Gobbler Grind Marathon
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 21m 25s
Overall Rank = 73/165
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/13
Pre-race routine:

I contemplated not doing this race as my first dose of Plantar Fasciitis showed up two weeks before race day. I went from 77 miles in September to 164 miles in October so no big suprise about something happening there. The PF showed up in full force during a 12 mile training run, the pain so bad I had to stop. Went to doc the next week, saw a PT the day after. I hadn't run for two weeks, only some swimming, cycling and one elyptical session. I didn't follow a 16, 18 or 20 week plan as I jumped into this right after my HIM in September. So basically this was a 7 week condensed marathon training plan. I sort of followed the tail end of a Higdon plan. My 20 mile training run the week before the PF showed up went very well. But isn't that how it goes with running ......

So I expected pain for this race and was of the understanding that I would not make the full twenty six point frickin' two ......

Woke up at 5:30, took wake up shower, ate cheerios with honey and skim milk. Packed stuff, headed to Starbucks.
Event warmup:

Met Jon, Patrick and Brandon in the Starbucks parking lot near the race. We then drove in closer to the race start. Walked over to race area to chit chat for a while. Brandon did a 50K road race with lots of hills the day before, now he was running the full with us. He's turning into one of those ultra guys! I drank most of my coffee, then did some light stretching.
Run
  • 4h 21m 25s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

OK, so there's a big crowd at the start, not sure how many started but finish wise there were 165 full, 752 half and 345 5K runners. Everyone started at the same time. The road was wide so no issues at the start. I decided that I would try and run around 8:45 pace for which the start made that easy. I was with Patrick, Jon and Brandon at the start but I knew those three would pick it up within the first few miles. It was Patricks first full but I figured he'd go sub 3:40 for sure and I was pretty sure Jon would also. I didn't know about Brandon since he ran 50K just the day before.

So I get to about mile 3, I'm at about 26 minutes or so so right around target pace but I notice the PF pain is becoming more and more present. So I decided to run more on my heels than I normally would. Just an experiment I guess in an attempt to counteract the pain. It seemed to work as the steady not so excruciating pain remained at a tolerable level. You do a couple loops on the roads/trails in the Corporate Woods area then come back near the race start/finish area after about 6.5 miles or so. My friend Dave was volunteering near the finish chute said hello as I passed by, all was good so far. I passed a couple nice piglets wearing matching shirts with "You just got Chicked" on the back, told them "love the shirts" as I passed them.

The next time I would see Dave would be around mile 13. And so it was, and I was still feeling OK with the exception that I felt a little more fatiqued than I should after only 13 miles. As I want past the race finish area I could see port-a-potties on the other side of the loop and being I had to go, I decided to not have to deal with holding it in, using more energy than necessary. Not sure how long that took, maybe 3-4 minutes or so. One more loop around the Corporate Woods area then we headed back for the final out&back section which started at about mile 16. The turnaound is just past mile 21. As I get to around mile 17 or so I see Patrick, looking stong, then a minute or so later I see Jon, who's also looking good. A few minutes later I see Brandon, all 3 of them looking good at that stage of the race. I can tell I'm starting to slow down a bit but I'm accepting of that fact.

I then get to mile 19 and my quads and hamstrings are really feeling it and are starting to get stiff. The cramping starts and so starts the run/walk routine I was hoping would not come. Those short little hills suddenly become very annoying for which I had to virtually walk up in an effort to prevent my leg cramps from become SEVERE leg cramps. Another runner and I were trading run/walk duties, when he was walking, I'd run past him, when I was walking, he'd run past me. He looked like he was in his mid to late 20's so eventually I think he found his second wind and I saw the last of him around mile 24 or so.

The only food on the course was at the mile 20 aid station which consisted of GU, GU and maybe some GU. I look with me a zip-loc with some fig bars as my nutrition and at those at around mile 11 and mile 16, had the GU at mile 20. I lived off the course for hydration but the cups were very small, maybe 4 oz at best. I mostly took gatorade to get some additional calories and electrolytes.

