Overall Rank = 1337/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 222/
Swim
  • 1h 26m 48s
  • 4156 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

From the start to the first buoy was the typical washing machine that you read about from a mass start. Took a few kicks and a sizeable elbow to the right eye, which resulted in a loud grunt that caused the guy to turn back and take a look at me. No harm no foul and got back into my rhythm. After reaching the first red buoy, everything mellowed out. It was at that point I knew I had this under control and that I would be fine with the ocean swim.

The second loop produced more sizeable waves but no contact occurred and my sighting was right on.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 13m 16s
Comments:

not sure what I was doing for all of this time.....and I was already wearing my tri top and tri shorts. Oh well, I soaked it all in and I enjoyed getting ready for the bike ride
Bike
  • 6h 19m 57s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.69 mile/hr

I could have pushed harder on the bike for sure and I know I left a lot of time on the course, but it was my first IM so I will take this into the next one I do as an area of opportunity.
Transition 2
  • 07m 51s
Comments:

Again, just spent a little extra time getting from Bike to run but I didn't care, I was just happy to be off the bike!

Nothing-I had a hand written note from my youngest daughter in my T2 bag and I sat down and read it, almost cried and didn't give a crap about how much time I was taking.
Run
  • 4h 55m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

The first lap was really good, I did it in 2:15 and was feeling pretty good. I love to run and knew this could be where I would do better than the other 2 segments of the race. My nutrition went well: water,gu, bananas,cola every few ade stations and who could forget the ice down the front and back of my tri-top. I got to see my family on the run out and at the turn around. What a huge boost! By mile 18 the day was getting to me. My pace dropped to 12min/mile then by mile 23 it was hovering around 13min/mile due to some walking through the dark in the park and the neighborhood. I told myself to get out of this darkness and get back into the lights along the main street. I picked up my pace and made it out of the neighborhood and I could hear the finish line from over 2 miles away. what a huge boost mentally. My pace picked up and finished at 11min/mile average over the last couple of miles.

I ran down the chute, slapped as many hands as I could, saw my family and friends, slapped hands with my buddy PJ who finished in 11:06 and was next to the railing before the final 30 yards before the finish line. And then it happened....I heard those words...." You are an IRONMAN" what an incredible day.

Nothing. Not a freaking thing. My family and friends were there. 5 of us volunteered last year and each trained for this race. That night all 5 of us completed the race. We raced as Team RGF- these are the initials of one of our teammate's dad (and 3 of the guys father in law)who has terminal brain cancer. We wore these shirts to honor him and for his determination in his battle. That night, just before midnight-he was able to place a finishers medal around the neck of one of his daughters as she became an ironman. Being able to see my friends complete their race and be apart of this experience....I wouldn't change 1 thing.
Post race

Last updated: 2011-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:48 | 4156 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 13:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:19:57 | 112 miles | 17.69 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: the bike ride started well, settled into my water, nutrition and pace. In training I averaged at or close to 20 mph for all rides, but I also knew that the day would bring additional challenges like the heat and humidity so I backed down slightly from my typical pace. I ate like a pig on the course, gels, gu brew, bananas, bonk breaker bar, protein bar!!! I had trained with this stuff so I knew I could handle it. I also took a couple of salt tablets at SN to prep for the hot run course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:55:06 | 26.2 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-11-05 2:24 PM

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: Ironman Florida

2012-11-05 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4484671

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Great job.  I had to chuckle when you kept saying you "slapped hands" with everyone given your profile picture.
2012-11-05 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Great race! Enjoyed the report.
2012-11-05 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
You finished within a minute or two of one of my training partners...I must have watched you finish.  Well done! 
2012-11-05 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4485184

User image

Austin, Texas
Thanks tri and taint (laughing as I type that). Such a great race, awesome volunteers and good local fan support.
2012-11-07 2:32 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
Did you say you will work on bike pace for the NEXT ONE? It was an awesome trip and a great race for Team RGF. Where are we going next?

2012-11-07 3:19 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Well done.  congratulations
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed