General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring planning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-06 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Spring planning

Hello everyone - I was wondering what the BT crowd thinks about this.  I am currently training for my first HIM which will be in June of 2013 (Raleigh).  I have a 1/2 marathon on my calendar that I am participating in on April 14th.  This Half Marathon is a B race at most.  It really is just a long training run disguised as a race.  According to my training calendar, that weekend would have had a 10-11 mile run anyway.  --  Here is my question.  There is an Olympic distance Tri being held at my local 'swimming hole' the next weekend (April 20th).  Do you think doing the HM the weekend before an Olympic is a bad idea?  My A race isn't until the first weekend in June.  --  I like the idea of doing the Olympic as a warm up for the HIM 6 weeks later.

What do you think?

Thanks - Adam

2012-11-06 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4485812

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: RE: Spring planning
If you're approaching them both as "training" races and your times are not as important to you as your "A" race, then I would do them both.  However, your recovery from a HM or an Oly might differ than mine or anyone elses, so take into account how much, if any, training time you'll lose from the days before and the days after those races.  You probably won't want to stick to your training plan right up to the day before either race, and you'll be tired and either will skip, or won't get much out of, any training for a few days after each of those races.
2012-11-06 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

I would do the Olympic.

You don;t plan to go all out in either race.

as stated the HM is a training run for you.

The Olympic should be a training for you as well, focus on your weak points (Brick? transition?)

2012-11-06 10:11 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Nothing wrong with it at all, especially if you aren't running the HM all that hard, anyway.

Your legs will probably be a little beat up from the HM a week earlier, so you'll want to do nothing but easy runs during that week leading up to the Oly, but you will definitely be able to go out and do the Oly.   Now, you probably won't perform optimally in it, but you'll absolutely be able to do it.  Just think of it as another 'B' race and good transition practice and your expectations should be in line.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring planning Rss Feed