General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how long until swimming isn't such a struggle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-06 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: how long until swimming isn't such a struggle?
Hi, everyone. I am just wondering how long to expect as a newbie to swimming before it's not so hard. I started in July so have been at it for 4 months now. I started from scratch. Couldn't swim except for dog paddle. Took a few months of lessons with a coach. He had me develop muscle memory and stamina by using fins and a snorkel. I can swim a mile with the
equipment. Take the stuff off and it is more like controlled drowning. I am trying to do the 0 to 1 mile program in six weeks. (Thanks to who ever posted about that) It is SLOW going. I can do 100 yards and then am gasping. The most frustrating part is I am not trying to be fast. Just want to go out there and have a long and slow swim. I am planning on doing my first sprint at the end of March but am starting to get nervous.

Does this seem like normal progression? Should I just keep at it and hope it gets better?

2012-11-06 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4486824

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by FoggyGoggles 2012-11-06 4:59 PM
2012-11-06 5:01 PM

Subject: RE: how long until swimming isn't such a struggle?
How much and how often do you swim? 
2012-11-06 5:02 PM

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark

"muscle memory", haha.

What the above guy said!

2012-11-06 5:09 PM

Mojave Desert
I've been swimming 35 years.  I'll let you know when I get there.    X2 on get a coach or take lessons.  There is a steep learning curve for competitive swimming.  It's all technique in the water.  The bike and run will take care of fitness.
2012-11-06 5:31 PM

Veteran
Tucson
Are you all saying my swim coach was no good? Lol. I swim 3x a week. Swimming about 4000 yards a week. Trying to wean off of the fins and snorkel.

Maybe time to find a new coach? The one I had was local and cheap. I will probably have to drive 40 minutes for anyone else.

2012-11-06 5:31 PM

Elite
Laguna Beach

I've been open water swimming since I was 16. I'm 51. I still ebb and flow with ability and I have never really been super fast.

I love open water swimming, I just have never been a front-runner at it.

When I swim 6 days a week I get faste after a couple months. My fitness improves and I work specifically on a few basic areas on my stroke like finishing the stroke and entering at the front of the stroke correctly (not crossing over). When I hit it hard I go faster.

It's like anything else: Time and effort. There are no shortcuts. A good swim coach definately helps thought, and swimming is a uniquely "coachable" sport.

2012-11-06 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4486882

desertchica - 2012-11-06 12:31 PM Are you all saying my swim coach was no good? Lol. I swim 3x a week. Swimming about 4000 yards a week. Trying to wean off of the fins and snorkel.

Maybe time to find a new coach? The one I had was local and cheap. I will probably have to drive 40 minutes for anyone else.

I won't comment on the coach you have now, but I think you need to swim more.  4k per week isn't a lot if you expect to improve.

And I would just get rid of the fins and snorkel (for now).  I'm going to guess that the reason you're having a hard time after 100 yards is because your body is "uncomfortable" without them.  When your body is uncomfortable or nervous...you start wasting energy instead of being relaxed, and then it's just a downward spiral from there.  Once you do learn that comfort level, where you know you can swim all day without any aids, then you can start incorporating them again if you choose.

I personally think your coach did you a huge diservice by having you start out swimming with fins and a snorkel...if indeed that was your coaches choice.

2012-11-06 6:16 PM

Veteran
Tucson
I just got off the phone with a coach up in Tucson. He is not cheap but sounds good. Found an old thread here on BT saying he is great. This guy said I just need help transitioning off the equipment and he has worked with swimmers like me.

Swim more and get a new coach! My old coach and I were done anyway as the pool we were using closed. Thanks for the advice. I always learn so much here!
2012-11-06 6:24 PM

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Six months of 3X a week with a coach and small (3-5) group for 1-1.5 hours at a time, 6k-8k yards a week, up to 10k some of them.

Edited by GatorDeb 2012-11-06 6:25 PM
2012-11-06 7:14 PM

Veteran

Since you are a new swimmer and you stated, "without the fins, etc. it felt like controlled drowning", I would HIGHLY recommend looking into the Total Immersion Books/DVDs.  They have worked well for me.  I just swam 1650yds in a pool the other day in 25:28, I can hit <1:30 100yd interval pretty consistently, and I can hold 1:45ish/100yds pace for what feels like all day long. 

It really depends on how much time you put into your swimming.  If you want to improve fast and have the time, I would recommend trying to get in 5-6 swims/week.  Work a lot on drills and balance.  Look up drills on youtube, read books, just spend LOTS of time in the water.  Swimming is more of a "technique" thing than it is a "muscle" thing. 

