General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from California Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-06 3:01 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: Hello from California
Hi everyone! First, apologies... for some reason the formatting in this post removes all of my paragraph spacing, so you'll have to read this in one big block. Like many, I've been lurking on the site for a few months. Today I'm turning myself in. I'm 40ish, female, 3 kids, 1 husband. I'm reality tv editor/writer (please don't hate me) and documentary filmmaker. I lived in NY until two years ago when I moved to the west coast. A long time ago I was a competitive swimmer and ran occasionally (soccer/lacrosse). Now I'm just 40ish. A few months ago I became very bored with my exercise program. Walking around the block just wasn't doing it. I realized what I needed was competition. So, I started training for a sprint tri for the 2013 season. At this point, I'm 9 weeks into the couch to 5K plan (aggressive version). Things are going pretty well. By mid-December I'll add swimming and biking into the mix - although I have been swimming occasionally (if you can call it that, flailing might be more appropriate) on Sundays when my kids have swim lessons at the Rose Bowl. I can barely do a 200m free. It's pathetic or amusing, depending on your sense of humor. To keep me honest, on track, and committed to my goal, I'm using STRAVA (which I love) and I've also been writing a blog, in part because I'm a writer, and in part because in my view the looming threat of public humiliation goes a long way to keep me motivated. It's called Cup of G (cupofg.blogspot.com) if any of you would like to join the fun and say hi. Thanks for the site and all of your wisdom and passion. It's been very helpful. You are all amazing and inspiring and I hope to join you as a triathlete someday. Just not tomorrow or the next day. Or next week. Yours, Gretchen

2012-11-06 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4486621

User image

Subject: RE: Hello from California
Welcome Gretchen!   So, when's the first race?  The hard part isn't starting to train, the hard part is actually signing up     looking forward to hearing about your progress.
2012-11-06 3:52 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Hey Chris! Thanks so much. I signed up for a very small race in February. Race on the Base at Los Alamitos. I'd also like to do Hansen Dam and SheROX (maybe). If you have any suggestions, would love to hear. I also just found out that our team's application for Hood to Coast 2013 was accepted, so I'll have to get myself in gear for that too. :) g
2012-11-06 4:52 PM

User image

Elite
all of us come from varying backgrounds from very sporty to not at all - we all share the same goal, to become triathletes of some description! Welcome to you - have fun!
2012-11-07 2:38 AM

Hi Gretchen, I, too, am in the LA area. I will post my intro in the next day or two. I read your blog and loved it. I did my first sprint Tri in June 2012 (at age 59) and had a wonderful time. Like you, I needed to make it about "winning", which for me meant stepping outside (way outside) my comfort zone. The scariest part for me was swimming-I mean I literally feared dying in the ocean swim. Much to my surprise, I loved swimming, especially ocean swimming. (My Tri was Redondo Beach, which I highly recommend.) I am looking to put a next Tri on my calendar. I intended to do another in 2012 but I broke my arm in July. (No, not training; walking a rambunctious German Shepherd puppy on a leash on stairs.) also, check out SwimBikeMom.com. Meredith is an amazing blogger (attorney by profession). She has truly turned herself into a "brand."
2012-11-07 10:29 AM

User image

Los Angeles
Thanks so much abric1. Yeah, ocean swimming in CA isn't high on my list. I grew up in NJ. I love the ocean. Great whites, not so much. I will def check out your friend's blog, and I look forward to seeing you on the forums! Thank you again! g

2012-11-07 10:36 AM

User image

Los Angeles
Oh my goodness, I just checked out your friend's blog swimbikemom. Holy crap she's awesome. I love her already. Thank you for this!
2012-11-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4487404

User image

Redondo is a great tri, was my first and I've either raced or volunteered every year since it started.
2012-11-07 2:45 PM

Swimbikemom isn't my "friend" but I wish she were. I definitely feel like I know her.  I ordered her soon to be released book (which is available through her website). i suspect that it will be an invaluable (and hysterical) resource for new triathletes.
2012-11-20 3:17 AM

User image

Hi!

Another newb here.  I have been training since about August, and am going to attempt my first tri (the Bonelli Turkey Tri) in just under a week.  I'm not ready, but I'm not sure I'll ever feel like I am, so I'm going for it. If I die, at least they can toss my body in the lake and save on the burial costs.

If you're thinking of training at the Rose Bowl aquatic center then we're probably close to being neighbors. So... if you want a training buddy (assuming that I survive this weekend's race), let me know.

Meanwhile, good luck and I'll check out your blog. Laughing

-Leanne

2012-11-26 12:03 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Hey Leanne!Just saw your post. LOL. Don't leave me in suspense... did you survive?? g

2012-11-26 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4510339

User image

gmorning - 2012-11-26 11:03 AM Hey Leanne!Just saw your post. LOL. Don't leave me in suspense... did you survive?? g

I did--thanks for asking! I was underprepared and VERY slow, but I finished without losing anything except my sanity. Race report here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=469353&posts=1&start=1

Now it's on to the next challenges, which will probably be 1) improve my 5k time; 2) finish a 10k; and 3) get close to the middle of the pack on sprint-length tris. After that...who knows. I don't have the spare time to make this my main activity, but it's a fun approach to working out.

Take care,
Leanne

2012-11-26 5:24 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Wow! Just read the race report, I am so super impressed! And you just started training in August?! Fab! This past weekend I signed up for the Wildflower Tri in May. I'm hoping to be ready for that. I'm doing Race on the Base in Feb, but the swim is so short - only a 200 - that it shouldn't be too bad.Congrats again!!
2012-11-26 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4510654

User image

SoCal

Hi Gretchen.  Welcome to the fun.  I think you picked a great way to self motivate yourself again.  About 5 years ago I thought, "what would be a cool thing to do, that not everyone can say that they have done, and get myself back into shape."  And I have been training off and on ever since.  The fun thing for me about tri training is that if you don't feel like a run you can always jump in the pool or ride the bike or do a spin class. 

My first race was the Ventura Spirint.  It is a well organized event.  The swim is in the marina (no sharks or waves) and the course is flat.  It is usually the last weekend of June. 

You will be amazed what you body can do when you put your mind to it and kinda stick to a plan.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from California Rss Feed