United States
Potomac river running
Sunny
Total Time = 18m
Overall Rank = 4/296
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/18
Pre-race routine:

This was a fund raiser for Jeff's friend's wrestling team and an opportunity to get out and see Jeff do a 5k. I still had to do some other running that day to finish off my volume for the week, so Jeff, Scott, and I ran most of the course as a warmup before it started.
Run
  • 18m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The start line was pretty packed, so I ended up in the second row with Jeff behind some eager kids. It appeared there were 4 other serious runners there besides us, so I wanted to get into that group without getting tangled up. When the gun went off, there was a kid still bent over tying his shoes!
Luckily he was to the side of us and didn't get hurt, but that could have been ugly if the people behind didn't see him.

I was able to get clear fairly early, but the group was going out fast. I kept them within sight, but did not sit in. I did the first mile in 5:31. there was a bit of downhill, but that's my fastest ever mile I believe. I still wasn't in the group, but I managed to reel in one of the runners and sat on him the rest of the way out to the turn around. The other three were still too far ahead, but I was able to surge after the turn and drop the 4th guy. I tried to just stay steady the rest of the way back and not give him a chance to recover. We had to loop around the school at the end and I got some dicey directions from the marshal, but it only cost me ~10 feet in the wrong direction. I held on and hit the finish right at 18:00. Good run.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on Jeff and Scott. They did awesome and Jeff took his first podium. Then Scott and I did another lap as cool down to finish up my run.

Event comments:

Just small local 5k, but really well done for the first year. Definitely recommend it if you are in the area.

Last updated: 2012-10-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:00 | 03.11 miles | 05m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 4/296
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4