General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Second attempt at Ironman..what would you do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-14 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Second attempt at Ironman..what would you do?

I raced Ironman CdA in 2010, and made it to mile 134.4...(had tummy issues on the run and gave in, knowing I wasn't going to make cutoff at the top of the hill before turnaround).  I took 2 years off and now I'm getting back to training. My plan is to build up to half next year, and train for Ironman in 2014. This time around I'll have experience racing IM previously, and will be 50 lbs lighter and much more mentally confident.  

My question is - would you pick the same race for your repeat? Part of me knows that I will feel some kind of relief and closure after crossing the finish line at CdA, but part of me wonders if I should look at other races.

Couple variables - I would be 99% sure of signing up for CdA again if they hadn't changed the bike course, and I'm a little concerned about the longer race times.

I loved the scenery in CdA, and I tend to lean towards hilly races because I train in Atlanta.  

Advice is greatly appreciated

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2012-11-14 3:46 PM

2012-11-14 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4498420

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Second attempt at Ironman..what would you do?

I think finishing on ANY course would be vindication.  However, I'm sure there may be the tiniest of voices thinking this particular course got you that day and it would be icing on the cake to go out there and beat it.

I'm sure there would be just a touch more satisfaction to get it.

2012-11-14 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4498432

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Kido - 2012-11-14 3:53 PM

I think finishing on ANY course would be vindication.  However, I'm sure there may be the tiniest of voices thinking this particular course got you that day and it would be icing on the cake to go out there and beat it.

I'm sure there would be just a touch more satisfaction to get it.

I'm with Kido.

Plus you'd be AMAZED how much familiarity with a venue makes you feel more comfortable.  That's one of the reasons I like to go train on courses I will race on (if I can).  I didn't get to do that for Kona and I definitely felt lost most of the first few days I was there and I totally misjudged where things were on the run course.  And even though I drove the bike course everything looks different on two wheels and I spent a lot of the day wondering "how much farther is _____".

Also, if you do CdA you won't hve to train in the worst of the Georgia summer heat...BONUS!

So I think familiarity with the CdA venue will give you a huge boost race day/week!

2012-11-14 4:07 PM

User image

Having DNFd my first IM for medical reasons, I was quite happy to go back and take care of some unfinished business

2012-11-14 4:50 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm all in with the advice given so far.  There would be no question in my mind that I'd want to return and finish where I'd left off.  As has been mentioned, familiarity with a venue is worth a lot in terms of physical and mental preparation. 

2012-11-14 5:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I would trust your heart in this.

Does the date work for your life with training time before race?

Does the race fit your skill set or strengths...cold water? time of year? hilly bike? ect

Does going back excite you, bring back memories of your DNF or what?

A flatter IM is not easier but most folks are faster. Would more time help you emotionally as you train and race?

I did IMLP then IMC, then IMFL. I enjoyed a course that fit my skill set better and gave me a bit more margin of time with a faster bike course. Most women over 45 that have done IMLP and IMFL are about hour faster on the bike at FL.

Sometimes triathletes like to do what is challenging and hard. After doing that for 2 IMs, I prefer doing one that matches my strengths better.

Having lost 50 pounds you will be in a much better position in IM for bike and run. Congrats!

2012-11-14 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4498546

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Thanks for all the feedback! Kathy, I think you hit the nail on the head.  As much as I know that I will be much stronger on this attempt, what I've read about the course being 30-45 minutes slower makes me nervous.  Trying to temper my urge to get vindication with setting myself up for the best possible race day scenario!

I'm definitely in love with CdA, and don't really have negative feelings about the venue.  I was planning to go out there next year and volunteer to have some refreshed memories of the course and check out the bike course.  The swim didn't concern me at all once I'd done some cold water swimming in Feb/Mar prior to the race and swim being in the lake compared to ocean was definitely a plus.

I suppose I know the answer to my question but I do have some concern with the revised course.  