Miles 21 to the finish were slow, lonely at times and did I mention slow! The race started with neary 1300 runners and by this time there were less than 150 marathoners out there. Luckily it was an out&back so I would see a runner/walker come by in the opposite direction. I got passed by a few people who were actually still RUNNING ...l

It seemed like an eternity to go from miles 24 to the finish. There's a hill at around mile 24.5 that's like a slap in the face at that point of the race. I just death-walked my arse up that little hill. As I got to mile marker 26 I could see the finish but you have to loop around the last 0.2 miles and just as I mustered up enough energy to fake a strong finish, I cramped up big time. I had to stop, bent over to stretch the hammies, then tried again. Moved a few hundred yards, I could hear Jon, Patrick and Brandone yelling "come on Reece, you're almost home...". Then I cramped up big time again, had to stop. Bent over to stretch the hammies again, rose up and was able to run all the way to the finish, did my best to look strong for the finish photo. DONE, FINALLY!
What would you do differently?:

Um, follow a realistic marathon training plan or at least be at 100 or more mile per week before I start some crazy abbreviated 7 week training plan. I could have easily switched my race to the half and just ran a conservative 8:30 pace but I saw too little challenge in that plus the likelihood of me trying to go out too hard was higher risk than with the Marathon. I probably would have tried to PR that half or something crazy like that.

First 13.1 miles: 1:54:08
Second 13.1 miles: 2:27:17
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finishers medal, ate a banana, apple, some oranges, drank water, what, no chocolate milk? I'm surpired by how many long endurance races don't have protein at the finish. Jon, Patrick, Brandon and I got our picture taken then we headed to the cars, said a quick goodbye and went home. There was some serious relaxing time and football watching to be done!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure I could have gone faster. Had I gone out with my normal gait I may have been under substantial pain to where I'd have pulled out of the race. As I'm writing this report now it seems as though my PT is still in the healing stage, it actually feels better today than 3 days before the race. What really hurts now is my quads. It's hard just standing up and sucks going up/down stairs. Going down the stairs it's one step at a time. So I think I'm paying the price for the newly implemented heel strike style running. How much of it is the fact that I hadn't run for two weeks straight?

Event comments:

Overall I would give this race a "Fair" rating. It's pretty low key but it is organized, but with only 1300 runners I think keeping it organized shouldn't be that difficult a task. There were plenty of volunteers and an ample number of aid stations. There were lots of course markings in the form of directional arrows. The finishers medals were HUGE (I'll post pics when I get them). I was hoping for more than just apples, bananas, oranges and water at the finish.

What was kind of a bummer was the lack of people at the finish. I think there was like 50 spectators left when I came in. All the 5K and Half Marathoners were gone! I guess I"ll need to sign up for an Ironman if I want a spectator packed finish.

Last updated: 2012-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
04:21:25 | 26.2 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 73/165
Performance:
Course: Two loops in the Corporate Woods area, some streets, some paved trails to about mile 16. The last 10 miles on paved trails with some short hills, the steepest between mile 24 and 25 of course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-11-19 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Gobbler Grind Marathon

2012-11-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4504375

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Gobbler Grind Marathon
You showed a lot of character out there, toughing it out through the PF. Congratulations on finishing.
2012-11-20 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Congrats on toughing through a rough one. Good job!
2012-11-20 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
I HATE it when they make you pass the finish line and keep going - it's like their own special taunt to all the fatigued runners! Congratulations on finishing a tough race.
2012-11-20 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4504839

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

amd723 - 2012-11-20 9:24 AM I HATE it when they make you pass the finish line and keep going - it's like their own special taunt to all the fatigued runners! Congratulations on finishing a tough race.

Amen to that! Nice job staying strong!

2012-11-20 11:32 AM

User image

Seattle
Hey, great job! All of that and you still pulled out a respectable time! I can't wait to see what you can do when you train properly!!!!

2012-11-20 11:53 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Wow, unfortunate that your PF struck early, and that's surely what caused some of your other muscle aches and whatnot: changing your gait to try to make the PF better.  Heal, oh quick one, and give the next marathon h3ll!!  Nice run even though you were hurting.
2012-11-20 12:04 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Whaddaya mean, a 7-week marycram doesn't work?!?!?! There goes my Ironplan!

CONGRATULATIONS PEANUTBUTTER

Way to slide in right under the 10:00/mi mark, but most of all, for persevering to the bitter end despite pain and un-training.

You are a MARATHONER par excellence!

2012-11-20 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I had checked in a few times on your training log and had seen that you were injured. I don't know what I would have done in similar circumstances - I probably would've scrapped the whole race,a dn then whined about it. Congrats to you for toughing it out and finishing the race despite the obstacles.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gobbler Grind Marathon Rss Feed