General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another HIM training question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-14 7:06 AM

User image

Subject: Yet another HIM training question

I know a lot of these threads have been popping in the last few weeks so I keep looking for advice to apply to my own situation and have yet to find my answer.

I finished my season in August in a long course, 1 mi/34 mi/10 mi. During these lasst couple months off I have tried to keep up my endurance by doing an HM with Barry P's plan, and I have a century ride in December which will mark the end of my 'off-season.' I am beginning to formulate my plans to begin training after the century for my HIM at the end of March.

I keep hearing the old adage "Get a training plan" "Don't make your own plan, follow one online" etc. etc. I've been looking at a couple of the free ones on different sites and they all begin at a volume much smaller than I am used to. I am deathly afraid of backing off, losing my fitness, and having to go through the treachery of building to this level again.

Is that the way things work and the purpose of these plans or are they aimed towards some one beginning at a smaller level than me? Maybe that is how you get stronger? I don't know the logistics, but I am sure several of you do! Please tell me how to go about preparing for my training season! My logs are up to date!

2012-11-14 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4497658

Veteran
Subject: RE: Yet another HIM training question

IMO most plans are geared to those doing their first race.  Look at the plans on Training Peaks: https://home.trainingpeaks.com/training-and-nutrition-plans/browse-type.aspx?t=half-ironman

They have numerous plans that begin at a higher fitness level or if you have the $$$$ contact a coach who can design a plan specificly for you.

2012-11-14 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Take a look at Fitzgerald's plans. He has 10 levels for each distance. I used his plans for my last 2 HIM's and I was very prepared for race day. Look at the first few weeks of the HIM plans and pick one that matches up with where you are at. His HIM plans are 20 weeks long. No matter where you are currently at fitness wise you should be able to find a plan that fits you. I agree that many plans are geared toward beginners, that's why the 10 different levels is nice. If you find that the level 10 plan is still too easy for you then you probably should be looking for a coach and getting personalized help.
2012-11-14 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
The gold Membership on BT allows you to put in your personal times as a baseline of where you are- for example swim time for a 100 yd swim etc. run times, and bike times. This allows it to generate more of a customized plan for you.
2012-11-14 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I would get over being afraid of losing your fitness. I don't mean "couch potato" but you will naturally will lose your race ready fitness as you go into recovery phase, and naturally in the "off season". Surely you can maintain some level, but it's good to back off and let your body rest.

Giving yourself adequate training time for your race schedule next year will bring into the peak shape you need to be, with a good plan.

2012-11-14 8:40 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
A plan that starts well below the volume that you are (presumably easily) holding during off season is probably not appropriate for you.  (I intend to include intensity in 'volume'.  If you are running 25mpw all easy and the plan says 15mpw but 5 of it hard, then all bets are off, including the bet whether this is a reasoable plan for anbody.)  Thre is no reason (in general -- there could be good reasons in particular cases) to drop your off-season volume just because you are starting 'the plan'.

2012-11-14 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
+1 on Fitzgerald's plans on training peaks...Yes, they do cost money, but as mentioned there are all sorts of "levels" that you can buy. I used him for my first OLY and HIM and exceeded my expectations. I will know how his IM plan works out soon...They talk about the importance or "trusting you plan" and I definitely trust his.
2012-11-14 9:01 PM

User image

I've never used a "canned" plan off the internet for the exact reason you mentioned.  I've always trained by making my own plans and felt I have done just fine.  Granted, I had to make a lot of adjustments along the way, and rarely does the plan I draw up in the beginning end up looking the same at the end, but that's part of it that I enjoy doing.

If you are not the type of person that likes to plan out their own training, then yes, I would suggest using a plan of the internet as that is likely better than random training with no accountability.  But if you would like to explore making your own plans, then go for it.  What I did in my first season was look at a bunch of training plans and try to grasp the "jist" of what they were trying to accomplish.  Then set my own training plan accordingly. 

2012-11-15 8:20 AM

User image

Thank you for all of your feedback. You each said something that confirmed my thinking and I soaked up all of your great suggestions! I would like to just design my own training plan, because clearly, it is free. I think at this point in the game I know fairly enough about tri to get myself across the finish line easily, but I'm not sure if I have enough knowledge to see huge gains. And just as was mentioned 'it's important to be able to trust your plan.' I think that resonated with me the most. I appreciate all of your input!
2012-11-15 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
A good coach is worth the money. A good plan is worth the money. Put them together and you'll get more results than on your own.

Lesson I learned the hard way.

With coaches, though, you have to check around to find out if he/she is really worth their salt, or just one of the coaches in most major areas that takes on too many clients and doesn't give enough thought/feedback into each client's goals, logs and technique.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another HIM training question Rss Feed