General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Triathlete from KY Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-09 12:04 AM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Subject: New Triathlete from KY

Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for a few weeks now, so I figured I would tell my story and start contributing to the discussions.

I live in Georgetown, KY about 12 miles from Lexington, the horse capital of the world. I have always been overweight. Starting around middle school I got a lot bigger playing football as a lineman. It was cool to be big in high school playing varsity football, but as I've grown up into the real world I am sick of it. Last spring I weighed 284lbs. and couldnt take buying pants again, so I bought a cheap mongoose bicycle on clearance at K-mart and started riding. I fell in love with riding these country roads full of rolling hills and multi-million dollar horse farms for scenery, so when I lost 25 lbs, I bought myself a real road bike, a Felt z85. I started cycling big time and have now lost right at about 60lbs. I have always been a pretty good swimmer, so I decided that I would set a goal to do a triathlon next year to keep me motivated. As I have started reading more and more about the sport, my dreams grew from completing a sprint to one day becoming an Ironman! It is a lofty goal for me, especially right now, but I have jumped headfirst into my new healthy lifestyle, and am really happy I have an ultimate fitness goal in a sport where there are attainable stepping stones to get there. I am really thankful for triathlon in that respect.

I am a horrible runner, so I have started the couch to 5k program and I'm almost done with week 4. After I complete that I am going to move on to the sprint training plan from this site. I love the logs to track my workouts! It will be a great way to keep an eye on my progress.

I'm sure I'll have many questions, and this site looks to be one of the most helpful and respectful forums I have seen. I look forward to learning even more about triathlon. :D

Edited by Bradleykd 2012-11-09 12:10 AM

2012-11-09 5:33 AM
in reply to: #4491127

User image

Subject: RE: New Triathlete from KY
Welcome from Louisville!  
2012-11-09 6:40 PM

New user
Edgewood, KY

Welcome from Edgewood, KY.  (Northern Ky).    I just moved from Gtown to here.   Legacy trail is great!   

I started very similar as you about a year and a half ago.    I've done 3 sprint tri's and dreaming and working to do a Ironman...

5'7"  242lbs...  Now, 5'7.5" and 210lbs

Keep at it and have fun!

2012-11-09 9:22 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

Hi guys!

Thanks for the encouragement! I agree, I love the legacy trail. It makes it a safe ride from my house in georgetown to downtown Lexington. I just hope one day I'll be able to run it!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Triathlete from KY Rss Feed