I personally would not use kickboards, fins, paddles, pull boeys, etc. because they only teach you how to swim "with them" instead of allowing your body to get the "feel" of the water.  You need to get comfortable in the water, for example: just try holding your breath, lying on your back, and sinking to the bottom (in the shallow end that is).  You need to stay relaxed.  Work on lying on your back and kicking only to get to the other side, no arms.  Then lay face down with hands at your sides and just kick (holding your breath) to get more feel for the water.  If you can't do these basic things and you can't balance well in the water while staying relaxed, there is no reason to be using paddles, kick boards, and all that fancy stuff. 

STICK WITH THE BASICS UNTIL YOU CAN ACTUALLY SWIM COMFORTABLY FOR 30-60 MINUTES, THEN FOCUS ON IMPROVING YOUR FORM, POWER, ETC.  Good Luck!

2012-11-06 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4486858

ktsdad - 2012-11-06 5:09 PM I've been swimming 35 years.  I'll let you know when I get there.    X2 on get a coach or take lessons.  There is a steep learning curve for competitive swimming.  It's all technique in the water.  The bike and run will take care of fitness.

This

And...

It doesn't get easier...  You just go harder and faster...

2012-11-07 1:04 PM

Signal Mountain, Tennessee

I'm a little shocked with your experience.  All I can tell you is what I've done and what worked for me.

I started swimming almost a month ago and have been swimming 3 times a week.  A few weeks before that I started studying Total Immersion.  This helped me understand how I should look when I swim.  I also have very little swimming experience.  I also got lessons at the local YMCA once a week.  Training wise I loosely follow the plan on this site written by Sara McLarty called Lean to Swim.

During this one month I went from barely being able to swim 25 yards to swimming 100 yards in under 1:50.  This is by no means fast and I have a long was to go, but it has been a huge confidence booster.  I know I can do this with more time in the pool!

The biggest thing that stuck out for me was the use of a snorkel.  For me the hardest part of swimming is learning to breath.  My breathing is getting better and I believe is the only thing holding me back.  By using a snorkel you are totally robing yourself of learning to breath.

I hope this helps.

2012-11-07 2:09 PM

Definately lose the snorkel.

Are you swimming with the fins, then taking them off or is it the other way around?  Its been my experience that if you start the session with fins, it feels very akward to take them off during that session.  I like fins, and I use them.  It allows you to do so much more volume per session that you would be capable of doing without. 

Try not using them for the first half of your session, then put them on as you get tired. 

You can improve on 4k a week when you're just starting out.  Don't worry, it will come.  As to getting tired and gasping after 100y, slow down.  If that doesn't work, slow down more. 

2012-11-07 2:29 PM

Veteran
Tucson

Wow!  You all are wonderful!  Thanks for all the tips!  I went ahead and booked my first lesson with the swim coach I talked to yesterday.  That is next Wednesday.  This guy is gonna be $215 for 5 sessions.  Surprised He sounds good though.  Highly qualified.  I feel like my first coach knew his stuff and he does have a good rep around here.  Not quite sure where he got this idea about learning to swim with the snorkel though.  Breathing is hard!  I did not learn a thing about proper breathing while using it.  All I know is that I have put a lot of time in getting ready for my first tri.  I WILL not quit!  It's gonna happen! 

I do have a TI book around some where.  Started doing some of the stuff in it when I first started swimming but put it away when I started lessons.  I will dig it out and work on that this week. 

Thanks again!  I will post again with an update after I get started with the new coach.

2012-11-07 5:20 PM

Elite
Alturas, California
Hrm 1,000,000 yards under my belt, I will let you know when swimming becomes not hard.

2012-11-07 7:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Been doing it for 2 years.  So obviously the answer is longer than 2 years.  Laughing
2012-11-07 7:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

desertchica - 2012-11-06 4:57 PM Hi, everyone. I am just wondering how long to expect as a newbie to swimming before it's not so hard.

With the help of a great swim technique coach? As little as a few weeks.

Without any competent technique help? 20 years, maybe longer.

(I think you can guess what I am advising ... Wink )

2012-11-07 9:09 PM

Veteran
Tucson
Had an interesting development tonight. I swam at a new to me pool and it was deep! 7 1/2 feet deep. Needless to say, I was nervous when I took off my snorkel and fins. Sometimes I have to stop mid lap and stand up. I have never swam in a pool where the water was over my head. Anyway, I slowed WAY down and did my best to stay calm. Ended up being a good swim. I think I have been panicking which makes me thrash around more. Gets my heart rate up way too high. I am feeling more optimistic about about my swim! Looking forward to my lesson next week!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how long until swimming isn't such a struggle? Rss Feed