Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » New Member - New to Tri's Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-20 8:13 PM

User image

Inglewood
Subject: New Member - New to Tri's

Hi fellow Queenslanders, I found you finally after searching beginner tri sites, and making a complete fool of myself.

Last year I watched my 2 daughters compete in the Texas 'Torture on the Border' and thought to myself "I would like to be involved in this"

At the time being almost 130kgs, unfit and completely useless, I started training, I bought a race bike, I got back into the pool after a several year hiatus. I am now down to 113kgs, I am riding up to 50kms at a time, swimming 60 laps of our little 25m pool in under 45 mins, I'm running up to 6ks averaging 6 minute ks.

I, along with my work collegues are competing in the local School Triathlon for fun (300m swim, 6k ride, 2k run) but we are taking it very seriously, and a bit of friendly banter. We are doing this as a bit of a lead up to the up and coming Biathlon early next year and then the Texas Tri.

If I am successful in these, I will look at the Gundy 'Hell of the West' the year after.

But i digress...

I need some advice, what is a good nutritional diet leading up to a race, do I carb load, protein, energy drinks, what do I do, I'm just not sure.

If anyone here is planning on attending any of these events (Texas or Gundy) I will keep an eye out.

Cheers

Shane

Edited by Batshane 2012-11-20 8:15 PM

2012-11-23 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4505558

User image

Expert
Noosa
Subject: RE: New Member - New to Tri's

Hi Shane, glad to hear you've got back into fitness and enjoying it. I think triathlon gives the perfect balance to keep fit and healthy. You don't say how tall you are but it sounds like getting your weight down should be a priority, it'll really help you get faster in cycling and running.

As far as pre-race nutrition, I wouldn't worry too much for sprint tri's. Just stick to your normal healthy diet with a decent amount of good carbs and protein. I normally have a coffee and some toast with jam for brekky before the race. You won't need anything else because its all over in a short time and you can always drink some sports drink on the bike or run. When you step up to the longer distances it'll become much more important.

Anyway, keep training and have fun!
2012-12-04 10:23 PM
in reply to: #4505558

User image

Inglewood
Subject: RE: New Member - New to Tri's

Thanks David, sorry to take so long to acknowledge your reply. Great advice thank you, I will worry less about nutrition next time

I am 187cm tall, and a solid boy and have got myself down to 111kg's now.

We did the school Tri, I came third behind my work colleague who came second and my 13yo daughter who came first. My daughter finished ages in front of us lol

I have improved my times in the pool, I am doing 60 laps in 35 minutes, I did my first 80 lap session yesterday so I am coming along nicely.

If you have any advice on running, I have slipped a bit as the temps are getting pretty high here.

Shane

New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » New Member - New to Tri's Rss Feed