General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Running Festival Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Virginia Running Festival Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newport News, Virginia
United States
Flat-Out Events
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 56s
Overall Rank = 69/364
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/25
Pre-race routine:

Light breakfast but no banana like I normally do. I also normally take a couple of electrolyte tablets before a half and did not this time either. Think I paid for it.
Event warmup:

Normally 5 minute warm up just before the start and a little light stretching
Run
  • 1h 41m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting out running with a friend and then he dropped back. Fell into a good pace and kept it. Was doing really well until the last 2.5 when my calves starting cramping! I had to really slow down and that stunk! I even had to stop at one point. Got through the finish ok. I was really happy with the negative splits and could have clearly broked 1:40 if not for the cramping. Oh well, we come back next year for sure!
What would you do differently?:

I think I was well hydrated before and during the race. They had water and gatorade every two miles. Will definetely be sure to eat a banana before and take a couple of electrolyte tablets like I have in the past.
Post race
Warm down:

Kept moving and felt fine. Was sure to stretch those calves later on

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping

Event comments:

Really a great race. CNU, Mettle Events and Newport News Public Safety all did a great job. Really a fun race that I will be sure to run again

Last updated: 2012-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:56 | 13.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/25
Overall: 69/364
Performance:
The gave us three splits. Mine where: 37:47 8:01 per mile 12:22 7:44 per mile 51:46 7:37 per mile
Course: Loved the course as it is my day to day running and bikeing area. Sort of my "home course" Nice start on Avenue of the Arts and then down to the Hilton area and back along the river past the Lions Bridge. Finish through CNU and the stadium. People out in the neighborhoods cheering us on. It was great
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-11-14 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News
Subject: Virginia Running Festival Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Running Festival Half Marathon Rss Feed