just so long as they protect your eyes from flying debris. It's pretty hard to concentrate on your cadence when you have a gnat stuck in your eye! If you absolutely do not like sunglasses, go to a hardware store and get safety glasses; they look like sports glasses and cost less than $10.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sunglasses? Rss Feed