General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ?'s for Los Angeles Ca. residents Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-11 5:48 PM

User image

Subject: ?'s for Los Angeles Ca. residents

Hello.

I'll be visiting L.A. the 18th 'till the end of the month.  Any place where I would feel safe enough to ride?  Willing to travel to any part of L.A.  Was initially thinking about parking at the Observatory and riding down to Griffith Park and back.  What do you guys think?  Open to any suggestions.  Also, any place that doesn't require a membership to get some time in the pool?  Just trying to stay active while I'm visiting.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  If all esle fails, I'll leave the bike and jammers behind and get some running in, which admitely, I need a lot of.  Again, thank you.

-J

2012-11-19 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4494024

Subject: RE: ?'s for Los Angeles Ca. residents
Depending on where you are staying, the bike path at the beach is great and can be about as long a ride as you want.  Start in Marina del Rey and head south to Palos Verdes.  Lovely flat ride. If you prefer mountain riding, I can't be much help.
2012-11-19 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Griffith Park and the surrounding area is pretty good for biking and running.  The grade up to the Observatory is a pretty good challenge.  I suggest you park at the train ride/pony area near the entrance at Los Feliz and Giffith Park Blvd.  There's a bike path you can take from there to Travel Town and head up the hill to the Observatory.  I can join you for a ride if you'd like since I live near there.

Echo Park Indoor is a nice pool and only costs $2.50 for entry which is located near Temple and Glendale Blvd (a few blocks south).  They store your stuff and give you a pin used to get your stuff back when you're done.  This is my swimming place during the winter time. 

If you have more questions I can answer, please don't hesitate to ask!  =D

~Roland =)

Edited by kloofyroland 2012-11-19 5:48 PM
2012-11-20 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Here is link to public pools with lap swimming hours

Cost varies

http://www.swim.net/scaqpools.cfm

Also look up Rose bowl Pool in pasadena
Aquatic center in santa clarita
2012-11-30 8:39 PM

VelocityDriven - 2012-11-11 5:48 PM

Hello.

I'll be visiting L.A. the 18th 'till the end of the month.  Any place where I would feel safe enough to ride?  Willing to travel to any part of L.A.  Was initially thinking about parking at the Observatory and riding down to Griffith Park and back.  What do you guys think?  Open to any suggestions.  Also, any place that doesn't require a membership to get some time in the pool?  Just trying to stay active while I'm visiting.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  If all esle fails, I'll leave the bike and jammers behind and get some running in, which admitely, I need a lot of.  Again, thank you.

-J

Best bet by far is to head on down to Ocean Ave at the northwest corner of Santa Monica. You can park for free in the ample street parking in the luxurious community on all of the side streets at all times - there will definitely be plenty of parking (might be 2 blocks away but that's cake on a bike.)

At 8AM, there are usually 3-4 bike groups, with 10-30 people in the winter, and more int he summer heading out on group rides, of all abilities. YOu can join one of them easily fo rthe day. It's awesome.

2013-01-12 6:06 PM

User image

Los Angeles

If you are going to Griffith Park, may I suggest the LA River Bike path.  It's about 7 mi one way and pretty flat.  You can access it from the road that the zoo is on...I believe it's called Crystal Springs.  This and the bike path at the beach (Marina del Rey south to Manhattan Beach Pier) are my favorite places to ride.  Griffith park is good anytime, as it's mostly cyclists and a few runners.  I recommend the beach path in the morning, as later in the day and on the weekends the beach-goers and recreational cyclists can be a bit of a hazard.

Have fun....the weather should be nice!

Ooops!  Thought this was a recent post :-(

Edited by westsider 2013-01-12 6:12 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ?'s for Los Angeles Ca. residents Rss Feed