Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 11h 43m 34s
Overall Rank = 643/2500
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 45/119
Pre-race routine:

Dropped off my bags and hung out at the beach. I was more calm for this race than any event prior. I was anxious the week coming into race day but I slept like a baby and the morning of the race I was surprisingly calm and collected. The tone for my day was set early. It was going to be a day of dealing with issues on the fly and improvising. I got to air up my tires and my Extender was loose and could not air up my front. I tightened it as much as I could and my neighbor held it on tight as he could and we got it to work.
Event warmup:

no real warm up.
Swim
  • 1h 09m 32s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up about 5-6 people deep and to the right. First lap was really fast for me with all the drafting. 32:56 which is faster than my Half IM second lap slowed down when things thinned out and I found myself swimming alone a lot more. The water had some pretty good waves but they were rollers and didn't bother me actually made it pretty fun! I did get kicked and punched lost my nose clip in the last few hundred yards with a swift heel to ht nose. But thats part of the fun and im not going to let that bother me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I had predicted a 1:10 as my BEST case scenario swim. i stayed relaxed the whole swim and got out feeling fresh and ready for the bike. ( Maybe draft a bit better lap 2)
Transition 1
  • 06m 54s
Comments:

coming in at 1:10 I had to do all my own stuff as it was pretty packed. had to get my own bike and my bag. We could not clip in shoes and it was a pretty long transition run.

Nothing Everything went pretty smooth. I could swim faster so I had more help in the tent =)
Bike
  • 5h 46m 9s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike started Fast with the wind so I knew coming back would be slow. I took the first hour easy and worked into my target effort. Just after mile 40 I already had to pee I tried SO hard to pee on the bike but gave up around mile 50 at the next porta john and felt much better after that! I felt great and was moving well taking my 2 gels an hour and salt tabs and than around 60 my gut started to get full and was queezy taking any more gel or drink and I got a bit worried. On top of that I am not sure my Powertap was reading right anymore seemed to have low numbers(85-114) so ignored that and went by feel. I backed off the water and ate some cliff bar instead of gels I took a banana at an aid station. that feeling started to subside so i started taking in some of the course Gu roctane that was different from mine in hopes I would deal with it better peed again around mile 70 ( still couldn't on the bike)Also now my power tap was telling me I was pushing 450-500 watts for the next 10 miles ( I really ignored that since my legs were not throbbing and my lungs were not exploding!... I ignored it. By mile 80-85 I felt like a million bucks again so I kept with roctane and banana at each aid station and started taking my salt pill and drinking more water. I passed A tone of people going back into the wind that had blown passed me on the earlier portions. I finished the bike strong and feel I paced really well.

I made some big improvements in my nutrition from my last two HIMs but I obviously still need some work. Besides that I think I executed my bike very well.
Transition 2
  • 04m 57s
Comments:

T2 went pretty good. more volunteer help since the changing tent was pretty slow this time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 4h 36m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to take on course nutrition and take my salt pills my stomach was apparently unsettled still so I was having problems getting in nutrition. I ran well for the first 13-14 miles but I was not getting in enough liquids. At mile 7 my pace fell from 9 min pace to mid 10s is when I gave into my first explosive rest stop... so I was still running well through mile 13 -14 but around mile 14 I had another explosive stop. I got to see my wife and 3 yr old at the turn around and my son was ringing his bell and saying go dady. It was huge to get to see them as I headed away from the finish line for 13 more miles. After that things slowly started to drop off and I knew I would not be able to hold pace through the rest of the race so i slowed Down and implemented some preventative run walking. Picked orange cone to walk to or some other close marker and than ran 9:30 pace the rest of the time. The walking became more frequent after mile 18 but I never felt like my wheels fell off (around mile 21 had yet another stop of the same nature....) From around mile 18 I started taking coke and around mile 20 I found chicken Broth and I think it was like a gift from above It settled my stomach and I never had any more issues but was way behind on nutrition by that point. I ran into my mom around mile 24 and stopped to giver her a hug and tell her I was ok. From there my legs felt a lot better. I saw my grandparents at mile 25 and gave them a hug. My grandpa told me I had a sub 12 in the bag. Going into the race I told myself I would not look at times to prevent my Ego taking over and chasing some "magic time goal" so until this point i had no clue what the Total Time was. I thought with where the sun was I was going to miss sub 12 so hearing that from my grandpa i got bit emotional and my emotions took over and I finished strong. I got to the finish chute and High fived every hand I could find going back and forth across the chute. I got the chute and gave my best effort to Click my heels together for my brother who was not able to make it to Florida. I looked back and saw the clock was under 11:45 and I couldn't believe it. I was an Ironman.

I think I did everything I could on that day.
Post race
Warm down:

I saw my wife and Son and told them dont worry but I am headed to the med tent... Blood pressure was 80 over something and they said come this way.I took an easy 2 liters of IV and lied down on a cot =)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I corrected lots of my nutrition issues from my HIM mistakes but I still have work to get my nutrition dialed in and figure out the stomach issues.

Event comments:

I was very happy with my ability to keep my mind in the game and not let myself lose the mental game. I did have some rough physically spots but never felt let it defeat me mentally and it paid off with a great result.
Thanks to the great volunteers and spectators that made my day great.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:09:32 | 4156 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/119
Overall: 0/2500
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:46:09 | 112 miles | 19.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 53/119
Overall: 783/2500
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:36:02 | 26.2 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/119
Overall: 643/2500
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-11-05 1:13 PM

User image

Arlington
Subject: Ironman Florida

2012-11-05 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4484496

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Great job my man! You definitely learned from your HIMs and listened to your body much better at this race. Those low points you experienced are inevitable at an Ironman... but you bounced back well. That's a damn good time for your first IM. Keep it up!!
2012-11-05 5:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I'm crying cuz I'm so happy for you.  Congratulations Ironman!!!  I'm sure that we saw you at some time because DH and I worked pre-swim security 4:30-6:30 and then food 2 to 7. Excellent job on your Ironman and those are some crazy good times.
2012-11-05 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Great race and great report! Congrats!
2012-11-05 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe

Nicely done, Ironman!

2012-11-05 8:22 PM

User image

Austin, Texas
Good race Fratto, I think we sat by each other waiting for a post race massage.

2012-11-06 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Good job Fratto!
2012-11-06 7:20 PM

User image

Arlington
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I cant wait for another shot at it! But until than I am in New Orleans Eating Gumbo and drinking hurricanes to celebrate this one!
2012-11-06 8:15 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

Awesome job , bro!  Great to see you had tons of family support out here .  Yeah, huge to see the kiddo(s) at the turn.

Congrats!

2012-12-07 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Nice job man.  I thing sans stomach issues you probably had maybe 15-30 minutes faster of a performance if you really wanted it.  That's encouraging for the next time.  Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed