General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMTX - First IM Deam Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-06 2:38 PM

Subject: IMTX - First IM Deam Question

Hi everyone, i was wondering if you could help me. I have done a few Oly Tris and a MArathon this year and i am starting to DREAM of one day completing an IM (Saw all the inspiration videos and Kona program... I can only Dream).

I know this question has been answered many times (Which is the easiest in the US), i wanted to know which one would be recomended i am looking for a "not so hilly" course (I understand FL and AZ would be top choice), since the bike is my biggest concern. The swim, mass start, hilly run, etc. wouldnt worry me so much.. i think, hehe.

Why hasnt IMTX sold out? is it too hot? seems like a nice place to race. Would you recomend Los Cabos or Cozumel? I did some research on difficulty and it seems like Cozumel has high finish times, is it the wind? it should be very flat.

Anyway its a 2 - 3 year project (if not more), so if anyone has a few minutes to spare some knowldge i'd apreciate it!Thank you!

Have a great day!

2012-11-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4486567

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: IMTX - First IM Deam Question
IM Texas can be windy and will stand a good chance of being hot/humid during the run portion, especially if you are not from the Southwest. The swim is poor water, but is a small lake, so no current, and usually a pretty nice temperature - warm enough you don't need a wetsuit, but cool enough that they usually allow people to take a 10-min delay (and you cannot Kona qualify) and wear a wetsuit.

I think most people avoid because of the heat/humidity and a fear of wind/chip seal on the roads. Last year, I thought the roads were great compared to what we ride on up in N. Texas for the most part and the wind was manageable. The run was hot and somewhat humid, but I am from Texas and had trained in the heat. The humidity caused me some problems for a few miles until I got my salt tabs dialed in. Seems like I saw after the race that Jordan Rapp (men's winner) said it was close to Kona in his estimation as far as the heat and humidity were concerned.
2012-11-07 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX

Where are you from? Like was said, IMTX can be pretty hot and humid and the bike can get windy. As is normal that time of year, the wind is out of the south and gets worse throughout the day. So, starting out the bike headed north you may have a little tail wind but not much. By the time you make it to Richards and head back south, you will almost surely have the wind in your face and the sun in full force.

All of that said, I loved this race. I live in Houston though so I am acclimated (if thats possible) to the heat and humidity. You should come down in May and volunteer so you can see the course and what the weather is like. Read all of the race reports you can to get a good idea of the course. Mine is about 673 pages long, as it should be since I was out there until almost midnight! I will be doing this race again in 2014. Love the course, the people, and the suck!

2012-11-07 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4487742

User image

After the summer of 2011 spent training in central Texas, I thought IMTX was an amazing course... Having said that, it was hot, but not as hot as, say Louisville, and there was a pretty good headwind on the back half of the bike (there are races with way more wind issues), and there was chipseal (but I've ridden MUCH worse) and the lake was gross (I actually have a pretty good fish story, but the poor thing dnf'd, bad hydration strategy). So - it COULD be worse. I'm taking a break from ironman training to raise my kids, but as soon as the youngest goes to school, I'll be doing this race again, no question.

Edited by ironultrared 2012-11-07 9:47 AM
2012-11-07 6:54 PM

Hi!! Thank you very much for the info everyone, i am from Mexico City, we have way lower temps, hehehe. But i have a good idea of how the weather can be. Im guessing this could be a good place for my first IM, i was thinking FL but it seems that it sells out way to fast, jaja. I still have to talk to my wife about this because from what i have heard you need everyone in your life on board for this project to make it great!!

Difficulty-wise (sp?) how do you think it compares to Cozumel? (Cabos seems to be a fine place to race as well).

Thank you again for being so helpfull!

2012-11-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4488916

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
svalenzuela - 2012-11-07 6:54 PM

Hi!! Thank you very much for the info everyone, i am from Mexico City, we have way lower temps, hehehe. But i have a good idea of how the weather can be. Im guessing this could be a good place for my first IM, i was thinking FL but it seems that it sells out way to fast, jaja. I still have to talk to my wife about this because from what i have heard you need everyone in your life on board for this project to make it great!!

Difficulty-wise (sp?) how do you think it compares to Cozumel? (Cabos seems to be a fine place to race as well).

Thank you again for being so helpfull!

Depends on the day of course, but I thought Texas was harder. Temps were about the same the year I did both, but the air was stagnant on the run at texas and breezy in cozumel. Also, sun goes down around 5:30 in Cozumel (November) and the sun is out much later in Texas (May) so the heat hangs around longer. Cozumel the ride is flatter but windier, Texas has a few hills in the northern section.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMTX - First IM Deam Question Rss Feed