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2012-11-14 7:12 PM
2012-11-14 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
But perhaps having been on the course, having DNF'd, having a renewed focus, having lost those 50 pounds, having 1.5 years to really train to the course.......

Perhaps you will be 30-45 minutes faster?

What is causing folks to be slower on the changed course? Hills? Or was it simply conditions of the day-windy, heat, cold? Knowing most of the course and asking folks about the part you have not done will enable you to really hone in on a particular element in training.

Only you can answer whether to do CdA again-revenge is a sweet tonic.

Zanne
2012-11-17 8:03 AM

User image

New user

You should go back to finish unfinished work. You will be faster next time for sure, so I think CDA is the right place to be. I am pretty sure about that, especially when I look at your web page profile picture Smile. But you know that by now. Good luck on your journey.

2012-11-17 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
I'd say that finishing IM anywhere as a huge accomplishment. If you have trepidation, skip it and find one you feel better about. I say no shame in trying another race. Not sure how many races you'll do, but it might be fun to do another venue brie you "retire".
2012-11-20 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

What makes you think CDA will be 30-45 mins slower?  I know they keep changing the course, but it sounds like it is flatter now.  

It might help to look at the enhanced results over at ST to get an idea of the finish times for the different races.

Anyway, good luck with it and I hope to see you out there training.  

2012-11-20 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4504957

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh

I just DNF'd my first IM this weekend....Arizona. Dehydration and heat exhaustion. Obviously I am heartbroken. I was prepared and my legs felt fantastic but my stomach was revolting and no liquids were staying in. I was so sick and woozy that I sat down at the turn around almost 100 miles into the bike, and next thing I know I was in an ambulance. Coming from cold, cloudy Pittsburgh, the strong Arizona sun was too much for me and I just couldn't handle the heat.

I think that one day I will come back and do this course again because I loved it and enjoyed every second that I was out on the course. I want to do another 140.6 in 2013 but with IMAZ selling out in 40 seconds, the next chance I will have for it would be 2014 and only if I come to volunteer next year.

It's a personal decision, but for me, I will be happy with finishing any 140.6 and one day in the future I want to come back to Arizona because it really is a great race. 

2012-11-20 1:11 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
If you are really just getting back to training after a 2-year layoff, maybe it's too soon to make this decision.  Obviously, being 50lbs lighter is going to be a huge help (congrats!).  But why don't you just start training and see where things sit next spring as a decision for '14 comes closer.  Make sure you are where you want to be at that point before committing yourself to a training ramp that may create plenty of pressure under the best circumstances.  There's no reason success in '15, for example, wouldn't provide every bit as much 'vindication' (really, self-satisfaction) as doing it in '14.  Keep your goal, but don't get too fixated by a date on the calendar.  Best of luck!
2012-11-20 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4504957

User image

New user
Salisbury

It wasn't conditions, conditions were good this year,Most but not all think the bike course was 30-45 minutes slower, slow long climbs and a few no passing zones were blamed by most. I don't think the no passing zones slowed anyone down by more then a few minutes. IMO 

That said Atlanta runner girl , I would go back if it was me. I would feel like I had unfinished business , and you said your lighter will be in better shape, and what better motivation could you have?

I will be back in 2014 because I loved the race and time frame of training all winter and spring.

Hope to see you in Idaho

2012-11-21 12:49 AM

New user
Bonney Lake

I would also go back if I was you. If you can plan and train to finish then go back and kill it. The new bike as opposed to the old is close to the same in my mind. A couple no passing zones but nothing that will kill you. The hills are longer on the new course but the down hill does not have the sharp turns anymore. My time on the new course was faster by a bit over 30 min. The thing I do not like about the new bike course is on the ride out. It is against traffic, so going up those long hills the cars are a cone away and that bothered me a little. In the end it was ok.

I have a marathon that has killed me twice and I will go back until I can get a time I like and not bonk on it.

CDA is great and I will be back again. Come back and kill that course with the rest of us!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Second attempt at Ironman..what would you do? Rss Feed