General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sykesville, Maryland
United States
JOANNA M. NICOLAY MELANOMA FOUNDATION
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 21s
Overall Rank = 25/248
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/26
Pre-race routine:

Left at 5:45 to get to race, which is only 9 miles from home. Arrive and checked in, racked the bike and set up all gear in transition ares. Did some warm-ups and chatted with a few friends.

Event warmup:

Lots of stretching at home before leaving for the race. Once set up in transition area ran about 5-7 minutes to get Heart Rate up briefly. I meant to get a 200 meter or so warmup in the pool but ran out of time.
Swim
  • 05m 55s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

With a seed time of 5:45 for a 400M swim I was in the first wave going against the top 16 swim seeds. I got a bit of a slow start on this swim and found myself behind a number of people in my wave. Kept the pace long and steady and started passing people after the 200 meter mark. I focused on keeping in the aerobic zone and not going into a full sprint mode. Finished about 8th/16 in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Better start would help. That's about it.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Not the best T1 ever, I had trouble with my bike gloves and my socks. Forgot to hit my watch timer until I'd already started on the bike so I don't know the exact split, except that it was pretty slow.
What would you do differently?:

Train to run sprints without socks and cycling gloves. Together these 2 items probably cost me a minute of fooling around.
Bike
  • 46m 16s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.16 mile/hr
Comments:

After a pretty lousy T1 I started the bike feeling pretty good. Knowing this course, I wanted to get as much of a lead as possible in the first 5 miles, where the course is faster. I passed a few people in Wave 1 who beat me out of T1, and got passed by a couple serious looking cyclists, and then rode pretty much alone the rest of the ride. Once in the hills, around miles 5-7, my speed occasionally dropped below 10 mph, so I was out of the saddle climbing a bit more than usual. I finished about 4th/5th in my wave.
Transition 2
  • 58m 19s
Comments:

No problems here. Transitioned to running shoes, grabbed my race number belt and was on the run course in less than a minute.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I was the 4th or 5th runner on the course coming out of T2 and I held this position until the turn-around point, where I was passed by a couple runners (not in my age group, though). This is a fairly easy run course, with long gradual uphills followed by long gradual down hills that give you a nice recovery. It was getting hot by 8 am on the run, and I felt sorry for those running in the last few waves which were due to start at 9:30 am. I finished about 8th in my wave and 4th in my age group.
Post race
Event comments:

This race is a great low-key local race that is well run on a good course. This was my third time for this race and I hope they continue to run it in the future.

Last updated: 2006-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:55 | 400 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/248
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 400 meter pool swim with 2 swimmers side-by-side sharing a lane. Start is out of the pool across a chip activation mat, making the start a little weird since we have to run across the deck to the lane, jump in, and start.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:16 | 14 miles | 18.16 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 14 miles through rolling hills. First 5 miles is a net downhill along MD route 94 with small rollers. Second 5 miles includes the 'roller coaster' (Gillis Falls Road) which has 3 fairly large climbs and 3 40mph+ downhill sections. Final 4 miles has some fast sections with sharp turns, and one final steep climb to the finish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 58:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:00 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: From transition area out Rt 97 west and back. Rolling hills on a state highway with a wide shoulder. Very little shade, and very sunny day.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-22 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

2006-06-26 8:07 PM
in reply to: #462844

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri
Good race, it was definately hot as I finished around 9 oclock.  The serious cyclists that passed you was my cousin, (the one with the US postal Service bike and little speed helmet)  But I definately enjoyed the race.  Gonna go for longer distances anytime?  Too bad I didn't get to meet a fellow BT'er, but maybe next year!?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed