Spartan Race
54F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 11m 31s
Overall Rank = 2652/2966
Age Group = women
Age Group Rank = 679/812
Pre-race routine:

I actually ended up helping out in the "future race" tent, trying to talk people into signing up for the Beast in 2013. It was very cold, very, windy, with intermittent rain showers. I was jumping up and down a lot trying to keep warm.
Event warmup:

Just walking through the mud to get to the start line was a warm up in itself...yet taking photos with all of the Weeple Army in our starting wave, coupled with the yelling and chanting right before the gun was enough to get any blood flowing!
Run
  • 6h 11m 31s
  • 13 miles
  • 28m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I was cold, under trained, and unprepared. I did it though, and I NEVER had ANY thoughts of giving up. Never.
Running in that thick mud, up and down hills, is not something I really could have trained for. hills, yes; mud, not so much.
What would you do differently?:

More mileage, much more strength training, and I am thinking some rock climbing would have really helped with my grip issues.
Post race
Warm down:

I wasn't warm. I was FREEZING. I got into my truck, muddy clothes and all, and drove home blasting the heater, and then immediately took the hottest, best shower ever.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain and wind; that and my amazing capacity for not training.

Event comments:

This race was well organized and well set up. They (Spartan Race) delivered on their promises of a very tough race. The weather added a whole 'nother level of difficulty, in fact, I heard more people claiming that they had never seen more ambulances at a race than that one. There were quite a few people who had hypothermic symptoms and had to leave the race. Thankfully, my thermo stuff did a great job. I did the race with a small camelback with a bit of room to carry 3 Gu packets and 3 protein bars, plus one container of electrolyte drink...I ate one protein bar and drank the electrolyte--I barely touched the water in my pack (the valve was WAY muddy), but I did partake of the water at all 4 water stations. I was very slow--but I didn't do this race for speed--it was all for fun.
I had a great time. I can't wait to do this race again in April...and AGAIN in November. And I can now say without feeling silly: "I AM A SPARTAN!" :)

Last updated: 2012-11-19 12:00 AM
Running
06:11:31 | 13 miles | 28m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/812
Overall: 0/2966
Performance: Below average
Course: MUD, mud, and more mud....plus a crap ton of hills, mostly steep all of mud. every so often there were obstacles thrown in, occasional water stations, and then some pools of water (yeah, sometimes it was questionable as to what was in that water!) to wade through... The course started just inside the festival area, and then immediately went over a hill. Part of the mystique that the Spartan Race series offers is the Mental aspect--you don't know the distance, the course, the type and number of obstacles in place, or how hard it will be--you just have to go. Immediately after the crest of the hill came the first obstacle--3 foot tall hills with thigh deep pools of water in between; and each hill was slippery and steep, so VERY difficult to climb out of the water. Between the rain and wind chill, it was REALLY cold! After that obstacle, about 100 feet later came the first set of hurdles--4 foot tall walls followed by horizontal posts (about 3 feet tall) attached to shade cloth that was about 15 feet long beyond the posts--we had to hop the walls then crouch under the posts and shade cloth...3 times...With all of the rain and mud, that cloth was HEAVY. Thanks to my fellow spartans,who held up the cloth (as I also did for those behind me), it wasn't TOO bad. Of course the trail so far was also nice sticky, clay-ey mud so that truly helps the running, RIGHT? Anyway, after that it was a 1/4 mile run along a flat area to a slight incline which led us to the next obstacle, the stump jump--multiple posts vertically planted into the ground anywhere from a foot tall too 3 feet tall, with only enough surface area for the ball of one foot. You kind of have to hop or take long steps to each one--it was about 6-7 of them--I got across 5 then fell; so my first set of burpees--30 of 'em. Yuck. We then took off on the 'trail' of mud and ran to the next obstacles, the monkey bars--about 8 feet off the ground at differing widths and heights between each bar. Yup. couldn't even hang on..30 more burpees...And at that point a team member of mine showed up--in terrible shape--she forgot her inhaler and was having pretty bad asthma issues thanks to the wind and cold. Me and a few others did a sort of group hug thing to shield her from wind until another person showed up who had an inhaler on them. She insisted on going on, and did so. After this point, it all came down to more hills, more sticky mud, more obstacles. I can't even remember what order or how far everything was at this point...It was a long time and it was mostly walked, as by mile 4 my left hip was in major pain--here's some obstacles and other stuff that I remember: Barbed Wire Crawl--100 feet of crawling in mud--the barbed wire was 2-3 feet above the ground depending on location--and there were small hills in it, putting the wire at about 1.5 feet high up in spots. Thankfully, the mud was very slick, making it easy to move across. the 6 foot wall hurdles--these walls were 6 feet high (7 inches taller than me, for the record)--I got over them with boosts from people (who knew that a complete stranger pushing my butt over the wall would be so helpful and encouraged?!), though I did get a nasty bruise on my chest from the wall itself! Still, I got over all 3 of 'em. Rope climb #1--12 feet high with knots, over hip deep water...of course by this point, we are all so covered with mud and rained on, the water obstacles were welcomed because they clean you off! My hands were so stiff and cold, I couldn't get a decent grip--into the water, and out to do 30 more burpees. Right before this obstacle, the teammate I ran with for the whole race and I both saw the promotion director as we ran(ok, WALKED) by--she yelled "Spartans don't walk!"--bad mistake...my teammate ran over and hugged her and then proceeded to put to giant muddy hand prints on her butt. I needed a laugh there, so that was awesome. I did some tire flips, a rock carry (that one was EASY--just like a normal workday, building exhibits!), and dragged a 50# stone up and down a steep, slippery hill by a length of chain. I attempted to make it across a traverse wall--a board with little bits of wood placed high and low at differing distances across--again, my grip failed me...30 more burpees--I think a team mate took photos of that burpee session! Another crazy obstacle--a bit of hill, you then put a big rubber band around your ankles, and then HOP up, around, and then down the hill. yuck. Still did it. There was a cliff climb--REALLY vertical steep wall of mud, and a rope that you use to climb up it...no grip, no wall, 30 more burpees. At least I was warmed by those. By this point (about 10 miles in) I was so tired, but I had NO thoughts of stopping or giving up. We also had a pond crossing, not terribly deep, but there was a crossing of a mud flat at the end of it about 15 feet of knee-deep clay/mud...People lost shoes. Lots of people. I made it through the mud kind of easily, I think just cause I pointed my toes when I was lifting my feet out, but then I came back to help out a few other people, and nearly got stuck--my shoes never came off though! :) The other trench/pool crossings--one had 6-8 feet tall hills followed by a steep slide down into hip deep water; I was okay until the 3rd one when I bashed my bad knee on a hidden rock while trying to climb out. That is where I had my first emotional moment, luckily, I got over it. The other trench/pool was a long trench about 1.5 feet deep with barbed wire 2 feet above it. No worries about the height, but that had to be the FOULEST water I have ever been in. The smell and feel of it was terrible. ICK. Still got through it though. We did another barbed wire crawl, similar to the first, but longer and it went uphill, then came the 8 foot walls. 3 of them...even with help, I failed. 30 more burpees. At that point, we were at mile 12.5. We came around the corner, and saw the festival, then it was carrying a 40# sandbag (on your shoulders or in your arms) up and down another hill. I did that, we crossed another hill, then it was the Spear Throw. I missed. 30 more burpees. Then the last real obstacle--the slippery wall--it had ropes, but my hands had swelled to muppet sized proportions and I still had no real grip. so it didn't happen. No burpees though, I went straight to the jump over the fire, and into the gladiator pit...and there was only 1!!! I feel so wronged--there had been 3 hot gladiators earlier, and I get one 'meh' one?!?! Lame. Although I think I ran (more of a hobble)towards him going "no, no, no!"--not sure why, I knew I would get hit with the pugile stick...I wasn't quite mentally there though--It was definitely MORE than 13 miles! And then the finish line, my medal, and quite possibly the best banana I have ever eaten.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-11-19 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: Sacramento Spartan Beast

2012-11-19 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4504187

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Sacramento Spartan Beast
Those races are a lot of fun - hard, but fun!  Congrats on a great, muddy job
2012-11-19 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Thanks! I was cracking up, quite a few of the people I talked to were telling me that I was hardcore because I did triathlons---these same people had done this type of race multiple times! I was thinking ok no, not really--swimming, biking, and running requires great athletic ability and endurance, but I find the strength and psychological fortitude needed for obstacle racing a lot harder to achieve!  Maybe they thought by "triathlon" I meant "Ironman"???? I made sure they knew I did little distances...Ah well.
2012-11-19 9:34 PM

User image

Seattle
Nice work and great attitude. Sounds like a lot of fun!
2012-11-20 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow! A 13 mile run AND all of those obstacles! DANG! I think the burpees would've killed me.  HATE THOSE!

Nice job, my hat is off to you!!!!!!!!!!

2012-11-20 12:15 PM

User image

Melon Presser

YOU ARE the Sacramento Spartan Beast!

That is a long, cold, muddy, clayey sticky slippery race ... but you are The Beast!

2012-11-20 12:56 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Holy crazy, challenging obstacles, Batman!  Wow!!  And burpees for punishment?  Evil.  Great job persevering through cold, wet, injuries, and more to finish the madness!

And you totally could've trained for the mud...build a mud pit in your back yard, duh!!   KIDDING, completely kidding!!!

2012-11-20 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4505084

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
melbo55 - 2012-11-20 10:56 AM

Holy crazy, challenging obstacles, Batman!  Wow!!  And burpees for punishment?  Evil.  Great job persevering through cold, wet, injuries, and more to finish the madness!

And you totally could've trained for the mud...build a mud pit in your back yard, duh!!   KIDDING, completely kidding!!!

hmmm....actually I COULD.....That's just crazy enough to work! Laughing

2012-11-20 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Crazy race. You should be proud of yourself for sticking with it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sacramento Spartan Beast Rss Feed