United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 12s
Overall Rank = 24/244
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/45
Pre-race routine:

Chad and I drove to Okoboji on Friday night to meet Diane, Nick, Randy, Kelly, Emily, Stacy, and Michelle at Minervas. Had a nice meal, relaxed by the lake at Amber's uncle's house and went to bed kind of early. Presented one of my famous agendas to the group.
Event warmup:

Stretching, running, and some time in the water.
Had yogurt, toast, and a Power Bar with some water and gator aide.
Swim
  • 15m 52s
  • 1055 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Terrible start. Running in off the beach I stepped on a decent sized rock, tripped then got ran and swam over. Kind of freaked out too. Couldn't catch my breath and panicked. Rolled over to my back and relaxed for about a minute then felt like I was ready to go. First time this ever happened and I did what I have been instructed to do. Relax! After I calmed down, I ended up having a strong swim.
What would you do differently?:

Don't panic.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Bike
  • 47m 45s
  • 18 miles
  • 22.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Strong bike segment. Only got passed a couple of times but did a fair amount of passing this time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Drank a couple of huge drinks of water as my calve was cramping up off the bike. Emily was standing right there giving me a good pep talk. Once I got running the cramps felt like they were going to be fine.
Run
  • 33m 50s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

As I took off out of T2 I was worried about a cramp creeping up in my calve. At the first water station I hydrated twice. Two full cups of water and one for the top of my head. This helped get the cramps to subside right away and did not feel them again. this year I was passing people on the run that had passed me on the bike. I still think I need more run training to get to the next level in this event. The route was well marked and there wasn't any confusing turns this year. They still have the cheaters mat out at the tip of the turnaround point. People have been known to cut this 1/3 mile or so off when doing this race as it is nearly impossible to tell if you do it or not. Other than the cheaters timing mat. As I was making my way to the final turn down the board walk towards the lake I felt strong. I finished as hard as I have ever done and passed two more people. this race has a great finish line. The street is lined on both sides by the crowd. The announcer yells out your name and the crowd is cheering loud. I sprinted my way to a new PR at Boji!!
What would you do differently?:

run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Water, bananas, and some food. Waited for the rest of the Sux Tri Club members to cross the finish line.

The group of us went to Mrs Lady's mexican food for lunch. Very good meal. Chad and I split a meal because we knew what we were ordering. Tip for next year, this place does not take Visa and only local checks and their ATM machine was not working. Barely had enough money to pay for lunch.

Event comments:

this is a well run event. the only problem I have with this event is the swim start. We should not start on the beach and run into the water. Tons of rocks to deal with and people can get pretty hurt. We should start about 50 yards off the shoreline and this would be perfect. Not sure why the organizers did the start this way this year. Last year we started from a swimming position.

Last updated: 2012-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:52 | 1055 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 46/244
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back, started from the beach and ran in.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:45 | 18 miles | 22.62 mile/hr
Overall: 19/244
Performance:
Wind:
Course: same course as last year. Went very well. I was playing leap frog with some young 19 year old until the neighborhood. Then I pulled away. didn't miss a turn this year either so that was good. Felt as fast as I have ever felt on this race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:50 | 04.5 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 54/244
Performance: Good
Course: Highway, hills, and neighborhoods all make for a fun run. Tons of volunteer water stations. This race was rather cool too. The temps were nice and then volunteers were partying and excited. Good Run over all.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes